4.0 out of 5 stars Another snapshot
Published on 11 July 2010 by Shopper 79

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing novel from an otherwise brilliant writer
Published on 16 Nov 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing novel from an otherwise brilliant writer, 16 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Contemporary Classics) (Paperback)
I would consider myself a 'fan' of Margaret Atwood, but not of this novel. The protagonists in her other works, while humanly flawed, usually have redeeming qualities, and draw you into their lives. There is nothing in any of the characters in this book that enabled me to care about them. Its only redeeming feature was, for me, the description of the political instability of the island, which had great contemporary comparisons. Those who, like me, embraced works such as 'The Handmaid's Tale', 'The Robber Bride', et al, should not take this as a guarantee of enjoyment. I guess it's her ability to write about completely different subjects, and in completely different styles, that make her such a great writer, but this one did very little for me, I'm afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is pretty morbid stuff, 15 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Contemporary Classics) (Paperback)
If you like a story with a beginning a middle and an end you may be disappointed with this work. Despite Atwood's accepted prowess as a teller of tales, she is a Booker Prizewinner, I was less than satisfied with this one. It is the story of a travel journalist who is on assignment in a small country not far from Barbados and Grenada. While Rennie is on the island there is an attempted coup to overthrow the government. Rennie is involved with the insurgence who claim the president is corrupt, which he probably is. Atwood uses flashbacks to explain what makes Rennie who she is. This is expertly done though the book seems to be more a profile of a damaged lady than the promised thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another snapshot, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Contemporary Classics) (Paperback)
When I received the book I thought I'd just read the beginning to get an idea of what it was like, and suddenly found myself several pages in. I am a great Margaret Atwood fan, and I am aware some find her stories lacking in beginning, middle and end - but I love the way she writes stories about people from where they are, giving us a snapshot of their lives at that time - be it for a few months or a few weeks. Whose story really starts at the beginning of an event and finishes at the end? This is written more in the 'jumping into the life' style of 'Life before man' or the 'The Edible Woman' rather than the more traditional story style of 'Oryx and Crake' or 'The Handmaids Tale'.

I enjoyed the intrigue of this book and would recommend it to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
I guess I made a bad choice - I have not read anything by this author before. The book was good enough to finish (just), but not good enough to make me want to read another one. Surprising, given all the plaudits she gets. Perhaps the emperor has no clothes?

Well crafted in the technical sense, yes, but I didn't see much else to the book. The humour was insufficient to keep me amused and I could not identify at all with the damaged central character. The chaotic background of a Carribean island in political turmoil was well enough done - but that's nothing new.

Bodily Harm (Contemporary Classics)
Bodily Harm (Contemporary Classics) by Margaret Atwood (Paperback - 19 Sep 1996)
6.29