5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!
Published on 2 Jan 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving but with some assumptions
Published on 28 Sep 2009 by Dog crazy

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 2 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dogs Never Lie About Love: Why Your Dog Will Always Love You More Than Anyone Else: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book written in a friendly manner as though the author is engaged in conversation with the reader. Jeffrey Masson adopts three dogs to give himself "a pack" and then examines the emotional behaviour of these animals in particular, and researches and recounts tales of others. This is a fascinating and heart-warming book written by a man with a real sympathy with dogs and a true love of the canine species. A good read leaving the reader with plenty of food-for-thought.

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving but with some assumptions, 28 Sep 2009
This is a truly moving account of the emotional world of dogs.Masson has an inate understanding of what's going on inside the dog's mind. Some of the accounts brought me to tears, especially the dog who brought food to another dog stuck down a mine shaft.From his writings on Freud though, I know that Masson has a tendency to make assumptions, and misunderstand the situation, so I was cautious reading this book. Sure enough, his observations came from his own small group of four dogs,[a very limited sample compared to those who have worked with and trained hundreds of dogs].Still worth reading though, and I think overall he does kind of get what is going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching yet uplifting., 11 May 1999
By A Customer
For dog-owners, this book tells you what you already knew. Namely, how very special our canine companions are. There are stories which will upset readers but, nevertheless, the message to the book has to be one of joy. Dogs are wonderful creatures and we could perhaps learn a little from their faithful nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love dogs, you should read this book!, 24 Feb 2009
P. W. Herron "Pete Herron" (Padova, Italia) - See all my reviews
This was the first book I read when I was trying to understand if my love of dogs was something that other people felt too. Here I discovered that I am not alone and that my hunches about the special qualities that dogs undoubtedly have are appreciated by many others. And here is the evidence (which I didn't really need) to show us why dogs are so loveable. Nobody who loves dogs could fail to love this book, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book full of 'true isms' about your own dog, 29 Jun 2014
Great book full of 'true isms' about your own dog.. If you own a dog, you will be able to identify with loads of the descriptions of the behaviour of pet dogs. I really enjoyed the read, and made me love my dogs all the more !

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 24 Jun 2014
It has all sorts of nuggets of information and just broadens your understanding of dogs and how they think about the world

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 22 Jan 2014
This book found hard to get into. In fact still trying. Keep trying but not really for me. Although I guess others will differ to agree.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a must read for dog lovers., 28 Nov 2013
This book was lent to me by a friend. I enjoyed it so much I just had to have my own copy. A must read for dog lovers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for animal lovers, 12 April 2013
This is a very good book, in my opinion. It writes what we already thought, dogs and other animals are highly intelligent. In my experience rats too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great insight, 3 Mar 2013
Mrs C "Chris in Hampshire" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this book as a Christmas gift for a friend so have not totally read it. I did however have a look through and read some parts of it to get a feel for the book to make sure I had made the right choice to give my friend.

It seemed to be a book full of great, useful and amazing information into the dog's mind and how they need to be treated to live in harmony with us humans.

When you have a dog, or any pet for that matter, all knowledge is useful and never wasted. We can never learn too much about these beautiful faithful animals.