5.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy inn-keeper's view of the nativity
A look at the Christmas story throught the eyes of a grumpy inn keeper who loses out on a lot of sleep. My kids LOVE this book, and 'ROUND THE BACK!' has become a catchphrase in our family. The book is neither pious nor irreverent, but tells the nativity story in a way kids find fun. Great stuff!
Published on 20 Nov. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars book
This came on time and in great condition my only regret is that I was unaware that it was mini book. I dont like mini books as they are hard for children to see properly and I was using it in a nursery setting. little disapointed by this but on the whole the service was great.
Published on 19 Dec. 2010 by wendy anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy inn-keeper's view of the nativity, 20 Nov. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful!, 17 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Paperback)
I have used this book in my classroom for several years. The children BEG to have it read on a daily basis. It adds an element of reality to an otherwise very solemn event in a comical yet engaging manner. Parents often ask me what book am I reading because their children come home retelling it. My only concern is that it is no longer available here in the States. If you don't have it, you should plan to make it part of your Christmas collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem!, 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Paperback)
This is one of those books that should be on all children's bookshelves - 'round the back' is now a family catchphrase. A wonderful, wonderful little book. I challenge anyone to read this aloud and not get caught up in the excitement!

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful zany view of Christmas as it might well have been, 24 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Paperback)
Jesus' arrival - so far as the inn keeper is concerned - is just one more thing when he longs to go to sleep. People interrupt him every time he drops off; the door-knocker never stops; first its shepherds, then its... well you know the story! but you have never heard it told like this.
and at the end? well there is a really brilliant surprise ending.
oh and the drawings are just cool. Well our children think they are, and we just love reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some humor for Christmas, 10 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Paperback)
THis book is adored by my kids, even out of Xmas. It adds some humor to the way in which the arrival of Mary and Joseph is unwelcome by the innkeeper. He just can't get to sleep until...well, have a laugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, Different, easy to follow nativity Story, 22 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Charming, different interpretation of the nativity ideal for very young children to get some idea of what Christmas is about - without having to go into detail that they may not understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Nov. 2008
...in the way it puts a different slant on the story of Jesus's birth. Yes, He was the Saviour. Yes, He was God made man. Yes, His birth belied His divine origins, etc. etc. "Jesus' Christmas Party" turns the story around by looking at it from the innkeeper's -- heretofore very much a minor character -- perspective and makes it rather funny and, in the process, rather magical and human at the same time without trivializing it. The illustrations, as all good illustrations will, enhance and enliven the words beautifully. This remains one of my favourite books. I got it years ago from a cheap bookshop and my daughter -- then six or so? -- and my husband and I loved it so much that I bought more copies and gave it to friends and relatives that I especially liked. The Mini Treasures edition makes it just the right size for little hands and is also perfect for packing in your purse for travelling and posting. I posted my last copy today to a friend living in America who had a baby this year and have just realized that I may not have a copy myself. Panic! Good thing Amazon's got it, whew.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best christmas stories ever., 18 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Hardcover)
This book is one of the real highlights of our Christmas reading. It looks at Christmas from the inn keeper's view. Although this is pure speculation, it is very funny. It has become one of our party pieces for Christmas, with the girls playing the part of inn keepers. This is a must for children from 2 to 80.
Steve Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 29 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Paperback)
This is a truly lovely story about the birth of Jesus. I bought it for my grandaughter as I have used it so many times in Sunday School. Children enjoy the simple story and adults enjoy the humour in the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Christmas resource, 4 Jan. 2014
C. Kidd (Dibden, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus' Christmas Party (Paperback)
One of my favourite resources for the Christmas season is Jesus' Christmas Party by Nicholas Allan.

Nicholas Allan writes and illustrates the nativity through the eyes of a grumpy inn keeper who is unexpectedly at the centre of Jesus' birth. The story follows him as he is woken up repeatedly by Mary and Joseph and guests visiting the newborn.

I first heard of the book when I was a child and it was used for a Sunday School drama to present the Christmas narrative to the whole church. As a children's and youth worker I've used it numerous times, be it with young pre-school children, older teenagers, or non-Christian adults. The book is easy for people to follow and join in, and yet still allows for profounds truths to be taught.

It can be bought in a number of sizes - from A6 just to fit in the pocket and use to tell a large group of people, to a large A4 size which a class of children can crowd around and look at the pictures.

Jesus' Christmas Party
Jesus' Christmas Party by Nicholas Allan (Paperback - 3 Oct. 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01