5.0 out of 5 stars mind blower, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: In the Mind of the Machine: Breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (Paperback)
Kevin Warwick is a highly erudite and knowledgeable scientist who is (or was)the robotics professor at Readimg University. He makes a compelling argument on the dangers of the continuing development of Artificial Intelligence, (which will undoubtedly go on because as Warwick says "We can, and we will". it's many years since I read his book and I want to do so again, and also buy it for my children, I think that now they are responsible adults they need to know of this threat that could well sideswipe us into some sort of living hell, or death. There have been many scientific advances since this foresighted book was written, and some popular films made on this very subject, It hasnn't gone amiss from public consciousnessand that these films are in some way pre-emptive of a possible outcome regarding the extinction of Homo Sapiens by machine intelligence, which is the subject of this very powerful book. I'll be interested to see how much closer we may be to this threatening disaster, by looking at modern advances regarding robtics and AI. (Although I have my doubts that a lot of data is available)
To all those who are interested in the dangers we may be in regarding A.I. this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable and enjoyable, 19 Jan 2013
I'm surprised there aren't more reviews of this book. Kevin Warwick's writing is very like his speech when talking (watch him on Youtube), he's very direct and no-nonsense. This book pre-dates the Matrix trilogy films but in many ways deals with the real science behind robotics and AI which is every bit as thought provoking and portentous as the Matrix trilogy is for AI. Warwick sweeps aside the past failures of AI to deliver on a very limiting set of objectives based on modelling human intelligence. He suggests instead looking at what different kinds of built entities that exhibit behaviour can achieve, and more scarily where it may lead. I am currently reading his more recent account of AI and it shares much of the same style as this book. It is important in scientific work to retain that sense of awe and fascination that got you into it in the first place and Kevin Warwick's book helps do just that.

In the Mind of the Machine: Breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence