Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2001
this book rates as one of my son's favourite books - and we have a great selection here- it is ideal for 3-6 year olds even if they are not mad about trains
it tells the story of an eventful journey this little steam train takes to bring relief to a snowbound village
the illustrations are wonderful - witty, colourful and exciting and vividly bring to life an era of country living which has almost gone and is totally unfamiliar to the vast majority of town born children
as the mother of 4 children who all love books i cannot rate this one highly enough
buy it
the text is lyrical, funny with just the right amount of repetitive train sounds ideal for a child to join in
on 15 December 2001
The story is very simple and the illustrations are very detailed allowing children to dicover something new all the time.
The story repeats itself and the very young children will enjoy pretending to read it.
It stimulates discussion between the adult and the child.
A great book for pre-school children.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 February 2015
Not as wordy as (the original) Thomas, these stories are perfect read-aloud books with lots of sound effects that do sound train-like and some engaging stories that always hold my son's attention.

This adventure follows Duffy Driver and the Little Red Train on a day's travelsnas they find lots of rescues need undertaking - in flood, snow and high winds. And they still make it home for supper and bed.

Lovely warm tound-trip stories with a train that doesn't need a face to still feel heroic. Easybfor a parent to read, lots of train facts you can explain to a child and some traditional-feel illustrstions that show lots of detail.

Great example of a superior picture book series.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 October 2011
This is a story about the little red train and his driver, Duffy, going on a journey. They encounter lots of bad weather and problems on the line as they go, but each time, Duffy and the little red train solve the problem, helping the passengers finally get to their destination. There is lots of repetition (including some good steam train noises!) and the illustrations are very detailed so there is lots to look at. A great bed time book and a hit with my 3 year old.
on 19 February 2013
These Little Red Train books are lovely, and my boy adores them. A good story for a preschool book, but its the pictures that set them apart. Beautifully detailed - always something new to spot and talk about with my son, who has to read one each night (and I mean I have to read one EVERY night!). We have the whole set and they are standing the test of time.

This is probably my favorite of them all.
on 16 October 2013
These excellent books are adored by small children. Apart from the interesting stories, the wonderfully detailed illustrations give an opportunity to expand a child's powers of observation and increases their knowledge.
on 1 October 2011
We have had this for few months, and our children (5 and 2) are still not bored of this. Pictures in all the books of this series are excellent, lots to look at, lots to find and added bonus of audio CD was a good choice. CD last aproximately 20 mins. Story is first read normally and then is followed by second track which prompts chidren to turn pages. With sounds effects of trains, but i must say those are little bit louder than the read word which i find unncessary, but boys are happy.
on 2 June 2014
We love the Little Red train stories. My son who is 3 is train mad, he loves Thomas and chugginton so I was very glad when I found this series. So far we have bought 3 of the books and they are all favourites. Highly recommend for a train mad little boy
on 12 August 2011
My son requests re-reads of this story all the time. The illustrations are just wonderful, you see new things all the time. After reading the story my son often lies in bed just poring over the pictures.
on 22 April 2010
Brilliant book. Wonderful illustrations. You see something new every time you look. Really makes children look and look.

Great story.

Treasured by 3 year old grandson.