4.0 out of 5 stars Freedom
Published on 27 May 2009 by H. Hewitt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enchanting as the cover blurb suggests
This is the sequel to the book Duncton Wood, where William Horwood first introduced the idea of moles and told us the tale of Rebecca and Bracken. Here we pick up the story with their son, Tryfan. We journey with him as he learns his task for the Stone; as he watches the rise of the Word and evil Henbane; and as he loves and loses the one mole he's destined for...
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by A. L. Rutter

4.0 out of 5 stars Freedom, 27 May 2009
H. Hewitt "'Avid Reader'" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duncton Quest (The Duncton Chronicles) (Mass Market Paperback)
Hello to all new fans of Duncton these books give you some inside view of moles and how they would perceive the world if you put human views on to them everybody needs something to believe in so why not them, and like all good fiction the story makes you cheer the hero's and comiserate when needed. The first time you read it the fantasy comes alive but if when older you reread them then you read and perceive with different eye's and views and although you know the ending you still cheer them on so go ahead enjoy yourselves read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 4 May 2013
Recommended to me by a friend and I must admit was rather hesitant as a book about moles did not rate highly on my reading list. Read the entire series in sequence (the 3 Chronicles and the 3 Silence) and I thoroughly enjoyed every book. Tended to think of the moles as being human rather than mole as you follow their lives of love, war and peace through the ages. Quite brutal in parts. William Horwood is an excellent writer and I would commend these books to anyone over the age of 18!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a stand-alone, 16 Jun 2003
M Farrar - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duncton Quest (Hardcover)
I admit that I have never read Duncton Wood or Duncton Found. I picked a hardback copy of this book up in a Christmas fete for 50p, thinking it looked okay. As it turned out it was more than okay. It was absolutely incredible.
How Mr. Horwood managed to write this book I don't know. It is massive and often looks like it is about to reach a dead, but never does. It's like it's already happened, the way he never comes to an uneasy halt despite a complex plot.
You really will come to love characters, good or evil, and find the death scenes very moving. I really must get hold of Duncton Found and find out what happens with the coming of the Stone Mole...
Superb Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel!, 18 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This is a worthy successor to Duncton Wood. Although it is certainly a deeper novel, focusing more on the religious aspects of the mole community. This is the first Duncton book to introduce the 'Word' vs 'Stone' theme, and is probably my favourite book of the six Duncton books published, mainly because whilst Horwood does dwell at length on the contrasts between the two mole religions, the story is still given equal importance, something I think is not apparent in the later books in the series. If you liked Duncton Wood, you should like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in the series, 15 Sep 2006
P. Arias Fernández "blonde_helen" (Seville, Spain) - See all my reviews
I have all 6 of the Duncton Books, and have read them literally hundreds of times, but this is definitely my favourite. Chartering the life of Bracken and Rebecca's son Tryfan, this book moves you to tears, and stirs up such emotion that you forget that these are moles, and not people. I recommend these books to anyone who is interested in adventure, emotion and a fantastic story. When will the film be made??

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 May 2010
This review is from: Duncton Quest (Hardcover)
Second episode of the Duncton trilogy, it is an absorbing and and exciting adventure in which the moles behave as humans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The second chronicle, 8 May 2004
The second in the Duncton Chronicles. A very well written story of the troubles and strifes of moledom laying in wait for the Stone Moles coming. An excellent fantasy book, dealing with issues of religion, conflicting beliefs, love and community. For those of you who haven't read Duncton Wood, the story is very easy to pick up and follow as i myself began the chronicles with this book. It is truely captivating and a great read. I would recommend this book even to those of you who don't quite get on with the idea of animals talking etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating story, 19 May 2003
M Farrar - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. I've never read any of the other Duncton books, but I felt this stood nicely on its own. I picked it up at a Christmas fare in hardback. Throughout the story characters you love are developing to become more mature or suffering and dying. You really do feel like crying in some parts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enchanting as the cover blurb suggests, 15 Jan 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews

As the title suggests, this novel concerns a quest - ultimately for the Stone Mole, who is prophesied to be coming to aid moledom and the Stone in their darkest hour. Tryfan is heavily involved in this coming of the Stone Mole, as he travels firstly to the Wen and meets sweet Feverfew, then goes north to Whern, the dark heart of the Word.

Horwood's strength is the characters he introduces in this book. We have a large cast of extremely characterful and colourful moles, from the scribes Boswell and Tryfan to the ex-grikes Alder and Marram. I particularly love Mayweed - he, alone, grants this book an extra star above what it might have received from me. His loquacious language and wonderful vulnerability are lovely to read about. Considering the massive cast, each receives enough screentime to be well-developed and take their rightful place in the story.

The same issues I had with Duncton Wood raise their heads here - there are some problems with pacing, mainly with the passage into the Wen which is both dreary in description and slow to read through. In this book a new side to this is added with the extremely loooooong monologues by Tryfan about the nature of faith and how to worship the Stone properly. I understand that his character is meant to preach the coming of the Stone Mole and lead moles to accept the Stone, but it is very dull - especially if you don't feel faith for a religion yourself.

The internal consistency is all over the place, for a number of reasons. The first is that this book was clearly written when the first ended up being successful, since it seems tacked onto Duncton Wood by the most tenuous of links. The rise of the Word, the prophecies about the Stone Mole, the history of Scirpus, Rune's true nature - none of these were even hinted at in the first book, so here the information is rather thrown at the reader with large sections of exposition.

I just do not get how moledays, molemonths and moleyears fit into human terms of time. Horwood had a brief go at explaining the way the moleyears are actually months for humans, but then trampled all over that logic by having Boswell and Rune survive for a ridiculous length of time.

Thirdly, in the original book, it seemed very much as though Stone worship was a simple allegory for paganism, what with using standing stones as a focus and Avebury being an important system. The importance of Midsummer and Longest Night as the times that moles came out to worship in strength also lent impetus to this idea. However, in this book, I'm not entirely sure that the Stone is paganism, what with the coming of the Stone Mole, which has a huge parallel with the coming of Christ. The snoutings performed by the mole of the Word could be seen as similar to crucifictions. Basically, I'm confused! At least it is easy to tell that we need to be rooting for the moles of the Stone to succeed!

Another couple of issues with the prose is that using terms such as 'somemole' and 'nomole' really jar you out of the flow of the words. Plus I had no appreciation for the simplistic and folksy rhymes that accompany healing and worship.

Lastly, I had a terrible time reading some of the descriptions of the woundings done in the name of the Word, especially the graphic snoutings and the attack on Tryfan. Deeply uncomfortable. We avoided explicit sex scenes this time round, but the sighings and ecstacy and other choices of words Horwood used were just wrong!

I enjoyed the book overall and will complete my read of the trilogy (the third book being Duncton Found), but I certainly don't agree with the review emblazoned on the back of my paperback copy that states this novel bears comparison with the Lord of the Rings. It most certainly doesn't, and isn't the enchanting read suggested, but it is just interesting enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Baggy and unfocused sequel, 19 Aug 2009
My dad bought me the Duncton books when I was in my early teens, and though I read and loved Duncton Wood straight away, even re-reading it last year, I never could get into this, the sequel. I tried a number of times but always put it down very quickly, even before Boswell and Tryffan reach Uffington. This time I managed to continue, and I really don't know why I found it so hard before: it's an easy book to read.

But that's not to say it's anywhere near as good as Duncton Wood. Duncton Wood was a well told, solid tale about the redemption of a community that has lost touch with its own past. Duncton Quest, on the other hand, is a sprawling, muddled tale that, like its central character, doesn't seem to know where it's going. The moles wander aimlessly from Duncton Wood, to Uffington, to Wales, to Primrose Hill in London (!!), to the Peak District. Lots of things let it down: firstly, its strong religious theme, dealt with quite delicately in the first book, here expanded to become nonsensical and pretentious. Next, its cast of mainly dislikeable and not very charismatic main characters, especially Tryffan. This cast pales in comparison to the first book's Bracken, Rebecca, Mandrake and Rune - and others. One or two from Quest do shine out: verbose Mayweed is one of them.

Another problem with the book is its bagginess. It could have been condensed a great deal and would benefit by being stripped of its waffle. Though there are more descriptions than ever, they are less evocative and beautiful - one of the strengths of the first book. Horwood could learn something by rereading (or reading) Williamson's Taka the otter - perhaps it would help him to get back to basics. These characters just don't seem like moles.

Duncton Quest (The Duncton Chronicles)
Duncton Quest (The Duncton Chronicles) by William Horwood (Mass Market Paperback - 6 July 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01