4.0 out of 5 stars Charming book about toddler tanturms
Published on 10 Sep 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ideal for encouraging good behaviour!
Published on 26 May 2010 by Mrs. H. Musgrave

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming book about toddler tanturms, 10 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bad Mood Bear (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
A lovely book with pretty illustrations tells how bear does not get a good nights sleep and wakes up in a bad mood. He is beastly to everyone and finally kicks Grandad in the leg! Mum takes bad mood bear up to bed and give his a biscuit and a drink. Bear has a nap and wakes up in a feeling much happier. Lovely way to learn about tantrums. The language helped my children express how they felt from as young as two. Really a very sweet book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A story with a strong moral, 9 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This is an ideal story for kids who would rather play and mess about than get to sleep at night. Bad Mood Bear falls out with all the grownups the morning after he was late to bed, and ends up taken to his room for a nap after being very naughty. Then in the afternoon all is well again. My son (aged 5) can sympathise with both the bear and the long-suffering adults in this story. He always enjoys hearing it, although it tends to be MY choice from the bookshelf rather than his choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Growwwwl. I'm in a bad mood!, 10 April 2008
Me and my son love this story - it's just fun and funny. The illustrations are great - the pictures of bear's face when he's in a grump are funny - full of ill humour and bad will towards bearkind!
We particularly like the bit when he's in the garden and yells 'Buzz off' to a fly that's bothering him, which makes grandpa laugh (leading to the leg kicking incident). If you like this story, you should also take a look at 'The Wild Bears', which is also excellent. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Mood Moo, 11 Jan 2013
This was one of my daughter's favourite books as a youngster. She still loves it and she is now 20 ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a story about a bear behaving badly, 15 Feb 2012
S. Jones - See all my reviews
My son and I agree that this is one of the best books we read together when he was young. As well as an entertaining story, it provided the basis for discussions on why Bad Mood Bear behaved the way he did and why his behaviour was wrong. It helped me explain why it was important to go to bed at a reasonable time and have enough sleep. He certainly did not want to be a Bad Mood Bear. I have lent the book to other parents who have similarly appreciated its moral. A book I fervently recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars a fun read for everyone, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Bad Mood Bear (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This is an enchanting book that is fun to read as an adult and very useful to read with a child. The illustrations are good and detailed so that there is plenty to talk about as well as the text.It is also very helpful when trying to explain to a child what happens if you get overtired. It was recomended to me by another mum at school and the whole family has enjoyed it. I look forward to reading others in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for encouraging good behaviour!, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Bad Mood Bear (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I think this book demonstrates clearly the link between bad behaviour and consequences. Bad Mood Bear is naughty and ultimately he is punished for his tantrums. It also illustrates the adverse effect that tiredness can have on young children - something which we adults may easily forget and we can jump to 'punishment mode' all too quickly!

We read this book to both our sons during their early years and whenever they start to become grumpy, we say those three 'magic' words to them - 'Bad Mood Bear'. It never fails to diffuse the situation. And they are now both in their twenties!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ideal for encouraging good behaviour!, 26 May 2010
Mrs. H. Musgrave (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
I have the "Mini Treasures" version of this story, and was reading it out loud to my 20month old, when I realised how awful it was! First of all the main bear character (young) throws his breakfast on the floor, then he bashes the swing with a broom, next he insults his friends, then kicks his grandad! After his dad "smacks" him, he gets sent to his room. I found the whole story terrible for learning about no consequences to bad behaviour, and also poorly written. As a teacher I understand the need for helping children understand their feelings, especially helping them learn to control anger, but this is NOT the way to do it! Don't buy this if you are the type of parent who likes to encourage good behaviour! Needless to say, this has gone in the bin!

Bad Mood Bear (Red Fox Picture Books)
Bad Mood Bear (Red Fox Picture Books) by John Richardson (Paperback - 6 April 1989)
Used & New from: £28.97