Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 October 2015
I am a great fan of Ian McEwan but had somehow missed out on this early book - really enjoyed it. Good value.
on 30 March 2001
This book was one of the best i have ever read. It seemed to tap in to me and i was totally absorbed by it. Each chapter is a different story of the same boy and they are beautifully written and linked.
on 4 February 2016
A book for children that should be read by adults and none of them will be bored.
on 24 January 2015
Great stories. Children love this book, especially the one about the cat.
on 8 July 1999
I absolutly loved this book. It was a delightful blend of serious whimsy and hilarious gravity. This book is about ten-year-old Peter Fortune. He understands just how it would feel to be a cat slinking around on soft paws, purring in the sun. He's experienced the terror of being chased by evil dolls. And he's felt the thrill of using vanishing cream that make people actually disappear! Peter's imagination takes him to a place where reality and dreams meet. This is a must read, never put down book.
on 6 March 2013
The idea of a daydream growing in the main character Peter's mind until it "begins to live a life of its own" is one which can catch both children and adults unaware and I have to confess that, as an avid daydreamer and an adult, I find this rooted in experience. Reality morphs into dream and dream to fantasy but of a kind refreshing in its departure from the so called Fantasy genre. Real life is put on the back burner as dreamlike events take their own course in Peter's experience of incidents - some wonderfully distorted - in this unique journey through from childhood to adult.
on 11 August 2013
This book is written on 2 levels, one is stories to read to children, but also great stories for adults. I loved it! The stories were short enough to fit in one each lunchtime and I will definitely read the book again and again. I wish I had this boy's imagination!
on 13 May 2015
Extremely witty and very,very funny
on 30 January 2013
Poor value book purchase as very brief story, aimed more at children than adults. I read it in a couple of hours and it definitely doesnt rank as one of his best.
on 14 September 2015