5.0 out of 5 stars Great ghost story - ignore the haters
This book is based on the screenplay of the forthcoming new 'Woman in Black' film and is from an original idea by Susan Hill. Even though she hasn't written this, she's clearly on board with the project.

Although it's being called a sequel, it's not really as it follows a different group of people. Only the setting of the house and the woman in black feature...
Published 9 months ago by Pink-Lady

1.0 out of 5 stars A cheap and fear free 'return'
Published 2 months ago by Terrier girl

1.0 out of 5 stars A cheap and fear free 'return', 2 Sep 2014
Sequels like this should not be allowed. The Woman in Black is a classic story and to tout this as a sequel to it is a joke to be honest. The plot and writing are very poor indeed. I felt no sense of anticipation or fear when the woman in black appeared and the characters were like one dimensional cardboard cut outs. In fact there was no palpable fear anywhere from either the characters or the reader. If someone was to attempt a sequel to the Woman in Black it needed to be a writer of the calibre of Susan Hill. This ain't it - 'hammy' indeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Dire, 8 Nov 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Hardcover)
OK, I had high hopes for this book, after all I've had friends rave for years about the much loved Woman in Black by Susan Hill and as such hearing that there was an authorised sequel released gave me the chance to sit back and get that wonderful chill up the spine during the dark winter night reads that I had planned.

Unfortunately what I got was a title that fell far short of what I was expecting, it felt weak, the chill factor was missing and to be honest there weren't any real twists that you couldn't see coming from a mile off. It also felt poorly written when you compare against the original and to be honest I am left wondering if it was just a quick way to cash in on the success of what has gone before. A great shame to be honest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scarily bad, 30 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Hardcover)
I realise anyone following up from Susan Hill's classic terror tale would have a hard time but this really does read like someone took the script and novelised it, rather like those books Alan Dean Foster did back in the 80's for various films.

No hint of plot or character development-it is literally 'he said, she said' as it plods towards a predictable 'twist' finish which has no power to shock or thrill whatsoever.

Totally bland and forgettable-is it any wonder the film version seems to be much delayed?

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 3 Jun 2014
Annalie Wood - See all my reviews
I started reading this book with an open mind but a few pages in and I put it down in disgust.

This is poorly written and clumsy.

It is a shame it shares a title with Susan Hill's masterpiece. It shouldn't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Angel of Death, 28 Dec 2013
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Hardcover)
I read The Woman in Black a few years ago, and found it a thrilling and chilling story which I enjoyed thoroughly. So I was very keen to read this sequel, yet slightly worried that it may not match the expectations that I had given my enjoyment of the earlier book, and that it is written by a different author.

This book is set in 1940, in the middle of the Blitz, and a group of schoolchildren are evacuated with their schoolmistress and headmistress - but they are evacuated to Eel Marsh House, and there new horrors await them.

I enjoyed this book; I didn't find it had quite the same chilling factor as I had found with The Woman in Black, but the story overall was nicely put together and incorporated the features that you would expect of a sequel to the original story. The story is really more plot-driven than character-driven, so the characters are never really fully drawn in great detail. But the story itself rockets along to a satisfyingly conclusion, and I was happy to keep reading from beginning to end. 2.5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars A sequel to the film, NOT the book, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of the Woman in Black, in whatever form: Book; Play; Film; or, misbegotten ITV TV drama. However, I am less impressed with this attempt to produce a sequel to the Woman in Black. My principle complaint (after asking 'why would someone feel the need to do this, other than to earn some money, and the blame I place for this is Hammer, who are producing a film of this book) is that it in no way corresponds to the original story. I don't mean this in content, but rather in style. The book was subtle, insidious and took a long time to develop, the sequel is full of cheap (and frankly unnecessary) contrived situations for the Woman to appear in - billeting a school of disturbed evacuee children in Eel Marsh House lacks subtly and tells us exactly what kind of story we should expect, something the original doesn't. It reads like a book that is intended to be a film, with short/ pithy chapters and endless, sudden scares. (If you've seen the film version of the original then you'll know what I am talking about).

Whereas the original was nasty: there was a developing sense of dread, leading to a cruel and vicious denouement, taking us back to the original and leaving us feeling vulnerable, in this there is no layering of dread, no development of the fear. It's more like a punch to the face, repeated ad nauseum until the conclusion. There is an attempted shock at the end, but it's expected and not particularly shocking. One doesn't come away feeling haunted or threatened (the feeling I get from the ending of the original) more disturbed that such an opportunity was missed.

Some novels are classics and should be left alone. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill is one such classic. This book should have been left in the mind of the author. Unfortunately Hammer want to produce a sequel to their film version of the The Woman in Black and thus art is sacrificed on the altar of capital.

1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment, 1 Nov 2013
SJ SMART "Smartie" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Hardcover)
I really wanted to enjoy this book having read the original Susan Hill novel, (and her other books), seen the play twice and even liked the movie. I thought this had a lot of potential - that Eel Marsh House still stands empty, damp and almost derelict and in 1940 it is requestioned to be used for evacuees from London. So the Woman in Black would have a whole house full of children and teachers to haunt, torment, etc. A great set up.

However it didnt work for me - the suspense wasnt there, Waites just didnt capture the suspense, fear and power of the original novel or even the film. I really wanted to like it and Waites is obviously a great fan of this genre but I just couldnt and didnt.

I am not sure he has read the original book since he has missed some main points - that if you see the Woman in Black you are doomed. The new main characters do see the Woman often and somehow survive.

He also needs to do some historical research - the RAF DONT have Captains- they have Group Captains but that is quite a Senior rank, they didnt have Halfiax's in 1940. The British didnt have jeeps at this stage in the war either. The Blitz, which is referred too, was 1940-1941, but most evacuations began 1939-1940. The bad winter that is mentioned and that one of the characters has a husband and son in France suggests again that its the winter of 1939-1940. But the mention of the Blitz sounds like a year later.

This historical confusion wont bother many but it bothered me, a lack of simple research distracted me and affected the story.

This novel is basically the script of a new film coming out in 2014, I hope the film is better than this novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars a dissapointment, 31 Oct 2013
I love Susan hill ghost stories , and the woman in black has to be one of the best...so I have been eagerly awaiting this release for months..waiting up at midnight on the 24 th oct for this story to load on my kindle I couldn't wait to get stuck in.. But and it's a big but, what a dissapointment. Having recently read the ghost choir another hammer release this book should have had all those elements and more , but it flopped badly. It started out well , but instead of the insidious creepy feelings the original woman in black caused this read more like an Indiana jones book .. The woman in black herself has been lost in what turns out to be a madcap adventure ride.she is one of the iconic ghosts of the twentieth century, but her 21st century reincarnation is not so much creepy as annoying. . An over the top incarnation. Even the story is a mish mash of ideas.. That by mid book I was flicking through the pages in a desperate search for some magical touch.. It just proves that if you can't get the original author to write the sequel , you should leave it alone. Susan hill must be very disappointed to have one of her most famous characters ruined.
I think two stars is being generous. I will be interested to see what other readers think

1.0 out of 5 stars POOR ATTEMPT, 14 Nov 2013
I bought this book because it had a good review in the daily newspaper and I thought it would have to be a very good writer to follow on from Susan's Hill's ghost story. I was very disappointed in this book. It was so far fetched and unbelievable. I think he just got carried away with his attempt to create a terrifying atmosphere. No sorry Mr Waites it was utter rubbish. You cannot continue Susan Hill's Woman in Black with Hammer Horror style writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel novel is disappointing., 12 Jan 2014
G. Cossins "Wallet" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Hardcover)
I'm sorry, but this is just a very badly written book. The plot itself is okay, or rather there are some interesting set-pieces: a rotting, black mansion, a desolate causeway, an abandoned village. In theory they should make for an atmospheric read, but in practice these elements are underused and rendered flat and empty. I might have missed something implicit, but this book did not seem to build upon or expand the mythology of the original. Instead it seemed content to parade out the same back-story from some slightly different sources.

On a sentence level, Waites seems to lack the ability to build tension. In place of the slow creeping sense of unease that permeates through the text of the original, he seems to try for cinematic 'jump-scares', which do not transition well into the format. The result resembles a ghost story written by a child: lacking in sophistication or mood and anchored in a realm of dull physical objects. There's a shadow over there. It's a ghost! You are now afraid.

Perhaps I'm unfair. I read it in a night. It's serviceable pulp with Dan Brown-esque micro-chapters every three pages and recognizable character archetypes. It's essentially a novelization of a film which is yet to be released. If I seem disappointed it's because Susan Hill's book was genuinely written and this is no fitting legacy.

The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer)
The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) by Martyn Waites (Hardcover - 24 Oct 2013)