5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless
"We press 'play' and a million styles, sounds, aural colours, echoes and voices breeze in towards us as if at an opened window. We are like children with a thousand games at our fingertips. We have, at last, reached a point where there are no right or wrong decisions about what music we may or may not enjoy - just one gratifyingly simple instruction: 'play'"...
Published 22 months ago by Susan Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, incomplete, incompetent, offensive.
This should be entitled 'The Story of Howard Goodall's Inadequate Understanding of Music'. It is poorly researched, with factual errors and he displays a lack of understanding of some basic musical concepts. Also, the idea of a story is that you tell it. I enjoy a good deal of personal opinion, however barking mad, but to sum up 100 years of music - by stating, as if...
Published 19 months ago by Al summers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Story of Music (Hardcover)

So ends Howard Goodall's breathless account of 42,000 years of music in 324 pages.

I love music - I have hundreds of CDs by hundreds of artists from Dolly (Parton, ofcourse) to Dvorak to Dizzie Gillespie. It is one of the most important things in my life, but I can't read music, have no formal 'appreciation' skills, I can't (so I've been told) even sing in tune: I just know what I like. And that is music which moves me. And all good music does.

However, there comes a point when you want to know how the story of music hangs together. You want to know why certain sounds and rhythms affect you and how we got to a point where Emile Sande, Dizzee Rascal and Elgar's Nimrod among other musical forms can sit happily on the same bill as they did at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics in the summer of 2012.

I think Howard has done this in spades and at just the right pitch (all puns intended). He has clearly picked me as his audience and is determined to give me the whole story, with just enough theory to stretch me and plenty of modern examples of form and melody to let me get his point even without the luxury of an accompanying CD or TV programme. For example, "Syncopation is LIKE talkING with THE emPHAsis on THE wrong words TO creATE a jerKY sound." He uses well known tracks by Adele and Beyonce to illustrate how this works and why it's important.

He begins his story in 41,000BC - 'The Age of Discovery' with the discovery of an ancient flute in Slovenia and a discourse on how music was not just for the soul but for our language development, even for our very survival. From there we romp through various ages, "Discovery", "Penitence", "Invention" among them which describe how music developed through these ages to the present day, sometimes in sync with the other great shifts in human development like industrialisation and religious reform, sometimes not. He covers the importance of musical notation and tuning, the invention of key instruments, the influence of the great composers and their quite often forgotten mentors, globalisation and so much more besides........I'm risking sounding as breathless as Howard does: anxious to get it all in, and in the most straightforward way possible.

The best I can do is to say that if you are like me: you love music, but "don't really know that much about it", read this book and use it as a springboard to more reading and listening. With 42,000 years of material, the emphasis is on what is wrongly called 'Classical' music (I know why this is wrong now), but I hope to see Howard's more of fantastic pedagogy on the "Popular Ages" soon. Oh, and I can't wait to see the TV series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Story of Music (Hardcover)
Ideal for study or pure pleasure. One can read this or just dip in and out. Ideal present for the music lover or for someone who is studying music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality History of Music, 18 Mar 2014
Rev. R. Gurling "Bishop Roger" (Dartford Kent U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of Music (Paperback)
A first class book well researched, accurate and presented in a very easily readable manner.
I would recommend it to anyone interested in this fascinating subject

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Story of Music (Hardcover)
Those who are familiar with Howard Goodall's TV programmes will fill will be delighted with this engaging amusing and unstuffy analysis of how music of all charities has evvolved

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Story of Music (Paperback)
My son is studying A Level music so we bought him this for Christmas. He is finding it very interesting and would recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for anyone who wants an overview of the subject, 7 July 2014
This review is from: The Story of Music (Paperback)
As a very late comer to music , I am enjoying this book and learning something new each time I pick it up. Very good for anyone who wants an overview of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read..., 9 May 2014
Just brilliant. As a non-specialist I found it one of the most lucid histories of music I've come across. Really enjoying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 22 April 2014
This is an excellent book. I found it very informative and clear. It explains how music has evolved throughout the ages..

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Informative Book, 7 Feb 2014
I found all the information I needed in this book and I liked the style in which it was written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Story of Music (Paperback)
Bought as Present and recipient extremely pleased with it and had requested it having read reviews. Great gift for serious music lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Story of Music
The Story of Music by Howard Goodall (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)