4.0 out of 5 stars All hail the mayor
Third and final part of the Wool trilogy of science fiction novels.

This is not a jumping on point. New readers should start with Wool (Wool Trilogy 1).

Regular readers, read on.

Published 3 days ago by Paul Tapner

3.0 out of 5 stars fairly mundane conclusion
Reasonable conclusion to an at times excellent trilogy. It feels a little like Howey is just running out of steam by the end. A couple of neat little twists, but generally it's fairly predictable as the series ambles to a conclusion. Entertaining enough, but still I can't help feeling that some of the earlier promise has gone unfulfilled.
Published 4 months ago by A. Gibb

3.0 out of 5 stars fairly mundane conclusion, 18 Mar 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the third and Im disapointed, 2 Nov 2013
I was a little disappointed in this book the third in the series, the others kept me gripped right the way through. This one felt like the author took the money and ran, in comparison to the others I felt the plot line was weak and went nowhere. This is not a stand alone book, you need to read the others first. I was so looking forward to it that I paid a lot for it, my advise wait for it to be in the sale

4.0 out of 5 stars All hail the mayor, 28 July 2014
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Hardcover)
Third and final part of the Wool trilogy of science fiction novels.

Regular readers, read on.

This volume is shorter than the other two, running to four hundred and three pages. It has three parts, plus a prologue and an epilogue. It's further divided into sixty three chapters.

It continues on the story from where book two finished. With a new order in silo 18.

When change happens, people react in different ways. There are those who embrace it, those who fear it, and those who hate it. Jules has to contend with all of this as she tries to keep things going, win the people over, and see what lies beyond.

But those in silo one aren't finished yet...

This brings the story to a close. A somewhat open ended one, but it is definitely the end of things even so. It's a bit of a slow burn writing and plot wise as it can feel as if little happens in the first quarter. But the ideas it plays with are quite interesting. The aforementioned way of how people react to change.

Jules remains a very sympathetic character and you can emphasise with her and her choices. The book isn't afraid to be bold and have bad things happen.

And by the end people's choices have brought to them to different places in their lives. Which does seem to be the whole point. As the thought provoking section of questions for reading groups at the end does make clear.

Never quite five star material, but a solid end to a decent story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid ending - but not quite spectacular, 30 July 2014
A highly readable conclusion to the trilogy, but it's obvious Howey was working himself hard to finish up: it doesn't flow with quite the surprising bits and alien-ness of the earlier books, part of whose joy came from experiencing the very truncated world of the silo dwellers through their eyes and emotional biases.

By this time we're heavily invested in the main character, and Howey doesn't have a choice in what she does, really - a different ending would've meant too many bad folk not getting their just desserts - but the book still works, and it's satisfying enough. Perhaps its most commendable point is how a "good" character ended up "bad" through no real fault of his own.. but continued being "bad" because of his investment in the system he was part of. Which, let's face it, is how a great many people go bad.

Overall, not quite as absorbing as Wool and Shift, but a good solid read and clearly into that 0.3% of Kindle novels (beyond the third Standard Deviation) that are worth more than the time you put into them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Conclusion, 5 Sep 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Once again this book in the series was a joy to read, as with the other two. We pick up to see what the final outcome is going to be, the point the other two books have been inexorably leading us to. I think that anyone coming to this book will know the story so far and thus can guess there can only ultimately be two outcomes possible to this. I won't say what outcome this book has, but once again we follow more than one character from more than one silo in this tale. We know mostly why people are living underground by this stage, but there were a couple of questions that were still left unanswered, and this book fills us in on these, and we can see in full the madness, but genius behind the whole issue of the silos, and their ultimate purpose.

Once again, as we follow people living in the silos we can see some great interaction between separate characters, as well as the emotions and different psychological moods brought about by what is a dull and boring existence underground, and in what is ultimately a claustrophobic atmosphere. As in real life this shows how different people can react to the same circumstances with opposite results, as there is plotting, secrets and manipulations going on. In this book we can also see the power that religion holds over some, and how schisms can be formed. People have to learn to use faith, hope and the trust of others in this story, where things can either fully collapse, or a new beginning started.

If you have never read any of this series then you are missing a treat. If you just looked at the first book and thought this is sci-fi, I don't read that genre then please be assured that this is more than that. This is really a grand saga that has so much more to it. There is also a section in the back of this for questions for book groups to ask. I don't know if groups actually use these, as I know that the group I belong to never do. As with 'Wool' and 'Shift', this is another great book to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad end to a series that started so well, 27 July 2014
A little piece of advice for budding authors: Long doesn't automatically mean Good. The previous books certainly had their fair share of filler make no mistake; but here I lost count of the amount of plot points that either went nowhere or that I just couldn't care less about. As such it is an extremely hard-going book that requires a level of endurance I never thought I would need after reading the solid 'Wool.'
The ending, if you are capable of finding the time of slogging through to it, just stinks of Deus Ex Machina from top to bottom. I also think that Howey may have forgotten how to write Juliette in between books 1 & 3 as she has lost a lot of the humanity and soul that she used to have.
This is a book that I do not intend to ever read again.
PS I pointed out in my review of 'Shift' that I found Donald to be unlike-able and uninteresting. Nothing has changed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing conclusion to an otherwise excellent story, 31 Aug 2013
If you've read Wool and Shift and are considering finishing up the story by reading this, then I'd say it's still worthwhile. But imagine the most obvious and predictable conclusion to the story based on what you've read so far. Odds are, you'll be pretty close to the mark. It feels like a rushed ending resolved largely through deus ex machina.

That been said, it's much better than most stuff out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars A trilogy I couldn't put down, 30 July 2014
No spoilers I promise. A brilliant journey, each book contains a story, not immediately nor easily identified as being interconnected, and many surprising twists occur. This isn't some cheap, leave the reader frustrated over every cliffhanger, never fully delivering story, but an enthralling path to see what will happen next. I particularly enjoy authors who use life's joys and despair, which has been used very effectively to give these books real value-not some fairy tale fantasy but a gritty book that looks at human nature. A new author to me, one I will be keen to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... but feel a little let down..., 3 Oct 2013
Read them all. Loved them all. Wool episode 1 blew me away...

The reason for not awarding 5 stars: It felt short and rushed.

There I've said it. Feels good to get it off my chest.

If you look back over all the books there are much less important elements of the story given many many more pages... in this book huge events are covered in little more than a paragraph... like I said, in my opinion and comparing it to the other episodes it seems short and rushed.

But of course you must buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Hardcover)
Enjoyed the first two, gave up on this one half way through. I get the impression the author became disinterested. Perhaps a victim of his own success. I'd love an alternative young and aspiring author to rewrite this with the same enthusiasm, quality of writing and originality as the first book in the trilogy. In one word, disappointing.

Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3)
Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) by Hugh Howey (Hardcover - 13 Feb 2014)
3.85