4.0 out of 5 stars A bit lower tension although still exciting Silo world
"Dust" by Hugh Howey is the third part of Silo Trilogy, SF dystopian series in some way similar to the Hunger games series.

Therefore this novel should be looked as part of a whole, and certainly is recommended to read the first two parts of series before its read.
Its two prequels introduced readers to underground Silo where remained human...
Published 13 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the third and Im disapointed
Published 13 months ago by Ginger Witch

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit lower tension although still exciting Silo world, 14 Nov 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Hardcover)

Its two prequels introduced readers to underground Silo where remained human survivors live, one safe shelter that is also sort of prison due to people inability to exit to the outer toxic world.

For those already familiar with story, in the aftermath of the uprising described in its prequels, the people of Silo 18 are learning to live with a new order. Some of them will accept the changes while others are in fear due to lack of control of their fate.
Although the battle has been won, the war for Silo is just beginning because it's still in danger and Jules who want it to destroy it have to be stopped...

As I already mentioned, this novel should be looked at as the part of the series. The series introduced nice and believable characters, and good tension that encourages the reader for further reading.
As both previously released novels, this SF dystopian piece is also well-written and exciting read that is easily read.

Although, "Dust", if viewed separately from the series, somehow lost some of series tension probably because of the characters who reached their development peak and nothing new can be learned about the fate of "lost" silos, or of their engineering in general, although reader can still enjoy in author's intriguing world.

The end could be also disappointment for some series' fans because this novel didn't completely concluded the story in same time leaving the possibility that one day this story will be continued...

As someone who enjoyed Silo series I can fully recommend you to read this novel together with two of its prequels and enjoy (for the last time?) in Howey's well-described post apocalyptic world of silos...
Especially if you're fan of post apocalyptic literature and science fiction in general, I suggest giving chance to Silo trilogy, you'll most certainly like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the third and Im disapointed, 2 Nov 2013
I was a little disappointed in this book the third in the series, the others kept me gripped right the way through. This one felt like the author took the money and ran, in comparison to the others I felt the plot line was weak and went nowhere. This is not a stand alone book, you need to read the others first. I was so looking forward to it that I paid a lot for it, my advise wait for it to be in the sale

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid ending - but not quite spectacular, 30 July 2014
A highly readable conclusion to the trilogy, but it's obvious Howey was working himself hard to finish up: it doesn't flow with quite the surprising bits and alien-ness of the earlier books, part of whose joy came from experiencing the very truncated world of the silo dwellers through their eyes and emotional biases.

By this time we're heavily invested in the main character, and Howey doesn't have a choice in what she does, really - a different ending would've meant too many bad folk not getting their just desserts - but the book still works, and it's satisfying enough. Perhaps its most commendable point is how a "good" character ended up "bad" through no real fault of his own.. but continued being "bad" because of his investment in the system he was part of. Which, let's face it, is how a great many people go bad.

Overall, not quite as absorbing as Wool and Shift, but a good solid read and clearly into that 0.3% of Kindle novels (beyond the third Standard Deviation) that are worth more than the time you put into them.

3.0 out of 5 stars fairly mundane conclusion, 18 Mar 2014
Reasonable conclusion to an at times excellent trilogy. It feels a little like Howey is just running out of steam by the end. A couple of neat little twists, but generally it's fairly predictable as the series ambles to a conclusion. Entertaining enough, but still I can't help feeling that some of the earlier promise has gone unfulfilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trilogy I couldn't put down, 30 July 2014
No spoilers I promise. A brilliant journey, each book contains a story, not immediately nor easily identified as being interconnected, and many surprising twists occur. This isn't some cheap, leave the reader frustrated over every cliffhanger, never fully delivering story, but an enthralling path to see what will happen next. I particularly enjoy authors who use life's joys and despair, which has been used very effectively to give these books real value-not some fairy tale fantasy but a gritty book that looks at human nature. A new author to me, one I will be keen to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conclusion to an amazing trilogy!, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
Everything comes together nicely and coherently. As with the other two, it's well written and paced, with great characters coming towards the end of their epic journey. A real page turner and the only downside was that it ended, but as they say "all good things..." The Wool Trilogy has become my favourite series ever and I'll be looking forward to reading a few more of the author's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, if slightly cheesy, conclusion, 8 May 2014
This final book in the trilogy brings all the threads together nicely and gives it all a happy ending. Perhaps a bit too happy and cheesy but it's hard to complain about that when you've come to love the characters. An insight into the dark heart of man? Maybe, but a bit lightweight really. Worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing conclusion to an otherwise excellent story, 31 Aug 2013
If you've read Wool and Shift and are considering finishing up the story by reading this, then I'd say it's still worthwhile. But imagine the most obvious and predictable conclusion to the story based on what you've read so far. Odds are, you'll be pretty close to the mark. It feels like a rushed ending resolved largely through deus ex machina.

That been said, it's much better than most stuff out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and perfectly right, 1 Dec 2014
Ann Marie (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This is the final part of the trilogy that started with Wool and Shift, and I was sad to finish it. I didn't want to leave that world that Hugh Howey had created so brilliantly. I was disappointed that Shift was not the sequel to Wool, because I was desperate to find out what happened to these people. Instead, it was a prequel that explained how the people came to be living in silos in the first place, and what happened in the Silo 1, the controlling silo.

Dust brings it all together and it was so clear why we had to have Shift before we went on to find out what happened to the people from Wool.The story took me through the whole gamut of emotions: shock, anger, dread, tears and laughter. The ending was superb and perfectly right. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Conclusion, 5 Sep 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Once again this book in the series was a joy to read, as with the other two. We pick up to see what the final outcome is going to be, the point the other two books have been inexorably leading us to. I think that anyone coming to this book will know the story so far and thus can guess there can only ultimately be two outcomes possible to this. I won't say what outcome this book has, but once again we follow more than one character from more than one silo in this tale. We know mostly why people are living underground by this stage, but there were a couple of questions that were still left unanswered, and this book fills us in on these, and we can see in full the madness, but genius behind the whole issue of the silos, and their ultimate purpose.

Once again, as we follow people living in the silos we can see some great interaction between separate characters, as well as the emotions and different psychological moods brought about by what is a dull and boring existence underground, and in what is ultimately a claustrophobic atmosphere. As in real life this shows how different people can react to the same circumstances with opposite results, as there is plotting, secrets and manipulations going on. In this book we can also see the power that religion holds over some, and how schisms can be formed. People have to learn to use faith, hope and the trust of others in this story, where things can either fully collapse, or a new beginning started.

If you have never read any of this series then you are missing a treat. If you just looked at the first book and thought this is sci-fi, I don't read that genre then please be assured that this is more than that. This is really a grand saga that has so much more to it. There is also a section in the back of this for questions for book groups to ask. I don't know if groups actually use these, as I know that the group I belong to never do. As with 'Wool' and 'Shift', this is another great book to read.

Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3)
Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) by Hugh Howey (Paperback - 13 Feb 2014)