Format: Paperback|Change

Like the first Anne book, Anne of Green Gables, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. And though many think these books sentimental mush, I seemed to garner a lot from reading them.

They teach me to see God in new and exciting ways - to see God more in Nature and the world around me that He has created - to look for the best in all people I meet, especially those who are hard to like, ie Mrs. Rachael Lynd and Mr. Harrison. We have to learn to see past the exterior to see the person inside.
on 25 July 2011
The first words that come to mind when I hear `Anne of Green Gables,' are "a childhood classic." When I was younger I fell in love with Anne and her stories and hope you do too!

`Anne of Green Gables' is the story of an elderly woman, Marilla, and her brother, Matthew, who are adopting a boy to help them on their farm. To their surprise they end up with a girl, Anne, and they are unsure about what to do with her. Anne wins them over with her charm and love but they soon discover she is attracted to trouble...

Anne is the perfect literacy character. She is flawed, she makes mistakes but still tries to see the best in life. She makes you laugh when she demonstrates her famous Shirley temper and it is heart warming to see her grow up and mature. I also have a soft spot for Matthew who is Anne's biggest supporter and is always loyal to her. Marilla is less likeable but she shows her true colours in the end.

I loved Montgomery's writing, I thought she had the perfect mix of humour and wit and I found some parts of the book laugh out loud funny! I thought the plot was clever and Montgomery dealt with Anne's upsetting childhood in a very sensitive way. It is the perfect read for anyone aged eight and up. It's still enjoyable for adults!

I highly recommend `Anne of Green Gables' and I hope that you love Anne as much as I do!
on 1 June 2010
I did wonder if I really should have added my review to the immense list of reviewers who love these books as much as I do. But as I sat reviewing some of the books I loved as a child I couldn't think up any reasons why I shouldn't add my two pennies worth.
As Anne Shirley was my childhood hero I felt I owed her something. I was a very imaginative child who sometimes got into trouble because of it and it was comforting to know there was someone else just like me. The fact she was a fictitious character didn't bother me.
It is not enough to just read the first book as Anne's charm never fades even when she grows to womanhood and has children of her own. In fact they get better. The books are not always full of happiness and even Anne with her seemingly charmed life experiences heartaches. You have been warned, so be ready with a box of tissues!
One thing I love about the books is all your questions are answered. From the first book I wanted to know what happened between Anne and Gilbert and although you have to read a few in the series, your romantic ideals won't be disappointed. It is truly a heart-warming and enchanting series of books.
If you enjoy this series of books you should read L.M. Montgomery's Emily books. Although I preferred the Anne books these are definitely worth reading.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 December 2012
My daughter became a fan of "Anne of Green Gables", our neighbor visited author Lucy Maud Montgomery's home on Prince Edward Island and I was scheduled to see a high school play based on the story so it was time to pick it up and read it wasn't it? Wrong! I waited too long.

Anne, pronounced with an "e", is a talkative orphan who is delivered by mistake to Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, bachelor and spinster siblings who share their home and farm at Avonlea, Prince Edward Island. Despite having requested a boy, Anne wins their hearts before they can send her back, a tragedy that would have made for a much too short book. The decision to keep her having been made, the reader is treated to a series of humorous and heartwarming events in the life of this bright and energetic girl. As Anne grows we see her make friends and rivals, while Marilla and Mathew experience disappointment, embarrassment and a swelling pride.

I do not want to give away too much of the story. I want to leave it for you to enjoy for yourselves. Whether you are a young girl looking for an exciting book, an adult seeking a light, entertaining read, or anyone who needs a reminder of the beauty of nature and the things that are really important, "Anne of Green Gables" is sure to please and never disappoint.
on 22 November 2012
Unlike most children's stories, this one has ''real life'' situations. Poor Anne, after her parents both die she moves from one home to another and eventually ends up in an orphanage, the place she dreaded the most! Despite all of that, she remains so humble and polite always dealing with one situation at a time. Like most stories, it's good to see that there is a very happy ending for her too on her beloved island of Prince Edward!
on 27 December 2010
In this second book in the series, Anne is 16, and now teaches avonlea school, where she herself went as a little girl. She struggles to win some of her pupils respect, grows deeply attached and even finds kindred spirits among them. Anne grows into a woman in this book, but it some how lacks the fun and comical side of the first book when she was getting into childish scrapes. Although a great book, not as good as the others.
on 24 June 2011
What a wonderful thing to buy, Wonderful heart-warming storeis without the need of blood and gore.
It sits wonderfully on my bookshelf and looks lovely.
on 12 June 1999
This book is fantastic. It talks about honosty, virtuosity, and vanity. It was really funny and very entertainig and I couldn't put it down for five hours straight becaise i read it and then reread it. I would give it a 10 star rating if i could. To the doctor who wrote earlier, all books don't have to be realistic. It was interesting and engaging and thats what counts. Defenitly my all time favorite book!!!!!!!!:)
on 18 March 2008
I read this book many years ago when a teenager and loved it so much went on to read the others in the series. It is a wonderful book, sad in places but mainly making you smile. My best friend still call each other 'kindred spirit' after this book introduced us to the idea you have one true kindred spirit in this world-I recommend this book to young and old!
on 13 November 1998
This book is one of my all-time favourites. Sometimes I get embarrassed to say this because i'm a 26 year old with a degree in English literature. I have read this book maybe twenty times because it never fails to disappoint. It really is a moving account of a childhood deprived of love and affection as Anne Shirley searches for a 'kindred spirit' ,and how by a divine mistake she ends up being adopted by Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. I still laugh when Anne finds a drowned mouse in the sauce and almost serves it up to the Reverend's wife; and when she dyes her hair green because the pedlar she met on the road 'positively assured (her) it would turn a beautiful raven black'. I still smile at Marilla's ascerbic comments and I still cry when her true 'kindred spirit' Matthew dies.
The story is set in the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island, which is described as it changes through the seasons. This book is an absolute poem.