4.0 out of 5 stars A review, with the usual reservations.
Brilliant most of the time, but some chapters read as though they have been articles in papers or mags and are rather disjointed from the whole. This is especially so near the end. How did Brian and Liz learn to speak the patois of France Profound? The love story is the most poignant and thought provoking part.
Published 23 months ago by margaret anne canter

2.0 out of 5 stars It Didn't Work for Me .
Published 6 months ago by A . J . Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars A review, with the usual reservations., 10 Aug. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars hold on to your seats, 6 Sept. 2013
This biography is beautifully sensitive, it touched all my emotions. Covering the early years together in Yorkshire, their home in France (and their lovely neighbours), and finaly their return to Oxford. Both their writing temperaments are ammusingly dissimilar but they both want the same things in life - to be content and happy and sod everyone who doesn't like that. They both need affection to move them on and both absolutely need each other. It made me laugh it made me cry - love the gong incident and the time Liz spent writing shopping lists at her desk (apparently), the finale is very sad but nothing good lasts forever other than the memories we have of loved ones and the vacuum that persists long after they have left us.

2.0 out of 5 stars It Didn't Work for Me ., 31 Dec. 2014
A . J . Reynolds "AJ" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Corner of Paradise: A love story (with the usual reservations) (Paperback)
On the evidence of this book , a two hundred and fourteen page long , self-indulgent , self-justifying , eulogy to ones late partner does not necessarily produce the most compelling of autobiographical works . After reading 'Minding Mum' and 'Clever Girl' , Thompsons earlier autobiographical tales , I had mixed feelings towards Thompson . I thoroughly enjoyed his tale of childhood as recounted in 'Minding Mum' but developed an aversion to him as 'Clever Girl' unfolded . It was my sincere hope that our author would redeem himself with this third work of autobiography . He fails .

After spending two volumes expressing his frustrations with his mother and his hostility to his fathers suburban ambitions I had hoped for a resolution of his attitude towards them in this book . It never comes . Instead we have less than a page where their passing is compared to the mere wiping away of a stain . A ghostlike figuare in 'Clever Girl' , a person we are never permitted to really know in that book , Thompsons wife 'S' never features in this volume . Between the end of 'Clever Girl' and the beginning of his relationship with Liz , Thompson simply airbrushes 'S' from his life .In doing so he creats a vast void in our understanding of him . We are then left with a rambling account of a life spent on the edges of 'luviedom' and an ongoing attempt to live summer months in a rural French idyll .

I read this book hoping against hope that I would turn a page where Thompson would redeem himself . It never happened . While I can accept that there will be many who have enjoyed or will enjoy this book it doesn't work for me . How I wish 'S' could pen her recollections of this man and their relationship .

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book if I say so who shouldn't, 3 Aug. 2013
I am in fact Steve Thompson and maybe it's a bit cheeky to review my cousin's book, however I think this is the best book that Brian has written. The amount of himself, and indeed Liz's self, he puts into the book is really touching. I think everyone who knew Liz loved her to some degree,I was no exception. The end of the book, I found really harrowing. One slight question,I cannot remember my mother having a rabbit.,

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kind of memoir, 26 Aug. 2013
A book that takes the tail end of my own experiences and spins the memories out into different territory. I had to read this twice though to get the flow and tone, because the first time I was too wrapped up in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Julian Barnes I'm afraid..., 28 Oct. 2014
Helen Neal (England) - See all my reviews
I was fortunate enough to get a copy of this from Real Readers. It isn't the sort of book I would normally read (I prefer crime) so I may have not enjoyed it as much as others for that reason. Having read the back I was expecting something along the lines of 'Levels of Life' by Julian Barnes which I loved and it doesn't reach those heights but it is a nice enough record of a couples' life together. I found the start hard going but it got better towards the end, hence the 3 stars rather than less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truthful and moving., 7 Sept. 2013
A very honest account of a very real relationship. It rang bells with me and evoked memories. I hope it does well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 11 Jun. 2015
This has had good reviews in the press but I found it disorganised, in terms of the chronology of events.
Descriptions of his wife's life could have endeared her to the reader but made her seem more distant than necessary.
Somehow, it just didn't 'flow'.
Disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't grip me, 5 Feb. 2015
I wasn't excited in this book and lots interest quickly so much so that I gave in after reading 70% of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yin and Yang, 22 Sept. 2013
Mrs. S. M. Bork (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I got this book from Amazon in the morning post and spent the rest of a perfect Summer day reading it. It was so truthful: funny and heartbreaking by turns. It is a great record of an unusual but perfectly balanced relationship. Yin and Yang could not be better illustrated. It is an insight into how two writers lived, loved and were finally parted by Liz's death. If you have read Keeping Mum and Clever Girl you will enjoy this.

A Corner of Paradise: A love story (with the usual reservations)
A Corner of Paradise: A love story (with the usual reservations) by Brian Thompson (Paperback - 3 July 2014)