4.0 out of 5 stars A story of obsession
I thought this book started off very well. We meet our narrator Louise who is driven to despair by her next door neighbour playing loud music at the weekends, particularly Queen, particularly Don’t Stop Me Now, which leads to him being nicknamed Mr Fahrenheit. The opening was treated with humour and I sympathised with Louise at this point, although I do think that...
Published 2 months ago by Skaty Katie

2.0 out of 5 stars The neighbour sounds more fun!
What a strange book. Odd start, unsatisfying middle, questionable ending (but I won't spoil it here).

Are we sure this was meant to be a ghost story? I've had more frights receiving a restaurant bill.

Published 18 months ago by JustinDunn

2.0 out of 5 stars The neighbour sounds more fun!, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hardcover)

It's a pity because the premise seemed quite good (I've not read Sophie Hannah before, this was actually recommended to me): A woman, missing her young son, finds her life increasingly intolerable because of the neighbour from hell.

She thinks he's playing choir music to antagonise her and escapes to the country, only to find the music follows her.

All very ghostly - except for me, it was anything but.

For starters, the protagonist was so dreary that my immediate sympathies lay with the far more colourful sounding fellow next door. I couldn't reconcile the idea of a mother sending her seven year old son to boarding school in any circumstances (it completely alienates non-Enid Blyton-bred readers, but maybe that's the working class in me) and when she eventually moved out I was ready to ring her neighbour's doorbell and suggest throwing a party to celebrate...

Perhaps I ought to try another Sophie Hannah book as The Orphan Choir didn't do it for me. This was like the aftermath of Chinese meal: I needed more and the taste in my mouth remained - but I simply couldn't face it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 31 July 2013
Kerry Foreman - See all my reviews
Such a disappointment. How can a respected, published author churn out such utter drivel? Pointless storylines, basic vocabulary, two dimensional characters, ridiculous 'twists'... I could go on but cannot be bothered to waste any more of my life thinking about this book. I love fiction, I love reading, I loathed this book. Just don't waste your money or your time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best..., 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hardcover)
I was pretty disappointed with this book for a number of reasons. Firstly, there was no scare factor in there for me. As a person who hasn't read any other books by Sophie Hannah, I didn't know what style the book would be written in or how the scare element would be implemented. I liked the colloquial style that the book was written in; first-person,and almost like elegant notation at some points. However, there was no "scary moments" for me. Perhaps this is because I knew what sort of direction the book was going to take.

My main blemish that I had with this book was my growing hatred of the main character, Louise. As you progress throughout the book, you start to see that she suffers more and more from psychological problems and other mental problems. The thing that I found annoying was her changing mind and obvious mis-treatment and unfair reasoning for her decisions. One example is when she suggests a deal to Dr. Freeman about the boarding aspect of the school, and then when she is offered the dead, she thinks that it is stupid and there is no way that she would ever agree to it. This issue bugged me more and more throughout the book, and really made me (almost) despise reading what she thought.

In conclusion, I think that there was a lot of potential in the book, but it was not executed properly. The colloquial style works well, but it only really comes alive in the last 2 or possibly 3 chapters. Also, it just wasn't scary enough!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor show, 26 Oct 2013
I've loved all Sophie Hannah's books but absolutely hated this. The main character, Lou, was immensely unlikeable, and her drippy husband was just about as bad. It started with promise, then became pretty farcical pretty quickly. A huge disappointment, and in no way spooky, just slightly confusing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time..., 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hammer) (Paperback)
Had been recommended this book by a co-worker, and was thoroughly disappointed. The main character is absolutely abhorrent. It's meant to be a ghost story, but reads more like a diary of a nagging, irritating and paranoid woman. The 'chilling' stuff doesn't appear until at least 3/4 of the way through the book, and is severely lackluster and confused. I would not recommend buying or reading this book due to the narrator. The 'twist' was laughable and the author might have well ended the book with 'she woke up and it was all a dream'. Feel slightly too generous giving this book even one star, I have read better self published books on my kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Banal and irritating, 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hammer) (Paperback)
I don't know that I've ever given a book a one-star rating before - largely because if they're that bad I don't waste my time reading to the end. This book is beyond ridiculous - I only ploughed through it because I was convinced it had to improve - sadly, it didn't. The lead character is one-dimensional, paranoid and extremely irritating - I didn't have a shred of sympathy for her so-called plight. This book isn't terrifying - it isn't clever - but it is a waste of time. I used to like this author but her work has gone downhill in recent years. My advice - just don't bother!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really a scary story, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hardcover)
I ordered this book before it was released as I had read a book club review in a glossy mag that I buy and was expecting a really good ghost story. Unfortunately I didn't find it scary at all. If you like a good ghost story or even a thriller, I think you will be a bit disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 May 2013
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hardcover)
I was quite disappointed with this book. After reading reviews that said it was very very scary, I had high hopes. Unfortunately I spent most of the book waiting for the scary bits to start. When I'd got through 90% on my kindle and still wasn't scared, I realised it just wasn't going to happen.

A pleasant enough read, but not scary at all. But that's just my opinion. Read for yourself and make your own mind up :)

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hammer) (Paperback)
I used to like this author, but the more she writes, the less I like her work. This latest offering is abysmal - large print which means not very much on each page. Not exactly value for money, so am glad that this is not my book. As for the "story", well Woman in Black it aint - its not even fit enough to be mentioned in the same breath. Dreadful characters who don't appear to be all that realistic. It is not in the least spooky, so if you want to be frightened, choose something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Orphan Choir (Hammer) (Paperback)
I have read all Sophie's books but the last two I regret having wasted my time reading. I just do not know what has happened...... I will not read another.

The Orphan Choir (Hammer)
The Orphan Choir (Hammer) by Sophie Hannah (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)