3,006 Reviews
 (1,791)

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO READ NOW!!
Published on 29 Mar 2012 by bliz

1.0 out of 5 stars 50 Reasons to buy a Thesaurus.
Thankfully I have now crawled to the end of this series. Amongst the poverty of plot, paucity of writing & preposterous sex scenes I found I had actually learned a few things:

A) Repetition, repetition, repetition. I could probably write a composite Ana/Christian love scene, ending with the requisite shattering, but I couldn't actually pick out a single love...
Published on 27 Jun 2012 by beakerj

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO READ NOW!!, 29 Mar 2012
I'm finding it hard to write this review.. I'm stopping and starting..but surfice to say I absolutely loved this trilogy of books 5 stars plus to all of them..I finished Fifty shades freed about half an hour ago and just sat looking at the my iPad screen for 10 minutes..I like a lot of readers who take time write reviews am an avid reader..cram as many in a week as I can in..but at this very moment I don't feel as though I want to pick up another book for a while..how mad is that!! Plainly and simply these books are a wonderful love story..erotic yes.. BDSM yes..but told in such a way that it didn't feel sordid at all.. I am in love with Christian so that says it all!! (good job my husband is rubbish with computers and iPads etc!) I am not going to go into the story as other reviewers have done a fine job..the author says at the end of this book.. That's all for NOW well I for one hope there is more and I hope it continues from Christian.. the snippet we did get.. Ie the scene in the hardware store and his reaction to Paul was CHRISTIAN just what you would think his thoughts to be.. The author could rewrite the three books from Christians side and even though you will know what's going to happen they I know would be unputadownable.. Just like these three were .. I feel like starting them over again right now.. but I won't I'm going to wait for a while so I can look forward to them again..I really cannot rate these books highly enough.. I feel quite jealous of the reader who is just about to start reading them.. Enjoy them I know you will..

Ps I would like to thanks Amazon for their 'help' with the first book.. Outstanding service one again..

1.0 out of 5 stars I must be masochistic for reading this., 10 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Freed (Paperback)
Basically, couple gets married, has honeymoon, have sex that leaves marks on woman, someone is out to harm them, a pregnancy occurs, man doesn't want baby, they live happily ever after...... This is breaking dawn plus the sex minus the vampires. But Breaking Dawn is actually BETTER (and believe me, that's saying something).

This book is possibly marginally better than the first 2, it is still a rather dreadful book with repetitive rubbish start to finish. And whereas there is a hint of a story line, it is rather sloppy and badly put together.

And no doubt Ana and Christian referring to each other as "mr/mrs Grey" has knocked the "inner goddess" off the top spot as the most annoying part of the book. Made me want to tear my hair out every time I read it (which was about 5 times every page.)

Some elements of the novel are actually quite disturbing- such as the orgasm denial scene. I felt like I was reading a book about abuse at this point. And Christian flogging Anas pregnant stomach? Really? Ladies, if that turns you on I think you may need help. Nothing romantic or "hot" about that scene at all.

I nearly didn't finish this book, after the first 100 pages it was very hard to carry on. The same thing happened over and over- Ana and Christian fight, they make up, they have sex. Ana bites her lip....repeat repeat. This book seemed like it was written by a 13 year old, who knew nothing about sex, BDSM or even relationships. In the real world, love cannot always change a person. And men are not ready for "round 2" just 30 seconds after round 1. And women do not orgasm 10 times a day just from Christian holding her hand.

And as for the other story line with Jack, isn't it a coincidence that he worked at the same place Ana did AND lived with Christian in Detroit. Convenient!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Juvenile rubbish, 7 July 2012
Having read the 3 books that make up the 50 Shades saga in a week,I have come to the conclusion that had E L James not had to describe in minute detail every sexual encounter between Grey and Steel it would have been just the 1 book.Honestly a little bit of titillation fine but,I don't know if E L James is male or female (and I don't particularly care) but how naive does this author think we all are? I can honestly say I will never read another E L James book again.Not only for the fact that you do not think your readers have a brain cell between them but, for the fact that that is a week I will never get back!!! Not worth the 1 star I had to rate it to write comment

1.0 out of 5 stars A rare read!, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Freed (Paperback)
I'm clearly in the minority here....probably because everyone who hated the first book never got this far. Well, I borrowed these books from a friend and was slightly curious about how the trilogy would end so felt compelled to read it. Unfortunately I had just finished the Hunger Games trilogy (brilliant read) so coming back to Fifty Shades really highlighted how poor these books are.
This was a rare read for me as I have only ever not finished a book once before - I read a book a week on average! Well, I didn't finish this one either. I read the first couple of chapters then skipped to the last one, closed the book and happily gave it back to my friend.
Basically the writing is poor, the characters are cringeworthy (at best) and the sex is dull. In 50(!) years time these books will be long forgotten and fortunately considerably more talented authors will still be fondly remembered, their work having had a lasting impact on the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Freed (Paperback)
Things I realised having read all 3 books.

1. By the end of book 3 I was sick of reading the word "Whoa". Can I suggest EL James finds a new word for future books?
2. If she looks at him through her lashes or bites her lip once more, I might be tempted to smack her myself and not in a good way.
3. After all this sex, how is Ana even able to walk or at least not have cystitis.
4. The amount of times I was thinking just walk out and dont stand for any of his c**p; yes you love him and he has issues, but stand up for yourself.

I have to say the best bit of book 3 was the chapter from Christian's perspective; I have to agree with a previous reviewer, maybe book 3 should have been from his viewpoint.

Would I read them again? Yes I probably would, but would skip the sex scenes (to be honest they were getting tedious from book 2 onwards; there is only so much pulling back of hair and fisting hair I can take).

2.0 out of 5 stars OH CHRISTIAN, PLEASE!, 21 Jun 2012
Mr (WOLVERHAMPTON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
OH CHRISTIAN, PLEASE!

I succumbed to the viral marketing and read the Fifty Shades trilogy. After a promising start to the trilogy, I was intrigued by the characters and their experiences. E L James takes this smouldering rogue, this anti-Mr Darcy and unravels him to reveal nothing but a sad, insecure, pitiful man. Subsequently, the plot is dashed to pieces. "Freed" is the worst instalment of the trilogy.

Any merit the characters had in the beginning steadily dissolve amid Ana's repetitive internal dialogue. The Punch-and-Judy-style conversations between Ana and Christian is relentless: "are you smirking at me Mr Grey?", "Don't bite that lip, Mrs Grey"... I was mildly amused when Christian marks Ana on their honeymoon as this is part of his nature after all and I'm not convinced that Christian needed to be "cured". We liked him dangerous and naughty. His remorse will give way to his inner Dom eventually and I don't believe in the Happily-Ever-After ending for a minute.

Reading "Darker", I cringed when Christian appeared to tame a deranged Leila like a rabid dog. Also the way that Christian was ready to sub for Anastasia like a malfunctioning robot. There was so much James could have achieved here yet she retreats into the most obvious of clichés in regards to the correlation between Grey, "the crack whore"/his biological mother, and his Dom tendencies. He likes to whip/spank/cane these brunettes because they all remind him of his loathed mother. By the end of the trilogy I was left feeling nothing but indifference for Ana and Christian. The villain (Hyde) is barely worth a mention here.

Maybe the publisher urged James to write a trilogy. Maybe fans e-mailed her with their ideas, and she simply copied-pasted them into the story. In desperate need of a thorough editing, these books were rushed and the trilogy should have been incorporated into a single publication. I refuse to read the next instalment, written from Christian's perspective. In any case, E L James is laughing all the way to the bank.

2.0 out of 5 stars Childish, 24 July 2012
This is the worst of the three books in the series.

I feel like the book was written by a teenager, for teenagers. This is not just in the language used but also in the behaviour of its two main characters. The degree of immaturity they display is staggering and literally unbelievable.

The repetition of certain words and phrases is beyond irritating. It's lazy, poor and immature writing.

I wanted to know what all the fuss is about and I'm still not sure. There is much, much better erotica around. There are books with much more believable and fully rounded characters who truly display the light and shade of real people. I can't even describe the books as escapism. They are painfully desperate and utterly lacking in depth, genuine emotion and writing skill - in my opinion.

Superb publicity story, however.

1.0 out of 5 stars If i'd only known!, 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Freed (Paperback)
Oh dear, if I'd known it is so easy to write a Bestseller, I would be rich by now! And alas! She even made 3 of them!

So here's the recipe for everyone interested:
1) First (and most important!): Decide which basic words/phrases to use (not more than 5) and repeat them continuously (just some examples: exasperating, murmur, good point well made, ...)
2) Choose two dull characters who fall in love head over heals (no preamble needed)
3) boring sex, boring sex, boring sex, ... (always mention sex in a book, sex sells! Repeat at will, don't forget the inner goddess)
4) No plot whatsoever
5) Repeat that about 50 times, divided in as many chapters as you like
6) Avoid good editors at all costs!!!

Well, I have to say, the book cover is very nice (so the one star goes to this). But usually authors don't have anything to do with book covers, hm...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to copy and paste my new Bestseller about someone doing something maybe with another person in a city. It will have at least 4 parts with 500 pages each and will be epic!

2.0 out of 5 stars More rubbish from this series!, 8 Nov 2012
Worse than the first 2! Seems to be the same over and over again. Not recommended at all by me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Suprised, 25 Oct 2012
I was anxious to read this book after reading the first 2 very quickly. However i found this one alot harder to get into and to enjoy. I had read almost half of the book before i regained the interest again. Overall though I enjoyed reading all of them and would recommend them.

Fifty Shades Freed
Fifty Shades Freed by E L James (Paperback - 26 April 2012)