3,593 Reviews
 (2,175)

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty in relationship
Published on 3 Oct. 2012 by Dr Eva Maria Chapman

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Oh god where do I even start with this one?! Why on earth I read the second book when I disliked the first so much I have no idea and in all honestly I will probably read the third one at some point just because once I start something I like to finish it! I'm strange like that lol.

Anyway I disliked the first book but I hated this one, it dragged on and the...
Published on 30 July 2012 by Emma

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty in relationship, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
I have read the whole trilogy and love the trajectory of growing intimacy between the main characters. Yes the books could have done with a careful edit but the conversations, sex scenes and how the relationship develops are written really well. In fact 50 Shades Darker is better written. EL James herself says she gets better as she goes on. I continued to care about the characters. Christian and Ana were so bereft at the split in the relationship and learnt a lot from it and are both determined to do whatever they have to do to make the relationship work. They both strive for honesty and clarity. Ana must voice her inner thoughts and even though this often causes tension and strife, it is best in the long run. Ana challenges herself too- could Christian love her if she didn't remind him of the kind of woman he wanted to be sadistic towards? Christian's therapist John Flynn picks up on this and I would have liked to see more of her inner development in this regard. The sex scenes continue to be innovative and intimate. The billiard table scene with its lead up of engaging banter between Christian and Ana is thrilling and must be in my top three of sexy scenarios in the trilogy and of anything I have read elsewhere. Brilliant book 2 and you have to read the trilogy to get the overall picture of how more truth between two people leads to greater intimacy and trust.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)

Anyway I disliked the first book but I hated this one, it dragged on and the storyline was ridiculous, it included annoying things such as Christian buying the company Ana works for just to spy on her, sex crazed bosses, crazy ex-subs with a gun and the return of Mrs Robinson aka the Pedophile that introduced Christian to BDSM when he was at the ripe old age of 15! All that sounds pretty exciting right? WRONG! The writer manages to write so that everything seems so dull and boring, I was exasperated by this book. All of the things I found annoying about the first book were still present in this one but somehow this one was even worse.

1.0 out of 5 stars I like BDSM, 14 April 2013
M. J. Bailey (Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like BDSM.
Not into hurting people I care for, but I do like the effort to make sex a mental activity rather than a purely physical one.

I don't like 50 Shades Darker. it made me feel angry.
Angry that 5 days after dumping the distinctly uncharismatic Mr Grey she lets him boss her around again.
"Eat Ana"....so she eats. Why doesn't she does tell the arrogant swine to leave her alone?

Commands and control can play a role in consensual BDSM, but when you are only meeting for lunch it's just plain rude. And although his power and riches might seem exciting, can you imagine having his children? He would be too busy empire building to bother with them, and if they did anything wrong he would probably crucify them.

I know doms who are lovely and treat their subs with respect. Ms James's so-called hero should really be behind bars as a menace to society. The book is once again badly written, badly thought out, with a string of highly annoying repetitions. With a dialogue which is so unrealistic as to be laughable.

I forgave all that in 50 Shades because it introduced BDSM to a wider audience, and hopefully refreshed a few wavering relationships. But once was enough. This book is illiterate and does great disservice to the kinky community.

1.0 out of 5 stars I dont understand!!!!!!!!!!!, 24 Aug. 2012
OK, here's the thing. I don't ask a lot from my books. Just to have a half decent story and be reasonably well written. I read (and quite enjoyed) the Twilight Saga for Pete's sake! That's why I wasn't exactly expecting a literary masterpiece from the 50 shades book, but I admit I'm a bit of a sheep and wanted to see what the hype was about.
I genuinely don't understand how anyone of average or above intelligence can see these books through! The repetativeness of it is actually shocking. If the constant oh my, whoa, or holy crap/cow/moses didn't have you wanting to tear out your own eyes I don't know what will.
Cocking heads. Think back to the last time you ever saw someone actually cock their head. Poor Christian must have whiplash the amount of times that guy cocks his head in a day! Moving on, calling each other by surnames. Who actually does that? Yes it might be comical to call the other half by their surname when being formal now and then but every day? Really? Go home tonight and start calling your partner by their surname and see how long it takes them to ask you why your being "weird".
Next, the sex. I admit I was looking forward to this bit having no experience of bdsm myself. For a book that is supposed to be about something so taboo, you would assume the author would figure that the audience would be over 10 years old and would therefore refrain from referring to Anas vagina as her "sex". I'm willingly reading a book about bdsm. I think I can handle the word vagina.
I get that Mr Grey is the hottest guy alive. I was told every page in the first book his eyes are smouldering gray (ah, and his name is Grey, look how that worked out!) But I don't care who you are, it is impossible to have earth shattering orgasms every time a certain man looks at you.
Oh the fullness! Whatever love.
Finally the sickeningly lovey love in the second book. I love you, I love you too, dont leave me, I won't leave you, you might leave me, well you might leave me, I'd die without you, well when we broke up (for 5 days ffs) I nearly did die, please don't leave me, I will never leave, you own my body and soul (because people actually say things like that) always, I love you always. I think I threw the book at the bus driver at this point.

1.0 out of 5 stars three for ten pounds, 6 Sept. 2012
C. E. Mainwaring (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
First, I must explain; I stupidly thought that this triology was akin to a rather filthy Steig Larson type thingy and as a result bought the three books, on offer fot ten pounds, and took them on holiday.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAagh

I could go on.

I have never in my life read a book where I desperately skipped the dirty bits to try to get to the plot. At least in the first book they used condoms, my god the girl must have to wear Tena Ladies. Just leave her alone already. And for god's sake Ana, take an anti-psychotic for that inner goddess.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as book one but definitely worth a read, 8 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
The second book in the Fifty Shades series, in my opinion is not quite as good as the first.

I still enjoyed it and I'm still looking forward to reading the third one but I just felt that it was missing a little something. And I also became a little exasperated with the two main characters.

What I did like about this book was the extra characters and storylines that are brought into play. The first book was very much about Christian and Ana getting to know each other and so it generally just focused on the two of them. And although the story in Fifty Shades Darker is also focused on Christian and Ana, there are other storylines and characters introduced too. Such as the evil `Mrs Robinson', and Ana's rather inappropriate boss. And it was great to have more chapters with Christian's family in them.

I think these extra side plots gave some great dimension to Ana and Christian's already hectic relationship.

Another compliment I have for this book is the character development of Christian and Ana. By the end, they are hardly recognisable as the same two characters we were introduced to at the beginning of book one. The author has done a great job of letting them develop and grow and compromise with each other and portrays a very realistic story of two very different people falling in love gradually. This was so refreshing.

Therefore, I am a little sad that I didn't love this book as much as I wanted to. My problem was mainly the exhausting ups and downs of the relationship. I understand these arguments and `make ups' had to happen for Ana and Christian to be able to move forward but, it just happened so often! Like, every day there was a new drama that would cause them to fall out dramatically... and then make up `dramatically'. It felt like being on the `big dipper'!

So ultimately, if the third book can take the excellent pacing of the first book and marry it together with the character development and relationships of the second book then I will be very happy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Hype - Falls Flat at page 2., 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
Well, what can I say! I was one of those who bought into this hype. I read the first book, and found it informative (not my cuppa, but each to their own); I was more interested in the romantic element of the plot. I must admit, the first book left me very curious as to whether they would be together in the subsequent books. (SPOILER ALERT) Suffice to say that after finding out that Christian does love her and wants to marry her, that was it for me! For me, that is the end of a love story!

There isn't enough substance in the plot to keep me interested after that. As for character development - it is quite unrealistic. I supposed I was looking for a simple love story a la Steele or Collins, but really, I should have just bought Steele or Collins, at least there is more intrigue, the language used is more varied, unlike EL James' ubiquitous 'Oh my'. It is extremely irritating!

This book, for me, fails at quite a few levels that a good book should be at. First, the plot is thin, as it doesn't really develop in this book. It goes around in circles. Second, I don't care about the characters. Third, the language used is quite juvenile, almost insulting the ability of its readers. Lastly, if it trying to explain BDSM, it probably introduced it in the first book as this book offers nothing new. You are better off 'googling' it.

I was too hasty in buying the last book as well. I find myself not able to pick it up. Alas, I don't think I will read it. This should not have been a trilogy. It should have ended at book one.

I've wasted my money - don't waste yours! Go and read The Hunger Games - much more entertaining!The Hunger Games Trilogy Box Set

1.0 out of 5 stars 50 Shades of Boring, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
I read the first book, and it was ok in it's limited way. Quite readable.

Then I started on this second book and it soon becomes clear than 90% of this book is a rehash of the first book. All the same phrases, all the same sex scenes. It just becomes boring.

Now, I like sex as much as the next red blooded person but you do find yourself skipping over the sex scenes in this second book, mainly because they are exactly the same as the first book.

Someone else wrote in a review that the author should buy herself a thesaurus, and I would agree. The same words and phrases are used time and time again. Perhaps it's the fault of the editor not to have picked up on this, but it does become annoying and, yes, BORING!

1.0 out of 5 stars Literary trash!, 4 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Board book)
Childish, immature, pathetic, sick (what is E L James' obsession with fingers in orifices!) Apparently these are her fantasies conjured up in her mid-life crisis! I hope the world opens it's eyes and a backlash against these ridiculous books gathers pace. They are completely ridiculous, but also with a nasty side to them that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 9 Jun. 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
I loved Fifty Shades of Grey, despite what everyone said about the repetitious nature of the prose and the parlous dialogue. All of which was true. The story however, was fresh and interesting and sexy enough to keep me intrigued. I liked the fact that Christian and Ana's relationship was quite complex, and psychologically reasonably interesting. I finished the book and immediately bought the two sequels because I really wanted to know how Christian and Ana's relationship played out.

I wish now that I hadn't. The sex is slightly less vanilla in this book, but that is all that has changed, and what was intriguing has now become dull and predictable.

Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Darker by E L James (Paperback - 26 April 2012)