Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 January 2014
I don't normally buy collections of Christmas stories, or adult Christmas books. This one, with it's charming jacket, looked like it might be good. The stories are collected from well-known and highly respected authors. I hoped I might find stories that took me back to a time when Christmas was less a commercial bustle, and instead a simple, best of times among family and friends. I wanted to be reminded of the Christmases I fondly remembered without all the current chaotic distractions. I wasn't disappointed. The first story I read was by Truman Capote: "A Christmas Memory". The skilled writer drew me into a well-preserved memory of his own (when he was 7), and in the companionship of an old, but beloved female relative. The 2 of them conspire with scant resources and, gifts of nature to make an abundance of a traditional, edible, and a uniquely Christmas treat. The story must be sampled, to be fully appreciated. Settings, and circumstances of each of the stories are diverse, but among them are more than one to share on Christmas Eve, or with a friend. Just published this year: this was one of the best discoveries of the Christmas season.
on 11 July 2014
A delightful collection of Christmassy tales - All you need it a roaring fire, a drop of something nice and perhaps the odd mince pie!
on 8 December 2013
Bought this for a present but ended up keeping it myself (and purchasing another) as I started flicking through it but got completely engrossed. Fantastic variety of quality writing.

If your not feeling the Christmas spirit I'd recommend this book!
on 13 September 2014
I BOUGHT 2 CHRISTMAS ANTHOLOGIES AND PREFERRED THE OTHER ONE BECAUSE IT IS A MORE CHRISTMASSY, ATTRACTIVE, ILLUSTRATED BOOK, WITH WHAT I THINK IS A BETTER SELECTION OF POEMS AND CHRISTMAS EXTRACTS, ETC., BUT THIS PARTICULAR BOOK IS STILL VERY GOOD, ALTHOUGH WITHOUT ILLUSTRATIONS. THERE ARE IDENTICAL WRITINGS INCLUDED IN BOTH BOOKS, JUST IN CASE THAT MATTERS TO ANYONE.
on 27 February 2014
Excellent collection of short stories from a wide choice of authors. Recommend if you like traditional short stories. Arrived as advertised, good value for money.
on 9 January 2015
Bought as a Christmas present and has been enjoyed
on 15 January 2014
Bought as a present for my wife and she loves it. Excellent short stories and gentle reading before bed each night
on 3 February 2014
I bought two copies of this book to give as christmas presents. I felt they had a good selection of stories.
on 12 February 2014
Not as original as I hoped as several of the stories appear in other compilations I already own. Shame the dust jacket was torn on my copy
on 31 October 2014
Not as expected , I got fed up with reading after the first few pages , festive cover , but even though stories are somewhat festives Jeeves and Wooster , story Bored me to tears Dissappointing