5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting
Other reviews have discussed the story line which is quite moving in its own way. Like it or not the reader is drawn into the plot in a quite extraordinary way and the characters are heart-wrenchingly superb. Along the way you will learn a great deal about the Hasidic community and its beliefs but overall it is the human story which will grip you to the end. A must read.
Published 20 months ago by Nightowl

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Read about 40 pages and did not like it one bit. Was very disappointed with the way it was written
Published 7 months ago by tracy r leslie

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 11 Aug 2012
Nightowl (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A look into a shockingly ritualistic and guilt-ridden culture, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
I found it very, very interesting and couldn't put it down as it revealed such a hidden world. Unlike 'The Marrying of Chani Kaufmann' which is about the same culture (Jewish Hasidic) this was incredibly dark and left me with a really sad feeling which isn't what I like when I read a book. I chose it because the other book had been quite delightful in parts, though it too revealed similar rituals. 'I Am Forbidden' brings a shocking and sad awareness that whole groups of people in different cultures and religions continue to be brainwashed by meaningless ritual and guilt and we should be thankful that in the modern world, despite all our criticism of modernity, this is beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly moving, sensitive story of love and loss, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Hardcover)
This tightly plotted, multi-generational novel is incredibly strong and full of more surprises than you might expect given the author's background. It sensitively explores the lives and moral challenges faced by one Hasidic family. Particularly poignant if you are Jewish or have any connection to Central European History, but also a moving novel in its own right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this read. Well written and engaging, this was a glimpse into a hidden world. I recommend this highly

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping yet extremely disturbing, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
An enthralling story which was difficult to put down and at the same time deeply upsetting. It's horrendous to think that these events happened to millions of people during that era. We must never allow it to happen again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., 6 July 2013
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
I belong to a book club and one of our members suggested we read it As we are a group of women she thought we might be interested to see how women in others cultures live thier lives,It was amazing and I would say to anyone trying to understand other cultures to give it a go. I would certainly like to learn more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 22 May 2013
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
The world of the Hasidic Jews is a frighteningly remote and at once primitive but learned universe. On the one hand the ruthless subordination to the teachings of the Bible make it positively cruel in its lack of room for compromise, and on the other hand the tradition and the ritual which has united the community for so many generations make it strangely alluring and one understands the hold it maintains on those who submit to its rules. This book will enlighten many people while telling a human story which is universal. Very well written and compelling. I recommend it most highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 24 April 2013
Ms. A. Georgiou (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
Fascinating book giving an insight into the workings of a Hassidic Jewish family. I did feel that there could have been more written about the independant daughter and how she fared in the non-Jewish world but, on the whole, a really book and would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and illuminating novel, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Paperback)
A thoughtful and illuminating novel about the joys and expectations of a Hasidic upbringing and what happens when these conflict with an unexpected choice that life throws up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing., 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It took the reader into the heart and headache of a very ultra orthodox Jewish community.

ARRAY(0xab49b744)

I Am Forbidden
I Am Forbidden by Anouk Markovits (Paperback - 28 Feb 2013)
5.59