4.0 out of 5 stars Master Of The Genre
Jo Nesbo has once again kept me on the edge of my seat, for a long time. 'Police' is a big book in many ways length is but one aspect. We meet, once again, many of the characters in the novels that lead to this one. This novel is so clever, that what you thought you were comprehending turns out not to be the reality.

It takes almost half of the book before we...
Published 20 months ago by prisrob

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite
It has taken me three attempts to read this book, not wanting to quit I ploughed through. I have always enjoyed Jo Nesbo books and this is the first I have found difficult to read, which I wonder if the translation was too literal. Differentiating the different characters at the beginning of the book was my biggest problem and tended to get lost. I hope that you enjoyed...
Published 3 months ago by Norfolk Biker Chick

4.0 out of 5 stars Master Of The Genre, 4 Oct. 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

It takes almost half of the book before we hear about Harry Hole, again. After his dangerous last venture, will Harry return? The team needs him, someone is killing policemen, a serial killer is on the loose. Their comrades are being slaughtered in such unmentionable ways, but laid out in graphic detail for us to see. Crimes from the past that have not been solved are re-enacted bit by bit, but this time a member of the police as the victim. The new Chief of Police is a man looking out for himself, taking all the credit for the good, and dosing all the bad on his minions. The team is stymied, they need Harry to help them out of this hole.

Time after time just when we think we have an idea of who the serial killer may be, some thing or someone changes the avenue, and we are left trying to figure things out. The media in Oslo plays a very small part in this novel, the Chief of Police is the only one bothered by them. The team needs someone with a wide variety of contacts and friends so that small clues can begin to surface. The small elite team put together by Gunnar Hagen was a secret from the Chief of Police. He has a therapist, wise in the ways of serial killers, Katrine and Beate, who are the minds of the group, and Borjn , this is the best. But, they need Harry Hole with his fine mind to help sift through the clues and put them together.

Jo Nesbo is one of the more clever writers. Explicit, gruesome murder scenes are set up with such skill we can see them in our mind's eye. The characters take turns with their brilliance. The characters we think may be on the outside looking in are, in all actuality, leading the band.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 10-04-13

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Police: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 8) (Harry Hole 10) (Paperback)
(Spoiler warning!)
I've now read all of the Harry Hole books apart from Cockroaches, so this was the 9th if you include The Bat. Nesbo's become a great favourite of mine and I looked forward to Police for months.
To be honest though, while it's a worthwhile read, it's not the best of the series by far. Somehow the storyline has become ultra-convoluted, and some of the relationships between good-guys/ villains/ relations of both, stretch the imagination a notch too far. Likewise, Harry's post-police career role in "Police" is taking a step too far away from the police procedural credibility that enhances the earlier offerings.
Could the chief of police really get away with all of this, for so long?
What are the closing pages implying? A sequel has got to be coming, or if not Nesbo owes us big-time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Would I recommend Police - you bet!, 28 Aug. 2014
Police continues the excellent series of Harry Hole novels by the wonderful Jo Nesbo. To be frank this isn't the best novel in the series (I have read and enjoyed them all) and it perhaps has more flaws than some of Nesbo's earlier books, however, like all Nesbo's novels its one hell of a story - gripping, jaw dropping, and edge of the seat stuff - perhaps just not quite up the elevated heights of some of his earlier novels.

Would I recommend it - you bet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry's Final Case. Or is it?, 17 July 2014
A great fan of the earlier books in the Oslo octet, I felt the ending of number eight and final book in the sequence, was just a bit too tidy and a little far fetched. Having said that, it's still a damn good read with all the normal dark twists and red herrings you expect from Nesbo's writing. Will we see Harry resurrected in the future? So many bits of him are damaged or missing, I don't think he would last for many more investigations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is Harry ? You may ask at the start., 24 May 2014
B. F. Bailey "Brian" (Herts England) - See all my reviews
I confess that I read this book twice, one right after the other. To get my head around the twists and turns in this plot, I suggest you do the same. This will give you twice the enjoyment. Brian Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST HARRY HOLE YET, 7 Feb. 2015
Well, this is the 10th outing for Harry Hole and Jo Nesbo has really hit his stride with this one. Harry was left, shot in the head, at the end of the last book, 'Phantom' and the "Is Harry dead?" question is kept going for quite a long time in 'Police'. There are other twists too and t all makes it very difficult to comment on the plot without giving away any spoilers. So I'll try to just stick to commenting on the style and the qualities of 'a good read'.

I've read all of Mr Nesbo's books except for 'Headhunters' (that's next) and I have been quite critical of some of the Harry Hole series. One of my main grumbles has been with the 'Harry Hole Formula' which includes Harry's partner / family / sidekick being either killed or placed in dire jeopardy by the main villain. It seems that Jo Nesbo can't quite shake that habit as it crops up, yet again, in 'Police'. However, this time, the rest of the story and the writing style more than makes up for the repetition of a tired and increasingly unbelievable plot device.

As with all of the other books, 'Police' can be read as a stand-alone book but the story is greatly enriched if you have read the others first and so understand the background, history and nature of many of the characters. Jo Nesbo, understandably in a series set in the same place each time, uses the same characters and relies upon the reader becoming familiar with them. Mr Nesbo has never shied away from killing off key and/or sympathetic characters and, in 'Police', he enacts a veritable massacre of the cast. The shock is delicious!

This book is pitch perfect in its pace, style and narrative action; it truly deserves the hoary old term 'page turner' and I was loath to leave it each time I had to put the book down. I'm wise to Mr Nesbo's ways so a few of the areas where a less seasoned reader would have been misdirected by the carefully worded text didn't deflect me (as they were intended to do) but that didn't detract from the story, at all, for me. There is just one major stretch of the imagination, where the plot is too contrived and causes a blip in the 'suspension of disbelief' but the hurtling pace of the story carries the reader past that point almost seamlessly. There is also some use of the Nesbo 'mirror serendipity' style in the plot, with actions and issues for a hero character being mirrored by a villain character; clever stuff that adds depth to the story.

So I'm delighted to be able to report the last of the Harry Hole series (so far) takes the whole series (impossible to say without a pun) to its highest
peak. This is a cracker of a book and I can't recommend it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Police as the hunted, 25 Jan. 2015
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read my way through the Harry Hole series. This one picks up where 'Phantom' left off.Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7) 'Phantom' ended with Harry Hole apparently breathing his last and as 'Police' begins the other police characters take over to fill the void left by Harry. Oslo is haunted by a serial killer but not just any serial killer, this one is killing police. The victims, by and large, are officers who were associated with the investigation of unsolved murders. For some reason these officers or former officers return to the scene of the unsolved murder on its anniversary and meet a gory end. Harry's former inner-circle of friends does not escape the attention of the Cop-Killer and one murder is particularly shocking.

Old relationships break down. Bellman, chief of police, is without the help of 'hands on enforcer' Truls Berntsen who has been suspended by Bellman for failing to account for a sum of money lodged to his bank account. The position of Bellman as chief of police is under threat as the murders mount up and the local Council move to sideline him as not up to the job in a move instigated by his lover (scorned) Isabelle Skoyen. Ulla his wife remains loyal to him despite discovering his affair.

New and sinister characters feature in the form of violent convicted rapist Valentin Gjertsin and Silje Gravseng a young blond female student in the police academy. It is hard to decide which is the more dangerous and sinister and by the end of this novel that remains unresolved.

The plot twists and turns to mislead and shock and horrify. The reader's emotions and stress levels are exploited to the full. It is a gripping read but best not read immediately before an attempt to sleep. It is also one of the most graphic of the Harry Hole novels and there were parts where it crossed the line as far as I was concerned. Nevertheless there is a lot packed into its 628 pages and enough loose ends and sinister implications to form the basis for the next in the series which I will probably buy when I have recovered from the shock of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in the series, 6 Dec. 2014
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
The tenth book in the Harry Hole series - surprising because it doesn't feel like I've read ten books or spent that long with the characters - picks up not long after the conclusion of Phantom and takes forward some of the plot threads that were left hanging. As can be expected for this series, there's a serial killer wandering Oslo - and all the police characters from the series to date come together in a massive investigation.

Nesbo crafts the story well, leading me into making assumptions, then leading me to doubt my assumptions - a great way to keep me interested and constantly mulling over the story in my mind between reading sessions. I really liked how this felt much more of an ensemble piece than some of the earlier works and we got to spend some quality point-of-view time with lots of the recurring characters - they now feel much more real to me than in previous books.

This is by far the most emotional of all the Hole stories - Nesbo really managed to hook me in to the plot and characters and make me feel truly scared for them. This was surprising in itself as I rarely become that involved with fictional characters, and I really liked how the author managed to get under my skin.

Quite possibly the best book in the series - though you probably have to have read the others to be into it as much as I was. I'm ambivalently hoping that this isn't the final book so that I can visit the characters again, and that this was the final book so that they (and I) aren't put through such gut-wrenching experiences again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Police - Jo Nesbo, 12 Sept. 2013
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nesbo has come a long way in the 8 years since The Devil's Star was first translated (and, I for one, was hooked). He's now one of the bestselling crime writers in the country, and regularly tops bestseller lists, rare for translated writers. To do so routinely with every translation is remarkable. And, what is more, this massive popularity is deserved, every whit of it. Nesbo writes the greatest police/crime novels around. Big, bombastic blockbusters with great depth, stuffed with plot and twists.

Police is my favourite since The Redbreast, I think. It's hard to convey quite how gripping Nesbo's books really are, how expertly he crafts his plots. Several plot strands swirl around each other; scenes end at crucial moments so you simply have to keep reading; plot strands veer off in unexpected directions; all of a sudden Nesbo lays a hint that seems to rock everything you thought you'd read before; and from about page 200 twists come thick and fast. There are truly heartstopping moments here, (and a couple of heartbreaking ones). Personally, it's rare that thrillers really, truly grab my pulse and make my heartbeat race (normally, I just enjoy the ride; they rarely affect my physiology) but Nesbo's really, really do.

By the end of this book, which in terms of its crimes is a true festival of horrors, there are plot strands everywhere swirling in a storm (however they are all handled calmly and expertly by the writer), suspect characters behaving suspiciously everywhere you look, and you have no idea how the cards are going to fall and what's going to happen and who's going to come up trumps. The last 50 pages are the most gripping i've come across in a long time. And the final page is quite, quite horrifying. I can't wait to see what he does next.

If you've read Nesbo before you'll need little encouragement to buy this. Rest assured: it's one of the best (though it takes longer than some of the others to get going). If you haven't, start with The Redbreast or The Redeemer (both of which are good entry points into the series). Wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 4 Jan. 2015
Sandra Foy "Sandra" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
There is a serial killer on the streets of Oslo who is targeting police officers involved in previously unsolved murders. There is a man in a coma being guarded at the hospital and the new, self-serving, Chief of Police is extremely interested in him and what he may have to say. Harry Hole is retired, now lecturing. His expertise is desperately needed but he is very unwilling.

This book is dark, very dark…and scary.

There are lots of characters from previous books who have more space to breathe here as Harry is missing for the first third of the book. The other characters more than make up for his loss, they are so full-bodied that it’s sometimes hard to believe they are the supporting cast for Harry.

The ups and downs in this book are immense, the cliche roller coaster does not even begin to cover it. There are moment of joy and laughter (few and far between) but the moments of heartbreak are appalling.
It was so painful, so, so painful that he couldn’t breathe, so painful that he was doubled up, like a dying bee with its sting removed.

Nesbo delves deeply into the psyche of his characters, showing the human condition not only at its best but also at its most base. Even the good guys have a raw, brutal, almost animalistic side and there are times when it is positively uncomfortable and you feel you should really look away.

The complexity of the myriad plots is jaw-dropping, but Jo Nesbo handles these complexities with apparent ease. His touch moves through the book like a ballet dancer, gliding from scene to scene, character to character, plot to plot, effortlessly. 600+ pages and not one wasted. He is a master of his craft and this is his best book yet. It is unclear whether he will continue with Harry Hole but I for one hope that he does.
Outstanding.
*****

Police: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 8) (Harry Hole 10)