4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked
Published on 23 Jan 2004 by AP Lester

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful disappointment.
Squalid, unneccesarily violent and out of character with all the previous books. Could have been written by someone else.John Harvey has lost a fan.
Published 1 month ago by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 23 Jan 2004
This review is from: Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) (Paperback)
This was my first John Harvey novel. Did I like it? Suffice to say I was inspired to buy and read all the other nine books in the Charlie Resnick series plus Now's The Time (Resnick short stories). I read the remaining nine in published order and found that author Harvey not only developed Resnick into a rounded character but maintained pace, pathos and sound police procedure. These are bitter-sweet tales revolving around a lonely, frequently-sad career copper and the author's choice of Nottingham - a 'normal' mid-sized English city unlike Hollywood versions of LA or San Francisco - adds to the realism.
Be warned, if you read one Resnick novel - you'll be hooked and want to read all 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and harrowing, 27 Jun 2008
Duncan (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) (Paperback)
I've always rated John Harvey's Resnick novels at least on a par with masters such as Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson. Harvey's work has a harder edge, with some harrowing details here about the descent into the abyss of all the various members of the Snape family. It comes close in tone to William McIlvanney's 'Laidlaw' books in its gritty realism and unsparing [but sympathetic] treatment of the lives of the underclass. Resnick himself is a worthy, if flawed, hero struggling to make sense of the events he is drawn into. He's well contrasted in particular with his bigoted colleague, Divine. Like Rankin's Edinburgh, Nottingham features prominently in Harvey's books. As a resident of that city, I find a pretty recognisable [and not always flattering] picture of the place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Showing them how it's done, 25 Feb 2010
This review is from: Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) (Paperback)
I've only recently discovered John Harvey's Resnick series (how I missed them first time round is beyond me), and have been reading them in chronological order. Having reached this far, I decided it was time to write a review.

A few years ago, I started reading Christopher Brookmyre, which led to Carl Hiaasen, which led to me visiting my local Waterstones and asking the guy there for recommendations in a similar vein. He pointed me towards Stuart MacBride, and I have since read the Logan MacRae series from start to current finish. This in turn led me to Mark Billingham, and I have read the Tom Thorne series in the same way. All of which led me to John Harvey.

I am so glad I did things this way round. Brookmyre and Hiaasen aside, if I had started with Harvey, then Billingham, then MacBride, I doubt I would have got past the first couple of books in the Thorne and MacRae series. As it is, having read MacBride and enjoyed him, Billingham's books showed me where MacBride got his inspiration from, and subsequently, Harvey's books have shown me where Billingham got his from. Had I have started with Harvey, I would have probably found Billingham merely okay, not as good as Harvey, and then MacBride would have been not as good as Billingham, which would have left me unable to read his books, which would not have been fair to him (though his last offering has put me off him somewhat, but that's another story!).

I chose to review this one, rather than any of the earlier Resnick novels, as I found this one interesting in that, to me, it was the first one since the first in the series that could be read without any prior knowledge of the characters. Harvey takes the time in this one to explain who each of them are, with a bit about their backgrounds, whereas other books seemed to have assumed that the previous ones have already been read, therefore the reader knows who each of Resnick's colleagues are. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read, and I would recommend Harvey, and particularly the Resnick series to anyone yet to experience him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a good read, 16 Mar 2007
This review is from: Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) (Paperback)
I could write about the wonderful structure of the story, the devlopment of the plot and the ingenius way the story is crafted but I wont. I bought this book at the start of some annual leave and had read it in two days, for me more gripping that the Di Vinci Code because this story is believeable. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful disappointment., 24 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Meat, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) (Paperback)
I lkie John Harvey's Chalie Resnick novels and this was no exception. Good plot, a story well told very satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 20 Mar 2013
Could not put this book down
A very good book which grips you from the very first page all fans of crime novels will enjoy this story

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Meat., 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) (Paperback)
He keeps coming up with great thrillers and this again is one of them.I always look forward to opening the first page as you know it will be a while before you put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good novel in the Resnick series, 14 Aug 2014
I have read a great many Inspector Resnick books and found them excellent plots and well drawn characters and I especially like Resnick as he is honest, reliable and compassionate, I just found the actual story line rather depressing but that I guess is real life.

Barbara Morris-Gibbons

Easy Meat: (Resnick 8)
Easy Meat: (Resnick 8) by John Harvey (Paperback - 28 Feb 2013)
6.69