Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2014
I picked this up after seeing that the author of the amazing A Gathering of Twine (The Spirals of Danu) cited it as a major influence.

And I can see why. Dark, brooding, an atmospheric thriller that is filled with dread at the hero gets caught up in the obsession of his idols possessions, including the titular mirror.

The influence of this book is not hard to see, including the Kiefer Sutherland movie of the same name.

Gloriously dark and deliciously twisted.
on 22 September 2014
I enjoyed this one,all Graham Mastertons books are good and imaginative too,and it would be difficult to say which one is the best,because all his books are very good he hasnt written a bad one yet and I doubt he ever will,some though you might like more than others as we all have different tastes, I didnt realise I had so many of his books until I went though all mine not so long ago and have now started to re-read them again Including this one too,the story is about Boofuls a child film star,but this boy has a secret that could end his career for good,when you start this book you will not put it down until you have finished it,...........
on 5 June 2006
Struggling Hollywood script-writer, Martin Williams' dream is to never have to pen another episode of The A-Team and get his musical about 1930's child protege 'Boofuls' produced. His obsession leads him to buy a mirror - the very mirror in fact that was hangining in the room where Boofuls was brutally murdered.

When Boofuls suddenly steps out of his mirror into the real world, Martin slowly becomes submerged in something bigger than deadlines and antagonising agents - forcing him to look beyond the looking glass and face the most Evil Force of all.
on 7 November 1999
This was the very first Masterton book I ever read and it is still my favourite. Not only is it gripping from beginning to end, but the plot itself leaves you hanging of every page in anticipation of whats going to, or could possibly, happen next. Focusing on a mirror which "witnessed" an horrific murder, and then some 60 years later when the mirror decides the time is right to show what is behind it, resulting in an all too believable plot of demonic resurrection, this book is both terrifying and addictive.
on 22 January 2014
The author described loads of violence, fears, extreme pain, and horrific experiences without so much feeling. There were mistakes, too! Sure every reader picked up that Dr Rice, the gynaecologist who saw Boofuls on the night he was murdered (50 years ago), happened to be only 60 years old when he recalled his experience to Martin?!?! This indicates Dr Rice was merely 10 year old when he was supposed to be practicing Gynaecology!
on 2 July 2004
This book is definitely one of my favourite Masterton books. I had always been a strong Richard Laymon fan, but following the downward spiral the books penned under his name have taken since his death, I thought a change of author would be good. How surprised I was to discover the sheer quality of Masterton's work. This book is truly superb, it's twisting and gripping plot kept me on the edge of my seat right to the last page. The concept behind the story is superb and the graphical descriptions of how to stay youthful and handsome were stomach-churningly fantastic. Masterton is an author who all horror fans would be foolish to overlook.
on 26 August 2001
This was the very first Masterton book I have ever read, too, and my favorite as well. Since then I have read dozens of his books, most of which are great as well, but this one really kept me awake for many nights. It is written very vividly and really is beliveable enough to make the reader look at mirrors in a different way than before. :)
If you are not familiar with Graham Masterton, this is the book to start your journey. It is a path that you will have trouble in getting off, believe me.
on 10 August 2013
I read this all in one go as it was hard to put down. The ending seemed to happen suddenly and was a tad disappointing. Definately recommend it though.
on 1 December 2011
However when it finally kicked in it was a fun ride. I liked Pariah more but I can honestly say it was not that bad.
on 14 January 2013
Very enjoyable book. Makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck! Couldn't put it down. Great storytelling.