4.0 out of 5 stars A delightfully festive read
Published 9 months ago by Rosie Read

2.0 out of 5 stars Really quite bad....
Lazy writing , 2 dimensional characters and a plot that just skims the surface. Had the writer put a bit of effort into fleshing out her characters and giving the story some depth it could have been so much better.
Published 7 months ago by Laurmac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightfully festive read, 9 Oct 2013
We're introduced to our heroine, Carrie quite quickly, but Macomber paints her character clearly enough to feel as though we know her mere pages in. Brimming with ambition and a healthy dose of stubbornness Carrie sets off to change her career by tracking down reclusive survival guide author, Finn. There were a few points in the book where I thought I could see, with some sort of perverse inevitability, where the plot was going. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I was proved wrong. What I like about Macomber's novels is that, for a short while at least, they manage to cure me of my pessimism and I am simply able to sink into the romance of her story.

While Finn and Carrie's relationship is initiated fairly quickly, Macomber throws up enough roadblocks that it is also given time to mature. Making an interesting and refreshing couple who have to overcome their seeming conflicting lifestyles in order to make it, Macomber doesn't make this easy for Carrie and Finn and manages to respect both of their personalities in making compromises, something that I feel is missing in a lot of recent novels.

My only concern is that the novel felt a little short to me, but I don't know if that's because I ending up reading it so quickly.

'Starry Night' left me warm, fuzzy and decidedly (although cautiously) festive. A light, warmhearted read that is the perfect way to ease yourself into the holiday season I'd happily recommend Starry Night to anyone looking for a quick, romantic read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starry Night, 6 Oct 2013
Till now I was not familiar with Debbie Macomber, although she is a famous author and #1 New York Times bestselling. Well, better late than never :)
Have you seen "Northern Exposure"? I loved the series and reading the novel I couldn't stop thinking about it. Having seen it actually made the novel easier for me, as I could really understood Fin's love to Alaska.

The main character Carrie is working as a society journalist in one of the newspapers in Chicago but she dreams of becoming a real reporter, and so she get her first task: she must find a best - selling author of an adventure book who hides somewhere in Alaska and who's not giving any interviews. If she finds him and interviews him she is going to get the reporter job.
And here starts the adventure. Trying to locate Finn, Carrie finds his mother, flights to Alaska on off - chance, convinces some bush pilot to take her to Finn.
Carrie was a great character. She was warm, likeable and loyal: to her friends but also to her beliefs. She has not an easy job with Finn, who doesn't actually think good about other people. He feels hurt, abandoned and he wants to live in peace with his great dog Finnessey. There were moments that I wanted to shake him, slap him or kick him but altogether, Finn was, well, a real man. And handsome too.

Of course the book is predictable. Of course they fell in love. Of course there are some obstacles, like Finn denying he has feelings for Carrie at all. But it is a great, funny, fluffy read. Not too sweet, not too dramatic, not too childish, not too over - sentimental.
The writing style is really catching and engaging, the novel is written straightforward and in interestingly. It's warm and positive. We are hoping for a happy end and we get it of course but not without some bumps on the way which only add to this book. It is maybe not too long but nevertheless it is full of emotions. And it is never too early for a Christmas read! And it was enough for me to entice me to try more Debbie Macomber's.

I received a copy of this book from publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really quite bad...., 5 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Carrie has stars in her eyes., 31 Dec 2013
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Starry Night (Paperback)
Debbie Macomber is another novelist that you must read at Christmas, well in my opinion anyway. In Starry Night her new novel for 2013, she invites us to the Alaskan wilderness. Carrie wants to be taken seriously as a journalist and not just report on society happenings and who was seen with whom at whoever's most recent soiree.

Carrie is set a challenge - she will be given more serious pieces if she can first of all get an interview with a reclusive author, Finn Dalton.

Finn Dalton wrote his book about surviving in the wilderness from experience and what he was taught as a small boy by his father. He has grown used to the world that exists just outside of his door in Alaska. His exact whereabouts are not known to anyone and many have tried to reach him, but few have succeeded. Why will Carrie be any different?

Carrie knows quite a lot about him but when the opportunity arises to speak to his mother and return something memorable to both her and Finn's father, it seems that Carrie may well have the key to finding out about Finn and that will then lead her to the interview which will make her career. Finn however seems reluctant to know his mother.

Macomber paints the Alaskan landscape so well, that I felt I did not want Carrie to upset Finn's life and bring him back to the hustle and bustle of life and the fame that he has created around his book. Carrie is not suited for this life but she has to survive there somehow as it seems that she may be stuck for a while. She is sacrificing everything for her career, that includes family time at Thanksgiving just to get this man to talk to her. Finn is rather reluctant.

It is inevitable what will happen, but there is a frozen pause to the relationship that develops between Finn and Carrie. When you think there is a thaw, everything turns again and it is all frozen. But both Carrie and Finn have to chip away at each others resolves until the right ending is reached.

Despite the cold setting this is a warm book which restores your faith in so much and reminds you that love can be found in the most frozen of hearts and places.

4.0 out of 5 stars A charming festive read, 8 Dec 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Starry Night (Kindle Edition)
Over the years I have read many Christmas stories by Debbie Macomber so when I saw that Starry Night was available to review on NetGalley I just had to request a copy to include in my Christmas reading challenge.

Carrie Slayton is a newspaper journalist who's desperate to get her teeth into reporting gritty news stories rather than doing the rounds reporting on events for the social pages. Finally having had enough she decides to hand in her resignation but her editor offers her an alternative, he'll let her cover news stories if she can get an interview with bestselling author Finn Dalton.

But this is not going to be an easy task as Finn is notoriously reclusive, infact no-one here seems to know where he currently lives. But Carrie's investigations lead her to Finn's mother, and with the help of his friend Sawyer she eventually arrives in the Alaskan wilderness where he's living but arriving in the middle of a storm is when the fun starts...

I really liked both Carrie and Finn because of their differences. Finn was your typical brooding hero, aloof and more comfortable with his dog Hennessy than spending time with other people, whereas Carrie was such a warm, outgoing and likeable character who enjoys social interactions with people. On paper they have nothing in common but as the saying goes 'opposites attract'...

There was the inevitable predictability within this novel, with how the two meet and overcome their differences, but if you can overlook this then what you have is a charming love story that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Although not overally Christmassy there was just enough to get into the festive spirit.

3.0 out of 5 stars STARRY NIGHT BOOK, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Starry Night (Paperback)
WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS BOOK TO ARRIVE. IT WAS OK BUT NOT UP THE DEBBIE'S NORMAL WRITING AS I HAVE LOADS OF HER BOOKS. WILL STILL READ ANYMORE BOOKS THAT ARE WRITTEN AS SHE IS A GREAT AUTHOR

5.0 out of 5 stars Always good, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Starry Night (Paperback)
This was in very good condition. I love all Debbie Macomber books & have over 100 of her books, which I often re-read. I haven't started this yet but know it will be a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Starry Night (Kindle Edition)
This was a book I didn't wont to put down, I only wish I had the time to read it straight through, hope you enjoy it as much as I did, thank you Debby for your books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Starry Night (Kindle Edition)
As with all other books of Debbie macomber this one was absolutely brilliant I just get lost in the story ,everything thing that needs to be done is absolutely left undone

5.0 out of 5 stars Starry night., 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Starry Night (Paperback)
Another great success by Debbie I made an error and ordered two, but the second was very well received by a friend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Starry Night
Starry Night by Debbie Macomber (Paperback - 21 Nov 2013)
3.85