5.0 out of 5 stars first book in a series that will take the Man and the Myth to a whole different level
Spartacus:

Ben Kane has been able to deliver and deliver and deliver when it comes to Historical Fiction, His excellent (and i hope not finished) Forgotten legion Series, the wonderful Hannibal: Enemy of Rome, and now Spartacus.

At first i was a little reticent about someone doing this in tandem with the TV series, The TV series that while it had...
Published on 17 Jan 2012 by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read
I have read all of Ben Kane's books and enjoyed every one. This is another action packed adventure and worth a read but i don't think its quite as good as Hannibal Enemy Of Rome, his last book, which had a far more involved plot and more defined characters. However, the action in Spartacus is constant and captivating.

The one major disappointment for me was...
Published on 27 Jan 2012 by Paul14

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars another twist, 16 Mar 2012
Robin Brilly "" bookworm "" (shoreham-by-sea, england) - See all my reviews
nother twist on the spartacus legend, will we ever get to the truth of this man?. i found it an easy read providing one accepts that it is the boys own genre style, i shall probably follow the saga through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 10 Feb 2012
Liked the story, well written and enjoyable. characters keep you interested in what happens to them, which is too be expected with the author. Woud recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Break-Neck Storytelling, 7 Feb 2012
I'm a great fan of Ben Kane, and as far as I'm concerned, he's the best living writer in the Roman genre [my ultimate favourite being Rosemary Sutcliff.] Like Sutcliff he evokes the period brilliantly, and the quality of the writing is superb.

However, I was left exhausted by this one. The fighting is non-stop. I do love a good action scene, but there was no down time in between and character and suspense seem to have fallen victim to the break-neck pacing.

3.5 stars, I found the constant head-hopping irritating, and by half-way I was beginning to wonder why Ariadne was given a POV. I also spotted several typos/missing words, and there was a terrible anchronism when Spartacus says 'if they hear us, we're screwed.'
Screws? In Ancient Rome?

The first few chapters are shaky, but stick with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am Spartacus! Well he is, not me. You know what I mean...., 29 Jan 2012
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ben Kane does what research is possible on a real historical character and shapes it to his narrative, most of which follows the known history of Spartacus and the slave rebellion. Mr Kane makes Spartacus an leader, tactician and a unemotional killing machine but holds back on real character beyond that. Instead he uses a Roman fellow gladiator to provide deeper characterisation and to give us a slightly different perspective and view on the events as they unfold.
Most of what we read here happened and most of the significant characters are based in reality too, but as always the author knows his stuff and sucks us in to a very entertaining historical romp, with at least one book to follow.
Roman actioners have been popular for a while now and Ben Kane has firmly established himself as one of those that are well worth reading, easily mixing it with the (currently) more famous names. Ben Kane's advantage is that while he plays in the era, he does not feel the need to stick with characters that he uses every time. This makes his books fresher and less predictable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking novel, 17 Jan 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've enjoyed Ben's writing for quite some time so when I heard he was tackling Spartacus I had to hope that he was bringing something new to the fore especially when most people will be thinking either of Kirk Douglas or the recently deceased Andy Whitfield. Also tricky when theres seems to be a whole host of Spartacus titles out there from other authors for the Young Adult market.

So what has Ben produced? Is it worth the money? And perhaps most importantly, is it any good?

Well to be honest it's a title that has a realistic feel which isn't surprising when you consider that the author has done a lot of in depth research and when blended with a feel of David Gemmell's Connovar (from the first Rigante Book, Sword in the Storm) and the reader is in for a real treat.

Add to this great prose, top notch action and when backed with Ben's own authorly voice, it's a story that, in subsequent books, will help bring the rebel to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Kane Spartacus, 15 Feb 2012
Mr. R. Brown (Arbroath Scotland) - See all my reviews
After the Lost Legion series, this proves that Ben Kane is a master story teller, in the same mould as Conn Iggulden,Simon Scarrow, & Bernard Cornwall etc:
Thie gritty realisim in his writing captivates you from the start, the action starts from the first page and roll like a steam roller,
I would recommend this as an international best seller.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 24 Feb 2012
I. B. Pitbladdo "jacandian" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I read and enjoyed the forgotten legion chronicles. Spartacus however, for me at any rate, failed to reach the high standard set in the previous trilogy. I thought it read like a comic book, a feeling reinforced by the constant (and maddening) italicised thoughts of the hero. I could without any difficulty picture a text bubble with little bubbles issuing from a drawn head and saying something like 'hmm, that's what he thinks!' Sorry, I wanted to like this but it just didn't happen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 27 July 2012
I really enjoyed The forgotten Legion triology Ben Kane has written. After that, somehow I wanted to read everything he writes. I started reading Spartacus and it's just not good, characters, their thoughts, storyline, it does not meet the expections I had after forgotten Legions. Spartacus feels like it is written for commercial purpoises, an easy wide known subject like Spartacus will appeal to a wide audiance, so it sells better. One star because the book is not good, a second star because the writer is really good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and tedious, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Spartacus: The Gladiator: (Spartacus 1) (Paperback)
Got this for my hubby who hated it. Long-winded, endless gory details of bloody fights leading to unrealistic survival, and amazing coincidences caused total lack of that essential element in a good story - suspension of disbelief.

1.0 out of 5 stars Show not tell, 23 July 2013
This book flouts the laws of writing. As readers we need to be allowed to work things out for ourselves, to let our imagination fill in the blanks. We are not given that opportunity. The old mantra "show not tell" isn't followed in this book so what could have been a good read is spoiled.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa65df474)

Spartacus: The Gladiator: (Spartacus 1)
Spartacus: The Gladiator: (Spartacus 1) by Ben Kane (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)
3.51