4.0 out of 5 stars Short, readable, atmospheric
I enjoyed reading this one afternoon over the Christmas holidays, so I was surprised to read the many negative reviews and wanted to restore some balance.

I freely admit I don't know a lot about the Pendle trials, and I do have a thing about historical accuracy, so this would possibly have annoyed me if I were an expert, but I have checked with a friend in the...
Published 14 months ago by A Ryder

3.0 out of 5 stars Messy and muddled (review contains spoilers)
I've loved a lot of Winterson's writing, and have enjoyed other books in this Hammer series - but sadly this combination just doesn't work here. Taking her cue from the real case of the Pendle witches, Winterson pulls together a heady brew of Satanism, anti-Catholicism, rape and sexual violence, torture and death.

The problem is that there's far too much going...
Published 11 months ago by Roman Clodia

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars adult fairy tale, 3 Aug 2013
Not a book to take too seriously. A bit gory in places made me wince a few times. but a good adult yarn of spooky witchery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mistress of her craft., 12 May 2013
Ghastly and poetic in equal measure.One of the most extraordinary things I have read-Winterson is mistress of her craft and has profound understanding.She has distilled a marvellous elixir in this.

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit too gory for me but she makes for a powerful read, 4 May 2013
M. M. Charles "dilly" (uk) - See all my reviews
It has scenes of really horrific violence, but i feel the author uses the theme of sexual violence and sexuality to really highlight these poor womens powerlessness in what were very grim times,at the same time it highlights there spirit. it is a very angry and defiant book there is a rape scene that leaves the woman still defiant, until she looses her tongue, again these women had no voice and were vcictimised because they were vulnerable. i can't say that what i have read was enjoyable,(i wont finish this book)but the author makes a poweful and very angry statement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully evocative book, 18 Mar 2013
I am a huge fan of Jeanette Winterson and I was vaguely familiar with the story of the Lancashire Witches. This book was a fascinating read and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the period or who just wants a well informed beautifully written book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Daylight Gate, 3 Sep 2012
A. Siburuth (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Daylight Gate (Hardcover)
This is one of the worst books I have ever read! I shall not pass it on, nor would I recommend it to anyone. I found it to have no proper story, but I personally felt it was full of depraved sex acts - it was a slur on the memories of those ten people who were sent to the gallows in August 1612. I have carried out a lot of research this year on the Lancashire Witches, and just hope that anyone who is unfortunate enough to read this will realise that it is a load of rubbish!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Present, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Daylight Gate (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a present I wanted to give, so I can't really write a review. However I have read Jeanette Winterson and I must say she really can write. I think she is a great writer; otherwise I would not have chosen this book to give as a present.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Oct 2012
Having read every JW book I was disappointed for the first time. This is very much a switch of genre to straight narrative, so if like me you read JW for her wonderfully poetic use of language and imagination then this will not hit the mark. On the less negative side it is a very well told tale.

1.0 out of 5 stars A travesty. Read Malkin Child by Livi Michael instead - it's well researched & well written - real, honest & truthful.., 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Daylight Gate (Hardcover)
This is a pointless book - unless you are interested in another Jeanette style Mills & Boon romance with an obnoxious Gothic twist. It wouldn't be a good book if it was simply fictitious - but it is doubly offensive as it's based on a real historical event.
Ten real life people were hanged in August 1612 for the 'crime' of witchcraft. Anne Whittle; Alice Nutter; Katherine Hewitt: John Bullock; James Device - to name five - ordinary people with ordinary names. Names that are still commonplace - look on Facebook or in any telephone directory and you'll find them these surnames often enough.
Today in various countries of the world adults and children suffer torture and death because we - human beings - are a superstitious race. We can fall prey to our fears, just as people did in the 1600s, and believe that this person or that child is a witch.
The Malkin Child reclaims the historical accounts of the Pendle Witch trials. Livi Michael writes a plausible story which has relevance in today's world. Furthermore, her book is associated with a charity that helps rescue children deemed to be witches while also educating the people of their communities so as to enable them to overcome their superstitious fears.
While Jeanette Winterson's book ....? Utterly pointless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading The Daylight Gate, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Daylight Gate (Hardcover)
The design and size of the hard back book cover and the colours of its edging became part of the pleasure of reading. The tale told is dramatic, gripping and memorable. Winterson has skillfully weaved fact with an imagined human story, where the landscape is as evocative as any character. Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daylight Gate, 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Daylight Gate (Hardcover)
A beautiful tale of the Pendle witches . Weaving in the state of the times and lyrical descriptions of place. Pendle is still a powerful and magical place, maybe their shades are there still.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9e8deef4)

The Daylight Gate
The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson (Hardcover - 16 Aug 2012)
7.49