5.0 out of 5 stars Super
Published on 28 Jan 2012 by Edward Hobden

3.0 out of 5 stars Another 'okay' book
I was a bit disappointed that this wasn't a continuation of Sally and her little brother. They are rarely mentioned but completely new characters are brought in. I wasn't too impressed with the story and will not be buying any more Beach View books
Published 20 months ago by Barbara Hewett

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 28 Jan 2012
Edward Hobden (Cornwall,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House) (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Ellie Dean's first book, There'll Be Blue Skies' I was really looking forward to the follow up. I was not disappointed, the characters are so well drawn that you can imagine yourself as a fly on the wall and Ellie provides the perfect blend of drama, tragedy and humour that we have come to associate with Britain at war.An easy read but a most enjoyable one - I can't wait to catch up with the Reilly family in the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House) (Paperback)
I was so sad to hear of the death of Annie Groves and was looking for an author in a similar vein who writes strong female characters and who does their homework regarding the home front during WW2.

I wasn't disappointed (although I do wish that the publishers would do a little research on the uniforms and styling of WW2..the cover photo is dire!)and I do hope it's not the last we hear from Beach View guesthouse and it's residents.

I think Ellie Dean has a very nice writing style, and captures the spirit of the era beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far From Home, 17 Sep 2013
This series of books are brilliant - there are five in the series so far - I'm hoping for a sixth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far from home. GREAT!!, 26 April 2012
I was really pleased a second book out, and it certainly was just as good as the first. Like others can't wait for the third!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful tale from the pen of Ellie Dean..., 26 Mar 2013
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Far From Home by Ellie Dean is the second book in the series and once again we are brought into the life of Peggy Riley and her family, not forgetting the waif and strays she has a habit of giving shelter to in her boarding house which she inherited from her parents.
Within this book the main characters include Polly who has to say goodbye to her darling daughter Alice, as her mother and sister is taking Alice along with her cousins to safety in Canada for the duration of the war. There is also a Polish girl, sister of Alex who we met in the last book who was killed in action her name is Danuta a girl with so many hidden qualities but she soon shows what she is truly capable of. Danuta is like no other girl at that age she has seen things that no-one should ever have to experience but she has faced the tragedies in war torn Poland and many other countries as she fled from the Nazi's. But as always we are given enough background information about the characters therefore it is impossible to stop reading until I get to the last page to see what happens to each of the occupants of Beach View.
Why I love Ellie Dean as an author she has a gift of showing the readers the scenes she paints using words, as a reader I can see through her words what the devastation and heartache people faced in a daily way throughout the Second World War. She also has a gift of giving us characters which will touch the reader so much that personally for me I cannot wait until I get the next book for myself to see what is happening within the walls of Beach View Boarding House.
Though the girls who are living with Peggy are far from home, they soon feel the love and care Peggy has a knack of providing just at the right time, always ready for a cup of tea and chat no matter how weak the tea is her heart is always ready for more people to love and guide in her own special way even while dealing with the charades of her own family who constantly keep her on her toes waiting for the next thing to provide a few upsets along the way.
I highly recommend Far From Home by Ellie Dean as a brilliant read and a wonderful next instalment for Peggy Riley and her mixture of tenants who all need her at different times throughout the book. This is one read which you will not be disappointed with as with the many talents Ellie possesses she keeps us readers entertained throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, 19 Mar 2013
2nd in the series and just as enjoyable as the first. Characters all blended together and families still struggling along

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 19 Mar 2013
I brought this book not realizing that it was the second in a series of beach view so when I started to read it I began to recognise some of the character's.
It's a really good book once I started I didn't want to put it down.
The story's brilliant and made me cry at times.
I'm just about to buy the third book so can't wait to carry on with the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Sep 2014
Mrs. A. K. Hopkins "pink chick" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House) (Paperback)
Brilliant yet again, I've read all of the Beach View series and loved all of them. Oh to be sitting in Peggys kitchen, with a cup of tea and Grandma Finch sitting by the range. If you like stories set during the 2nd world war you'll love this! Ellie Dean has the knack of creating the atmosphere of war time, to the point that I felt the rumble of the air craft and could almost taste the dust in the air from the bombed out buildings. Can't wait for another in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Dean I have to say that I really do enjoy her books, 11 Sep 2014
Having recently discovered Ellis Dean I have to say that I really do enjoy her books, set during WW 2 her family sagas are an escape into another time. She draws you into the story and makes you feel part of the family.I am in the process of reading all the Beach View books and hope Ellis keeps writing. Definitely worth 5 stars, superb!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR FROM HOME BY ELLIE DEAN, 23 Jun 2014
THIS BOOK WAS A VERY INTERESTING AND SOMETIMES IMMOTIONAL BOOK THE CHARACTERS VERY REAL AND I COULD ALMOST FEEL THEIR PAIN AND SUFFERING. ANOTHER BRILLIANT BOOK FROM ELLIE DEAN

Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House)
Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House) by Ellie Dean (Paperback - 19 Jan 2012)
3.86