5.0 out of 5 stars Great, New Look At The Spirit of Christmas.
An excellent read.
I've read almost all of John's books, and enjoyed most of them. This is a real breath of fresh air.
The humour is subtle, and John really captures the feeling of Christmas.
Published on 4 Feb 2002 by allieb65

2.0 out of 5 stars A real turkey of a book
Published on 26 Jan 2002 by raymond@aldridge66.freeserve.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, New Look At The Spirit of Christmas., 4 Feb 2002
allieb65 (Congleton, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
An excellent read.
The humour is subtle, and John really captures the feeling of Christmas.
Peace, is something the Luther Krank seeks, when he is faced with Christmas, so he decides to "Skip Christmas" completely, but, in a very entertaining chain of events he slowly realises that Christmas isn't just about tinsel, candles, presents, lights, fixtures, fittings and big bank balances, and that there is far more than that involved. A simple phone call completely turns his plans upside down, and he finds himself at the "mercy" of those he was avoiding.
I read this book, "post Christmas" and found I could really relate to some of the feelings conveyed.
A VERY GOOD READ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!!, 23 Mar 2006
I have to say that this must be one of my favourite books. It is so easy to read and the main characters come alive, with all their weaknesses and silliness. You can't help smiling at some of the incidents and the twist in the tale ...... well, it takes your breath away!
Brilliant as a present, but buy it first for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, must be read before Christmas!!, 14 Nov 2001
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
This is a very different story for John Grisham. Must be read before Christmas. I really enjoyed this book, it made me laugh and the story has stayed in my mind long after finishing the book. A very good read, I highly recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What Christmas Is All About...Unfortunately, 6 Sep 2003
Mr. D. J. Moody "davemoody2" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
In a good way this book makes you cringe. Why? Because we have all been there at CHristmas time. The stress of the planning,the cost of it all. So as we have all thought at times, the characters in this book decide to escape and instead of spending all their hard earned money on gifts and food decide to escape on a cruise. The cringe moments come when the whole street is decorating their houses and theirs is the only one without so much as a bit of tinsel. It is typical of how we are always looking at what the neighbours are doing and what they will think fi we dont celebrate Christmas the traditional way. The pressure is piled on to them to conform and as the stress levels increase as a reader the scenes that are set become more hilarious. Defenitely worth a read and a good diversion from the heavy legal bound usual writings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic feel-good Christmas read, 26 July 2005
By A Customer
Skipping Christmas is a wonderful little book to get you in the holiday spirit. It offers a comical and also cynical glimpse into the stress of the run up to Christmas. Throughout the book you will laugh out load then shed a tear at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Grisham Lite" hits the spot, 13 Jan 2003
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
This is great fun. Grisham really isn't trying too hard as he points the finger at the excesses and social paranoia that dominate Christmas. It's an enjoyable read that is little more than a long short story. Grisham's well practiced, easy style, zips along at a comfortable pace with some neat, wry observations about suburban behaviours. Read it and then give to friends to read next year.
One small gripe - Grisham loses his nerve and goes for the Disney ending when something a little more Grimm would have been far more satisfying. Shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars A real turkey of a book, 26 Jan 2002
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
I bought this on the back of all other John Grisham novels, however, I have noticed that his plots are becomming a little tired!. This was one my holiday reading material over christmas and quite frankly I could not believe it was written by the same man who bought us The partner, A time to kill and The Firm. Its a daft story and an even dafter ending. I will wait for reviews on his new book before I buy any more of his novels, because his last three books leave alot to be desired. I think this guy has lost the plot!

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat disappointing, 23 Dec 2001
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
Sorry to say that I didn't really enjoy this. I am such a fan of Grisham, and did enjoy painted house. But Skipping Christmas was a let down. It was too simple, too twee, and I found it difficult to keep my interest and read through to the end. It read like a long short story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Christmas Classic!, 29 Jun 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
As much fun as Skipping Christmas is to read, it's even more fun to read the second time! Knowing what happens just sharpened my enjoyment of the book's beginning. I look forward to rereading this book every Christmas.
I also hope that a movie will be made of it. Luther Krank is an inspired comic character. He and his wife, Nora, will remind you of Jackie Gleason and Alice Meadows in The Honeymooners. In his younger days, Jack Lemmon would have been perfect for the part of Luther.
Like all great Christmas tales, this one teaches new dimensions of the real spirit of Christmas while taking aim at the humbug that tends to grow up around the edges in our celebration of this important Christian holiday.
Is Christmas just for the children? Or is it for the child in all of us?
How do you know when you've had a wonderful Christmas? How can you prepare to have a better one? Reading this book will undoubtedly give you some good ideas of where old habits need to be amended, and better ways of celebrating begun

5.0 out of 5 stars A parable that is wonderful no matter what the time of year, 14 April 2002
Mary Chrapliwy (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
I just finished this wonderful little book and enjoyed it tremendously! This is a parable about Luther and Nora Krank and their first Christmas without their daughter Blair (who has left to join the peace corps). Nora is ready for the same old Christmas festivities - which they spent a small fortune on the previous year. Luther, an accountant, adds up the previous year's receipts and convinces his wife that since it is just the two of them that they should save their money and go on a cruise instead. They agree and forgo all of Christmas, no lights, no tree, no gifts, no parties, no hassles, no expenses. They become quite delighted with their plan to skip all the Christmas festivities and go away together on the cruise. Unfortunately, their neighbors and friends are shocked by their decision to go away and lay on the pressure. The neighbors turn on them, tease them, and mildly harrass them. Now, that all sounds awful, but what happens next will surprise and delight you. This book takes you through many laughs due to its satyrical nature as well as giving you quite a lump in your throat at the end. John Grisham has stretched his wings with this one and comes out on top! This is a great book, read it, you'll be so glad you did!

Skipping Christmas: Christmas with The Kranks
Skipping Christmas: Christmas with The Kranks by John Grisham (Paperback - 3 Nov 2011)
5.59