Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 May 2013
I loved this book. Everything Alex talks about I can relate to - from the fear of setting out on your first run, to the clothing, especially underwear, decisions that come with the sport. I am no professional - I try to do 2-3 5k runs a week but I wanted to read something to inspire me to increase this and do a half marathon. I was always of the mindset that I wasn't a natural runner but reading this book I realise there really is no such thing unless you want to be elite. Most average Joes with two legs and a healthy pair of lungs can run a marathon with a bit of commitment. As Alex says, there is no big secret to running and you just need to get out and do it. So why buy the book if it's that simple? Alex tackles the emotional and psychological side of running in an honest way which is inspiring. She has gone through the same 'what's the point' phase as I have and this book helped me realise that there IS a point to running and it's about so much more than just crossing the finish line or losing weight. It also made me laugh out loud as well as cry, which is why she got the full five stars.
on 24 March 2014
This book wasn't at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be another "how to" type book, but instead Part I is the story of an ordinary girl's journey from out-of-breath-beginner to full marathoner. Along the way Alex lends her valuable experience to help newbies and seasoned runners alike. The story of her first trip to a running shop made me laugh out loud. Then in other parts I wanted to cry with her as she battled through injury and lack of motivation. I have taken a lot of this book into races with me and it has never failed to inspire me to finish.

Part II is very interesting and inspirational; including a chapter on the history of women's long-distance running starting from when women were banned from competing in the 60's and the stories of the amazing female runners who made it possible for women all over the world to enter any race they choose. Who knew it wasn't until 1984 that women couldn't compete in the Olympic Marathon??

I have the Kindle version and bought the paperback for my 14 year old daughter who is also loving it. I would recommend it to everyone.
on 16 May 2016
I was preparing to run a half marathon and this book was recommended to me as an inspirational read.

It certainly lived up to expectations.

I could relate to so many of the scenarios in the book and it really opened my eyes and inspired me to continue running, fantastic read.
on 24 May 2013
As I have just taken up running and being a real novice I enjoyed the way she describes her experience. It made me giggle so many times. Had no idea about the history of running a marathon for women. Just all in all very readable, lots of practical tips and interesting
on 26 May 2013
I read this in 2 days. Beautifully written and non patronising both attributes I like in a book. I'm already a runner and now I've decided to get better at it. Thank you "hemmo"
on 17 January 2015
First running book I have read, as a novice runner, It's full of hints and tips that I shall take with me when I start running more than 30 minutes/train for charity runs. Easy to read and gives you a good chuckle, light hearted a very enjoyable read. Highly recommend.
on 21 May 2016
Highly Recommend -- a great read, fun, truthful and offers excellent honest advise for all those who feel inspired to get up and give jogging a go - from what clothing to wear, through to underwear and footwear. A 'must' read for everyone!
This is an adventurous book that takes a look into reasons why we don't run, or for that matter, anything that takes effort and is potentially painful. The author takes us through her own hardships and emotional personal trials before addressing the intrinsic block that is committment. The challenge starts from the most fundamental and difficult, actually putting on your training gear, to the achievements and highs of going the course. This is not just a feminine issue. Accepted, family and work issues are important, but Alexandra Heminsley tells how and why, with no punches pulled, we can all benefit from the highs of running and the satisfaction of accomplishment that fulfill and embellish life in a personal and knock-on effect. My senior citizen wife (doesn't look it) has taken to it like a duck to water. Shameful for me, but getting there. Excellent motivational book. Honest and humorous.
on 19 August 2015
Excellent book. Being a bloke trying to understand the differences between how men and women run can be confusing and drop one in it by not understanding. Not saying this book provides all the answers but it helps one to understand points one would never consider.
on 4 February 2015
I have been wanting to get back into running for ages, having last run on tread mills in a gym. I have always been a bit daunted about running outdoors. This book has inspired me to take the next stage from power walking in local woodland to running 3 days out of my 5 days, and my goal is a 10km run in this very woodland next January. Thank you Alexandra.