5.0 out of 5 stars Tackles every aspect of starting to run
Published on 15 May 2013 by Hannahr1902

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
A lighthearted account of the joys and trials of being a female runner. Part autobiographical, part 'a guide to running'.
Published 21 days ago by Sara

5.0 out of 5 stars Tackles every aspect of starting to run, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
I loved this book. Everything Alex talks about I can relate to - from the fear of setting out on your first run, to the clothing, especially underwear, decisions that come with the sport. I am no professional - I try to do 2-3 5k runs a week but I wanted to read something to inspire me to increase this and do a half marathon. I was always of the mindset that I wasn't a natural runner but reading this book I realise there really is no such thing unless you want to be elite. Most average Joes with two legs and a healthy pair of lungs can run a marathon with a bit of commitment. As Alex says, there is no big secret to running and you just need to get out and do it. So why buy the book if it's that simple? Alex tackles the emotional and psychological side of running in an honest way which is inspiring. She has gone through the same 'what's the point' phase as I have and this book helped me realise that there IS a point to running and it's about so much more than just crossing the finish line or losing weight. It also made me laugh out loud as well as cry, which is why she got the full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 May 2013
I read this in 2 days. Beautifully written and non patronising both attributes I like in a book. I'm already a runner and now I've decided to get better at it. Thank you "hemmo"

5.0 out of 5 stars Running hurts, but it's worth it!, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
This book was incredible. What I loved the most about it was that it didn't sugarcoat the pain and challenges of running as so many other running advice sources do. Heminsley perfectly describes the rollercoaster of emotions that goes hand in hand with running, and simultaneously makes you want to pull on your trainers and cry, because running is worthwhile, but difficult. I'd just finished my first 5k before reading this, and since reading it, I've chosen my first 10k race to run in May, and a half marathon to run in October,

5.0 out of 5 stars Just loved this book, 24 May 2013
As I have just taken up running and being a real novice I enjoyed the way she describes her experience. It made me giggle so many times. Had no idea about the history of running a marathon for women. Just all in all very readable, lots of practical tips and interesting

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 28 Aug. 2013
enjoyed humour in book and gave me encouragement to start running again
writer was very down to earth in her writing

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book which was a gift, 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book which was a gift. I certainly don't think it is intended to be a 'self help' book or educational as some reviewers have suggested. I read it as one women's personal experiences of starting to run and her journey through marathons. As a new runner, I could identify with many aspects and side effects of running let's say, so that was a relief that I was not abnormal. I certainly don't feel that Alex is in love with herself as she does not talk in such a manner, but actually very down to earth on how she felt. and very frank in places. I would love to see more like these. And if she has got an 'arse of an athlete' and waist of a 'supermodel' well good on her. If that is what running can do to your body, then bring it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars not an information book but truly inspiring and funny, 6 Feb. 2015
Not that informative, so don't buy if you want a guide to how to run.

But a fantastically motivational and inspiring account of how running can change your outlook on yourself, life and how it can change your relationships too :-)

It's a great book to read if you're a newbie like me who had lost some of the passion for running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational and so like real life!!, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
This book wasn't at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be another "how to" type book, but instead Part I is the story of an ordinary girl's journey from out-of-breath-beginner to full marathoner. Along the way Alex lends her valuable experience to help newbies and seasoned runners alike. The story of her first trip to a running shop made me laugh out loud. Then in other parts I wanted to cry with her as she battled through injury and lack of motivation. I have taken a lot of this book into races with me and it has never failed to inspire me to finish.

Part II is very interesting and inspirational; including a chapter on the history of women's long-distance running starting from when women were banned from competing in the 60's and the stories of the amazing female runners who made it possible for women all over the world to enter any race they choose. Who knew it wasn't until 1984 that women couldn't compete in the Olympic Marathon??

I have the Kindle version and bought the paperback for my 14 year old daughter who is also loving it. I would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fun, 24 May 2013
T. Rodriguez "Tatiana" (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I'm glad I gave this book a try as I am takin on the hobby of running. It's full of useful tips in a much more enjoyable way than browsing blogs and reading websites. Also it is very motivational. It was a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Running like a girl, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
Really great book for anyone just starting out running. Loads of really useful tips and I felt so motivated to go out running while I was reading it. Would recommend to anyone!

Running Like a Girl
Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley (Paperback - 16 Jan. 2014)