5.0 out of 5 stars Tackles every aspect of starting to run
Published 14 months ago by Hannahr1902

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read
I read this book in a weekend as it is very light. Its ok - I'll be honest, I don't think shes at the stage in her running to write about it. I personally felt she didnt have enough running years under her belt. Maybe this book would appeal more to beginners (I'm at a similar running level to the author with 10 years of running at the point of picking this book up). I...
Published 12 months ago by Miss

5.0 out of 5 stars Tackles every aspect of starting to run, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
I loved this book. Everything Alex talks about I can relate to - from the fear of setting out on your first run, to the clothing, especially underwear, decisions that come with the sport. I am no professional - I try to do 2-3 5k runs a week but I wanted to read something to inspire me to increase this and do a half marathon. I was always of the mindset that I wasn't a natural runner but reading this book I realise there really is no such thing unless you want to be elite. Most average Joes with two legs and a healthy pair of lungs can run a marathon with a bit of commitment. As Alex says, there is no big secret to running and you just need to get out and do it. So why buy the book if it's that simple? Alex tackles the emotional and psychological side of running in an honest way which is inspiring. She has gone through the same 'what's the point' phase as I have and this book helped me realise that there IS a point to running and it's about so much more than just crossing the finish line or losing weight. It also made me laugh out loud as well as cry, which is why she got the full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had read this sooner, 28 Nov 2013
I loved the story of Alex's journey into the world of running. A lot of which I can relate to. It's nice to get someone else's perspective on what they've been through and of course the brutally honest thoughts that go through your head when running a long race. I would say this is a great book for a newbie runner or someone thinking of running Those who have been running for a while may not necessarily need all the advice, but can probably relate to a lot of the stories or feelings.

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 28 Aug 2013
enjoyed humour in book and gave me encouragement to start running again
writer was very down to earth in her writing

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 May 2013
I read this in 2 days. Beautifully written and non patronising both attributes I like in a book. I'm already a runner and now I've decided to get better at it. Thank you "hemmo"

5.0 out of 5 stars Running like a girl, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
Really great book for anyone just starting out running. Loads of really useful tips and I felt so motivated to go out running while I was reading it. Would recommend to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars so real!!, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
Fantastic real life read, I loved it all.....her honesty, the ups and downs, everything...really didnt want to come to the end!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just loved this book, 24 May 2013
As I have just taken up running and being a real novice I enjoyed the way she describes her experience. It made me giggle so many times. Had no idea about the history of running a marathon for women. Just all in all very readable, lots of practical tips and interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fun, 24 May 2013
T. Rodriguez "Tatiana" (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I'm glad I gave this book a try as I am takin on the hobby of running. It's full of useful tips in a much more enjoyable way than browsing blogs and reading websites. Also it is very motivational. It was a good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars great!, 26 Jun 2014
Even though I don't have boobs or periods there was a lot I could relate to and lots to enjoy. Useful and entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and true to life, 25 Jun 2014
SJ KAY "S. Kay" (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
Alexandra Heminsley, has managed to write a book about running....for non / aspiring runners. I was a complete non-runner, and had no interest in it until I got signed up to do a 10k...then something happened and I found I was actually enjoying it! This book perfectly captures the fear, pain, pride etc that accompanies that journey, whilst being really inspiring. I'll be reading this over again I think!

Running Like a Girl
Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley (Paperback - 16 Jan 2014)
6.29