5.0 out of 5 stars More than a book - a friend.
Published on 26 April 2001 by Colin Shepherd

2.0 out of 5 stars For hardcore fans only
Published 7 months ago by nigeyb

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a book - a friend., 26 April 2001
I first read this book a few years ago and though I enjoyed it wasn't moved by it. A couple of years later on my first trip to Paris I decided to take the book with me. Somehow the book took on a new life. I could visit the locations described and appreciate the descriptions of people and events. I fell in love with Paris, Hemingway and the Lost Generation all because of this book. I now have quite a collection of books describing the 1920s and 1930s in Paris and have bought a prized first edition of this book. I strongly recommend this book to readers particularly those visiting Paris. Five Stars because there are only five.

4.0 out of 5 stars croissants and angels!, 27 Sep 2003
This review is from: A Moveable Feast (Paperback)
I sought this book after I had watched the film, City of Angels with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan. If an angel was enthralled by Hemingway's Moveable Feast then I thought it must be good. He wasn't wrong! The descriptive language subsumes your imagination - a truly excellent work from a sagacious author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hemingway's Way, 2 Jun 2011
G. M. Sinstadt - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The introduction makes clear that this is a collection of chapters/sketches relating to Ernest Hemingway's time in Paris between the wars. Chronology is at best variable; arranging the order seems to have been somewhat arbitary. What emerges is a multi-layered portrait of a city at an interesting period of artistic life; of a few famous people who lived there; and of a marriage that progresses from tranquil happiness to disintegration. Hadley, the author's first wife, is the victim; much of the book reads like a remorseful apology for his part in the failure.

The incidental recreation of Paris in the 1920's - the cafés, the race tracks, the apartment above the sawmill where the Hemingways lived - yields some vivid vignettes. The goatherd driving his goats through the street, pausing to milk one for a customer, calls for a readjustment of one's Parisian preconceptions.

Of the people, there are insights into Gertrud Stein, James Joyce, Ezra Pound and especially Scott Fitgerald. The boxer Larry Gains appears and, with him, the macho Hemingway, showing off what he knows about the fight game. There is also the sentimental Tatie - the dialogue that accompanies his hair-growing contest with Hadley is almost too embarrassing to read.

But through it all there is Hemingway wrestling with the business of writing, frequently returning to the conviction that what is left out reinforces what remains - a philosophy that can be seen in some of the better sketches. Of course, the book is uneven but as the long sentences unroll, held together with multiple conjunctions and a minimum of punctuation, the master's hand is apparent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loss anchors this masterpiece in place and time., 10 May 1997
By A Customer
There are three perfect little books in 20th century English literature: The Good Soldier, by Ford, The Moviegoer, by Percy, and this sparse narrative written in Hemingway's familiar and still powerful limpid prose. There are descriptions here of many literary figures in Paris during the twenties and the famous cuts at Ford and Fitzgerald, but these are not reasons to read this book. You read this book to hear Hemingway speak to you with his guard down, as you cannot otherwise hear him except in the early Nick Adams stories. He is sitting at his typewriter in Ketchum, his great gifts chased from him by alcohol and hubris, and he remembers when he still had it, when he was poor and cold and hungry and he had Hadley, before he became Hemingway, and he types slow, each word pulled from the emptiness to become the next inevitable perfect word, and his words are the shroud over his loss, his bitterness, his grievous fault. This book was not published in Hemingway's lifetime. It was not written for us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moveable fFeast, 30 May 2012
This is so much better than 'The Sun Also Rises' which I found irritating and self centred/indulgent. Hemmingway is not my favourite character and the 'set' he belonged to are revolting, but in this book he actually comes across as reasonably human. I don't actually think he was a brilliant writer; he repeats himself frequently and has a tendency to ramble on, but I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand, or know more about, Hemmingway himself. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Enchanting, 27 Jun 1999
This review is from: A Moveable Feast (Paperback)
Hemingway was reunited with the manuscript of A MOVEABLE FEAST after a twenty-year separation; as an older man, he was amazed and amused by the writings of his younger self. Many consider his Paris period to be his most interesting -- this book suggests that's true. Its a lovely, nostalgic look back at his youth. His love for Hadley is evident -- both the young Hemingway's love and the longing of the older Papa. For anyone who is interested in the ex-pats, the lost generation, Gertrude and F. Scott, etc. -- this is a must. His wording is magical, the anecdotes priceless. Of all his books, this is my favorite!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intimate legacy, 18 Mar 2010
Mr. P. G. Mccarthy (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Memory can be unreliable, and it would be too fussy to criticize Hem's memoirs over little inaccuracies. This book is in fact a brutally honest legacy and incredibly intimate. It is amazing to think that almost forty years elapsed between the events described and their being written. The real impact of the book is that it makes you feel you've made a close friendship with the author. It creates longings in you; we would love to have lived in Paris at that time and to have encountered all those artists (Joyce, Pound, Pascin). The attention to detail brings it to life; you feel that you can hear the woodpigeons and smell the pastries.

Hemingway operates at the level of `feeling'. He says much about his likes and dislikes, his addiction to gambling, his lack of confidence and his efforts to like even the most unlike-able characters (most especially Ford Maddox Ford). Hemingway has left the world a genuinely valuable legacy with these snapshots of 1920s Paris life and it is a book you'll want to read again and again.

2.0 out of 5 stars For hardcore fans only, 13 Jan 2014
Published posthumously in 1964, and edited from his manuscripts and notes by his widow and fourth wife, Mary Hemingway, and then revised by his grandson Seán Hemingway, "A Moveable Feast" is a memoir by Ernest Hemingway about his years in Paris as part of a group of expatriate writers in the 1920s. The book includes references to, or meetings with, Gertrude Stein, Ford Madox Ford, Aleister Crowley, Ezra Pound, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Sylvia Beach, James Joyce amongst others, and details of how his first marriage deteriorated.

There are a surprisingly high number of very positive reviews and ratings for this book. I say surprisingly because, if you are interested in the names and locations of bars, cafés and hotels in Paris, and the locations where Ernest Hemingway's friends and acquaintances lived, along with plenty of inconsequential dialogue and tedious detail then you're in luck. You will probably find much to love in this book - and, as I state, plenty of readers appear to find this content very agreeable. To me, it read like a rather boring diary of someone who got progressively more tedious and objectionable the more I read. Was Ernest Hemingway really a crashing bore? Was he generally mean spirited about people who seem to regard him as a friend? I don't really care, however this is the strong impression I came away with having read this memoir.

I have only read one other book by Ernest Hemingway - "For Whom the Bell Tolls". It was much better that this. Much better. That's not to say it was wonderful but it was interesting and compelling and well worth reading if you are interested in The Spanish Civil War. "A Moveable Feast", however, is really just very dull, unless you happen to be interested in the minutiae of Ernest Hemingway's day-to-day life in Paris in the 1920s.

There's a fascinating book to be written about this era in Paris - this is not it. For hardcore fans only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two orders of Cafe Creme in Paris with Hemingway, 6 Dec 1998
This review is from: A Moveable Feast (Paperback)
SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL. After this novel, I would do anything to be able to have a coffee with Hemingway and his expatriates at the Closerie de Lillas cafe. The most astounding part is that this novel is TRUTH, maybe colored with nostalgia but are amazingly touching portraits of some of the greatest literary giants of the century. When I put the novel down, I felt like I KNEW Hemingway. There were so many times he would make me laugh out loud or sigh with regret! I've read a great deal of his more reknown novels, but this novel is tied for my favorite novel of his along with Farewell to Arms. It's inconcievable that such extraordinarily talented people collected in a few Parisian cafes in a few years, and they were all acquaintences. What an idea! His stories of F.Scott Fitzgerald were especially illuminating and hilarious, but my favorites were: Ford Madox Ford & the Devil's Disciple, Birth of a New School ( especially funny ), With Pascin at the Dome, & Ezra Pound and the Bel Esprit. Hemingway's wit and sarcasm are so real, they leap off the pages and he seems to be engaging you in conversation. This novel really opened up my eyes to my perspective of Hemingway, most of his novels are stories that are semi-autobiographical so we have to decipher truth from plot. There is no need to figure out what is Hemingway--because it is ALL Hemingway!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I Speak Volumes, 28 Mar 1997
This review is from: A Moveable Feast (Paperback)
To live and die and breath at sixteen swallowing the whole of Hemingway's writing is walking on a field of grass--dark brown and burned. Having spent my life the elaborate conformer of elaborate sentences elaborate in structured elaborance, yet knowing just the same that clarity is compassioned understanding, I look at Hem as a part of me. A Moveable Feast has changed me in a way unlike any book--at least since On the Road, which turned previously unrampent bohemianism deep within me into rampant deepness previously unbohemian. It opened up the world of Joyce and Stein, introduced me to Picabo and Duchamp, and made me view my dusty copy of Marx and the Existentialists as suitable reading for Montparnasse. When Hemingway speaks he opens up a new world for me, and I breathe air knowing and feeling all he says. This compact, simple language speaks a volume it took years to understand, until I could finally comprehend that his writing is his being, and A Moveable Feast is nothing more than existence, which is perhaps all anything could ever be.

A Moveable Feast: The Restored Edition
A Moveable Feast: The Restored Edition by Ernest Hemingway (Paperback - 2 Jun 2011)
5.24