Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 17 February 2011
James Patterson's "Quick Read" is just that. At just over 1,800 locations (about 155 pages) it doesn't take long to fly through at all. But the lack of quantity doesn't take away any of the quality as this was an excellent little read.

It's written solely by Patterson and you can tell. It is fast-paced, sharply written, has some great characters with a truly ruthless and very clever killer, the tension is high throughout, there's lots of gore and it will keep you guessing until the end. Best of all - it is all set in London.

It reminded me a lot of some of his earlier books (before the days of the Patterson brand with all the co-authors) such as Hide and Seek,Black Friday or Season of the Machete, so I'd highly recommend it, especially to long-time Patterson fans who miss his older, more grittier style books.
11 comment111 of 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2011
James Patterson well the name says it all, i just love his books so maybe i a just a little bias anyway yes it is well worth the read i would say buy yourself a copy and see for yourself. A+
on 27 May 2011
Firstly I would like to say that I have never read a James Patterson book. I do enjoy reading and am a keen reader. I downloaded this book as it sounded interesting and it was a 'quick read' and I'm glad I did. I was hooked from the start, it was fast-paced, well written and kept me interested throughout. I read this within an hour and I am now looking into other books from this author. If you are looking for a short, fast-paced, packed quick read, then I suggest downloading this book.
on 18 June 2011
Have always loved James Patterson and this quick read was well worth it, very enjoyable as all his books are.
on 14 April 2011
The one thing that most impressed me is that Patterson used "British-isms" throughout the book. He obviously knows or spends a lot of time in the UK - either that or he's got a good editor!

Not one of his best offerings but I'd like to read more "whodunits" from him. Its good to see Patterson writing on his own again.
on 9 August 2012
What I love about a good short story is that you get thrown straight into the action. There is no time wasted in long-winded character introductions or detailed description of places as they are not really relevant. In Bloody Valentine, by page thirty the murder will have been so crimson your stomach will turn and there will be so many suspects you will not know where to look first. Patterson also gives just enough detail so that you are angry at the murderer's cruelty and wants him/her caught.

The only fault I can pin point in any Patterson novel I have read, independent of its size, is that he works to a formula. I know, I know! It is a little hard not to have a formula on a "whodunit" novel, but Patterson tends to stick to the same details: a wealthy group of people, a working class detective, a relationship based on lust for money, a relationship based on love, deception, sex, etc, etc... After awhile, all his books start sounding the same.

Having said that, I cannot ignore the fact the man is a genius at rubbing the killer right under your nose throughout the story and at the end you are still surprised it is who it is. He always manages to make their innocence so believable that you do not even consider them as a suspect until the one detail you have not thought about becomes the missing piece right at the very end. Then you have the whole unveiling of the culprit in front of everyone. The End.

In this case, this is literally what happened and I was left a little a lost to how fast the confession came from the murderer's lips, if you bear in mind this is someone who plotted such a cruel and detailed crime. You would think they would at least try to talk their way out of if! That seems to be the shortcoming of short stories, tough: a climax that lasts shorter than your Pot Noodle warm up in the microwave. Apart from that, I really enjoyed this thriller and if you are a murder mystery lover, you will love this one.
on 8 February 2012
It was really good, couldn't put it down even when I got home. It's only 122 pages but it was short and sweet and really took me into the books reality, it was helpful that it was set in London thou as it's where I live. The book was called Bloody Valentine it's a murder thriller by James Patterson it was only £1.99 on Amazon so you can't really go wrong if you end up disliking it but I don't see why you would as I've always found it hard to "get into" books but this one was no problem by page 20 I was intrigued on what was going to happen and how the ending is going to play out. it kept me guessing on who the murderer was until the final few pages.
on 24 February 2011
This is a true return to form for James Patterson. "Bloody Valentine" is a smart page turner with the sort of tight plot, detailed characters and grisly murder mystery that reminds us why we liked him in the first place. I can't recommend it too highly.
0Comment22 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2012
Another brilliant book from James Patterson. Once again he has captured the imagination with highs and lows and at times needing to put the book down to regroup before the next chapter.
on 21 March 2012
At long last, a solo effort after all the collaborative books he's put out. Some of his recent stuff has been below par, a bit rushed, but this one's well worth the read. I genuinely couldn't guess the outcome, but like a lot of his books I wish it had been a bit longer - there didn't seem to be that much of a difference between a 'Quick Read' and his normal word count. That layout of his, with 2 page chapters, and everything very spread out means that you can zip through his books at very high speed.

Anyway it's good news to see him back on form, even if it is with short ones like this. Any Patterson fans will probably also enjoy another book I've just finished - the latest by Ian Okell called 'Charlie Chaplins Uncle'.
Charlie Chaplin's Uncle