5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking
Published on 6 Jan 2011 by Wanderluster

3.0 out of 5 stars a hustle here...
Liz Murray is a capable writer and her powers of description brought some of the people in her book vividly to life in this disturbing story of a dysfunctional Bronx childhood, which in places seems strangely sanitised.

I have to say that overall her account sits uncomfortably with me. She goes from one extreme to another, that is, from extreme poverty and...
Published on 19 Jun 2012 by thetruthshallsetyefree

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 6 Jan 2011
I will never be able to look at New York City the same way again after reading this story. Liz Murray is such a brave young woman for being able to share the horrific experiences of growing up with drug addicted parents in the Bronx. I cried a lot through this book and often felt physically sick, but now I feel I understand so much more about poverty and our society. Please read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read this year, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Breaking Night (Kindle Edition)
Heartbreaking and uplifting. I cried so many times througout this book. No child should ever have to experience this poverty aand deprivation. Thank goodness the schools now exist to enable these children to fulfill themselves finally. Thank you Liz for educating us to the horrors of poverty and the possible ways to climb out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 14 Dec 2010
Book was an inspiration and makes one appreciate that the grumbles of our day to day life
are absolutely nothing compared with the lives of others. Author lifted herself up by the
bootstraps and not much else and her reward is to live well and help others. It is extremely
well written if the picture of her life sometimes is even too graphic and upsetting to read.
But setting that against her actually living through it all, we, in our armchairs can give thanks!
Very well worth reading and I would give it to every stroppy protesting teenager you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Night, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Breaking Night (Paperback)
Totally gripping story. So good I bought another as a gift
A real lesson for whingers and moaners to motivate themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's one of those books!!!, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Breaking Night (Hardcover)
Be prepared, Breaking Night is one of those books you cannot put down. It is fascinating to read a young woman's story from such an early age. Your heart breaks when you read about role reversal for children who live in such dreadful situations where drugs take over. You learn how much a child loves a parent who is so needy. As you read you become more and more desperate for things to turn out in the best way for the child. You wonder what could possibly transpire to ever get a good outcome. The book leaves me feeling much more understanding of the illness that befalls so many families the whole world over. A book to be shared!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a victim, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Breaking Night (Hardcover)
I ordered this book after hearing Liz Murray interviewed on BBC Radio 4. I was impressed and moved in hearing that, although severily neglected by her parents, she did not cultivate victimhood, but concentrated on her love for then and her faith in their love for her. The book confirmed this first impression and added layers of experience and angles of perspective. All in all an inspiring read, to which I award one star less than the max. only because I believe that there is a second part to this story, which I expect to see in print in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life turned around !!!!, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Breaking Night (Hardcover)
After seeing an interview with the author on television I bought the book.Such an amazing story of how a young person pulled herself out of poverty and turned her life around.Such a good read ,even more so when you know it is a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Night, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Breaking Night (Kindle Edition)
Well written book and most absorbing. An auto biography giving a true insight into the lives of children born to drug addicts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Superb., 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Breaking Night (Kindle Edition)
I just admire what the author went through and came out of. I could identify with parts in the book, but not to the extent of being homeless and going so hungry. I don't think I would have managed so well. Some pages I found too upsetting to read, the drugs being drawn up etc, no experience of , it just sounds horrendous. All I can say is well done Liz Murray and thankyou for sharing a part of you and your "family's" life so openly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book to give a teenager, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Breaking Night (Hardcover)
Read the reviews for this book (in a women's magazine) and was pleasantly surprised once I read it as, it isn't the type of book I usually go for.

It's content is a cautionary tale of how drugs can destroy a family and how, despite suffering the worst childhood, success can be achieved. This remarkable teenager is proof that the apple doesn't necessarily have to fall close to the tree, it can make up its own mind and have a more rewarding and morally sound life.

To the author, I thank you for sharing your story with us.

I wish her and her sister all the best in their endeavours. I have given a copy to the younger generation of my family so that they can read it and learn.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Breaking Night
Breaking Night by Liz Murray (Paperback - 15 Sep 2011)
5.59