Format: Paperback|Change

This novelization of the film of the same name The Resident [DVD] may look exciting, but it isn't really. I have never seen the film, and after reading the book I have no plans to do so. As most people are aware film novelizations are not always quite the same as the actual film, an author has to move things around and add things to keep the narrative going, plus also scenes that an author puts in which were going to be in the movie are eventually edited out.

When Juliet Devereau accidentally walks in on her husband doing the dirty they split, and Juliet goes on the hunt for a home in the city (New York). Eventually finding somewhere, that is spacious and cheap it seems that Juliet has definitely landed on her feet. But are things quite what they seem?, after all she does often feel that she is being watched.

This book is well enough written but it lacks oomph. The largest part of the story is about Juliet, her house hunting, her work and her break up. There are a few slightly creepy scenes, but there isn't a feeling of a thriller, or of any suspense. In fact there is probably only fifty or sixty pages of some real action, and as this is taken from a movie script what is action is so old and hackneyed that we have seen it all before, in so many other films. This is okay for something just to sit down with and pass the time, but there is nothing here to grab you, unless I suppose you really enjoy the film. To most people I would say look around for something better.
on 2 May 2011
The strapline on the reverse cover of the book is what originally drew me to it:

"Every year, three million single women in America move into an apartment for the first time. Few of them change the locks".

Slightly chilled by this, i thought i'd pick the book up and give it a try.

Main character, Juliet Devereau has discovered her husbands infidelity, she needs to get away from her house, and find her own apartment, though it's proving very difficult to find anywhere remotely decent, that is until she stumbles across a beautiful, spacious apartment overlooking Brooklyn Bridge.

After moving in, and over the coming weeks, Juliet can't quite put her finger on it, but she feels almost stalked. Sounds wake her in the middle of the night, and whilst in the bath, she feels like she is being watched. Is it all her imagination, or is she about to be caught up in a game of cat and mouse that could prove deadly?

I read this book in one day. Whilst i wouldn't class it as a horror, more of a suspense-thriller really, it is a good, easy read. It's fast paced, and whilst in places, i thought the author could have made the book an extra 50 or so pages longer, by setting the scenes out more, it did it's purpose and whiled away a lazy bank holiday Monday.

This book would be a perfect holiday read, as it's one you can pick up and put down easily. I'll also keep an eye out for the film.
on 4 November 2012
I thought this book was really great and quite gripping while reading it, until I got to the end. It just seemed as though the characters were running around in a circle after each other. It was really dragged out and I just wished they'd have not wasted my time with the extra pages of not a lot happening.
After finishing the book and looking back I feel disappointed, as not a lot really happened.
It is worth a read, but prepare to feel slightly let down.
on 15 July 2012
I'm less than 20 pages in and given the clunking, leaden writing I doubt I'll be seeing the end
The heroine comes home unexpectedly and finds her husband with another women and her reaction is to say "it's adultery Jack"
Well, yes it is but I can't imagine in a million years that that would be any one's actual response to that situation.
The warning signs were there on page 7 when she describes a character as having "chuckled"
on 2 May 2011
I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was going to be a horror with lots of gore but was more of a thriller so more enjoyable. I am looking forward to the film. A great read.
on 2 January 2013
I love this book ! I couldn't put it down for 3 days ... the entire book captures the best bits of the imagination and leaves you wanting more. The descriptive detail really allows you to see things through the characters eyes and really lets you picture what is happening. I let a friend borrow it and never got it back as she reads it over and over again so have had to buy myself a replacement !
on 20 October 2013
I loved this psychological thriller from Francis Cottam. So very different from his more recent works as F.G. Cottam, but still causes goosebumps to rise. I was hooked from page one and had it read in one sitting. A thrilling read.
on 16 October 2011
I loved this creepy story. The author wastes no time in pulling the reader into the plot which just keeps deepening page after page. First off Max is endearing and pulls on the heartstrings, but that all changes when Juliet has second thoughts about her marriage to author Jack. If you like a creepy thriller with a capital C this read is a must. 5 star rating off me.....well deserved!
on 5 March 2014
I imagine the film might be better than the book.
I may try the film if it's on television.
got to the end - but would not recommend.
on 23 February 2014
If you like a creepy tale with lots of twists to keep you turning pages - this is the book for you. Believable and enjoyable.