Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 September 2012
Anyone who is a Shaun Hutson fan and also a fan of Hammer Horror films cannot fail to enjoy this book - a rewite of an original story from the early days of Hammer Horror films, set in present day. I read this in 2 sittings as it was such a good story. If you've not tried any of his books yet, give this one a try - you won't be dissapointed.
on 30 March 2013
Having read Hutson for over twenty years its hard for me to be so harsh but the author only has himself to blame. This is without a doubt one of the worst books I have read in many years.

There is none of Hutson's usual flair for visual horror, the story is very weak and the modern update only adds to the misery.

An unnecessary novel for Hutson to write and I can only assume that he has either run out of his own original ideas (which were once so great) or that Hammer paid him a shed-load to write this dross.

For fans of Hutson's excellent fiction: AVOID. For newcomers: AVOID.

I only hope that Hutson rediscovers his form
on 4 March 2016
good book
on 3 February 2013
Another one added to the collection. Thanks again! I personally have a problem with this auther but my partner likes him and has the whole collection.
on 30 October 2012
Real page turner, classic story with a Shaun Hutson take on things. Never been disapointed with anything he's written, can't wait for the next one.
on 22 March 2013
Shaun is a good writer, but attention to more detail would be good. Always an easy read & the need to get to the end makes me come back for more.
on 4 March 2013
Straightforward monster story, well written but lacking a bit of depth to the plot. No surprises just blood and guts.
on 6 February 2013
Enjoyed this book not as grusome has his usual stuff will be not reading anymore unless they are not so vivied.
on 1 August 2013
Found this slow going. Didn't read to the end as its too slow for me. Definitely not a page turner.
on 7 May 2013
This reads like a classic Shaun Hutson novel that stands on its own feet. Lots of layers and characterisation building up to the climax, and lots of familiar phraseology too i.e knawings of headaches at base of skull, wincing when drinking cold coffee etc although I did miss "the coppery odour of blood" and the "smell of cordite" ("o)
I wasn't familiar with the original story so can't comment on other reviewers' concerns. I realise that the story had to remain true to that, so my only minor criticisms were that I thought the pregnant girl would have either been saved by the creature or had the cancers removed from her foetus. I also think that a true Shaun novel may have ended with a twist, letting the reader know that it wasn't necessarily the end...

X The Unknown