4.0 out of 5 stars Great atmospheric horror
Great read. Vintage in its style. The army, nuclear scientists and some ancient horror out in the countryside. Feel of the Quatermass films and books. Good read.
Published 23 months ago by Mr. P. J. Gosden

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly lacking
Part of the problem when you bring a book up to date from an earlier time is that the things that scared the viewer back then is something that can be quite tame by todays standard. Such is the case with this adaptation of the Hammer 1956 film X: The Unknown where radiation is the fear of the day.

Sadly by bringing it forward to today's setting a lot of what...
Published on 16 Aug 2012 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable SF/horror novel, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: X The Unknown (Paperback)
I received a review copy of this book from the publisher.

Like many of us, I'm a bit of a purist regarding adaptations of classic works, so the fact that Shaun Hutson chose(actually, this decision was the publisher's, not Hutson's)to bring this adaptation forward to the present day and relocate it a long way south of the events of the original 1956 film filled me with no little trepidation.

Having said that, I hadn't seen the movie for a very long time--probably sometime back in the late 60s--so I decided to watch it again first, so I could more easily see what changes had been made.
I'm pleased to report that the alterations actually work very well and, in hindsight, the book hangs together rather better than the original.

Freed from the constraints of the film board censorship, Hutson is able to be more realistic with the dialogue of the soldiers. He neatly adds material and characters which give more weight to the events of the film, without sacrificing anything. There are only two major changes, other than period and location. The first is in making the lead character somewhat younger than in the original, which I found perfectly logical. The second is right at the end, where he has Royston realise that his original plan for destroying the entity was simply not going to work and comes up with a better and more believable one.

I'd always thought the "monster" to be vaguely Lovecraftian in concept, and it's evident that Hutson agreed, as he ends the book on a quote from the master himself.

To some extent, I regretted my decision to view the original movie version first, as it rather took all the suspense out of reading what turned out to be a very enjoyable SF/horror novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novelization?, 18 July 2012
This review is from: X The Unknown (Paperback)
I knew going in that this was going to be an updated version of one of my favorite movies. However, it was also by one of my favorite authors, so I was willing to give it a chance.

I liked it. He added some stuff in that may have not been necessary, but overall it was a solid read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless and Unrewarding, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: X The Unknown (Kindle Edition)
Having read Hutson for over twenty years its hard for me to be so harsh but the author only has himself to blame. This is without a doubt one of the worst books I have read in many years.

There is none of Hutson's usual flair for visual horror, the story is very weak and the modern update only adds to the misery.

An unnecessary novel for Hutson to write and I can only assume that he has either run out of his own original ideas (which were once so great) or that Hammer paid him a shed-load to write this dross.

For fans of Hutson's excellent fiction: AVOID. For newcomers: AVOID.

I only hope that Hutson rediscovers his form

1.0 out of 5 stars A real shame...., 18 July 2012
This review is from: X The Unknown (Paperback)
When I first heard that Shaun Hutson was writing the novelisation of 'X-The Unknown' I was actually very excited.
I'd only seen the film on DVD a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. A classic 50's Hammer Sci-Fi monster movie with plenty of Cold War paranoia, excitement, great characters and plenty that could be expanded upon in a novel to increase the viewing pleasure of the film's fans... including Mr Hutson I believe...

Imagine my surprise (and disgust) to find that the story had been updated (or 'reimagined' in todays Hollywood terminology used in order to justify producing bad remakes of classic films) and that the character of Dr Royston had been savaged as to be totaly unrecognisable to that of the man portrayed on screen by Dean Jagger.

The whole modern setting fails miserably compared to that of the 1950's where this story belongs... It just dosen't work at all in my opinion. In the 50's they didn't have to rely on modern weapons and technology to defeat the creature... they used their intelligence and the limited resources at their disposal in order neautralise the threat to Great Britain, happening so soon after the horrors of World War 2 and the beginning of the Cold War and the War in Korea. The modern 'War on Terror' just dosen't fit with the context of the story... Sometimes I just couldn't believe what I was reading and kept wondering if this was the same author who wrote the excellent 'Twins of Evil' in the same series?

To say this 'novel' was a disappointement to me as a fan of 'X-The Unknown' is an understatement. I believe that it is an insult to the film, to those who made it and to the Hammer Fans who had been looking forward to a good novelisiation OF THE FILM, not some re-imagined nonsense that might just as well be a different story altogether...

Shaun Hutson has wasted a great opportunity to produce a first class novelisation.

To justify the money I spent on this rubbish I use it as a door-stop so that at least it can be of some practical use...

And by the way Mr Hutson, the pilot of a Bf 109E during the Battle of Britain wouldn't 'eject' he'd 'bail out'...

So all I can say to all the real Hammer fans out there is avoid this one at all costs... a stinker!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: X The Unknown (Kindle Edition)
Found this slow going. Didn't read to the end as its too slow for me. Definitely not a page turner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as ever, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: X The Unknown (Kindle Edition)
Shaun is a good writer, but attention to more detail would be good. Always an easy read & the need to get to the end makes me come back for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: X The Unknown (Kindle Edition)
Straightforward monster story, well written but lacking a bit of depth to the plot. No surprises just blood and guts.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than his usual ., 6 Feb 2013
Mrs. E. Harrop "Cat Mad" (Lake District) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X The Unknown (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book not as grusome has his usual stuff will be not reading anymore unless they are not so vivied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: X The Unknown (Paperback)
Another one added to the collection. Thanks again! I personally have a problem with this auther but my partner likes him and has the whole collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars shaun hutson puts his mark on a classic, 30 Oct 2012
Ms. K. Crawford (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X The Unknown (Paperback)
Real page turner, classic story with a Shaun Hutson take on things. Never been disapointed with anything he's written, can't wait for the next one.

X The Unknown
X The Unknown by Shaun Hutson (Paperback - 5 July 2012)