5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!
I am a massive fan of Fannie Flagg and have read and enjoyed every one of her novels, always with the anxiety that the next will be her 'blooper'... Her latest, I am ecstatic to report, is no 'blooper'...
Published on 19 Nov 2010 by LittleReader

If this book was by an unknown author it would never have been published. It lacks charm, humour, plot or any depth - the literary equivalent of a Pot Noodle - nothing authentic in this 'product'. Don't waste money buying it, or time reading it. Truly awful.
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by Banjo Cat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, 19 Nov 2010
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Maggie, an ex Alabama beauty queen and now a disillusioned estate agent in an increasingly hostile environment, dreams of ending it all and has a plan to do just that. Her life has not become what she imagined it would be. Fortunately, fate has other ideas and Maggie is shown time and again the importance of her life and her friends. Told in FF's trademark style - an abundance of whimsy, lots of wit and an old fashioned Southern charm (I find myself reading it with a 'Southern' acccent in my head...)that is hugely addictive, I could not put this book down!
Maggie learns life's lessons from her friends - Hazel (her ghost of the past), Brenda (her rock and confidante) and a blast from her past by the name of Charles. It is, however, also a lesson to be learned by us all - cherish what you do have and not dwell on what you don't! Hugely recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fannie Flagg Does It Again, 16 Nov 2010
"Fried Green Tomatoes" is one of my favourite movies and I was really looking forward to "I Still Dream About You". Considering my high expectations, it is something of a miracle that this book did not disappoint me at all.

The main character Maggie Fortenberry is a former Miss Alabama beauty queen whose main concern is not being a nuisance to others and not bringing any shame on the state of Alabama. But how can such a person "leave", as Maggie calls commiting suicide? Maggie's life did not turn out the way she had hoped it would and at age 60 she is tired of working as an estate agent in an increasingly hostile and badly mannered environment. She feels lonely and rejected, believing all others are leading happy lives. So now she is meticulously planning her suicide, trying very hard to leave no obligations behind for her friends.

At the hands of Fannie Flagg this possibly depressing storyline turns into a delightful novel, thanks to the quirky characters, the unexpected twists and turns and the amusing insights into Maggie's mind and that of her friends.

A wonderful story about getting old, about dreams lost and dreams coming true, about the value of true friendship and how important it is to be yourself. A book that made me laugh and cry!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE INCOMPARABLE FANNIE FLAGG DOES IT AGAIN!, 30 Dec 2010
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The irrepressible Fannie Flagg won us with such mirth making, affecting stories as Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Café and Welcome To The world, Baby Girl!, now she reminds us of how much we enjoy her in I STILL DREAM ABOUT YOU.

Her latest, a comic/mystery, takes place in Flagg's hometown, Birmingham, Alabama, and centers on Maggie Fortenberry. Now, most would think Maggie had it all - she's a former Miss Alabama, a successful real estate agent at Red Mountain Realty, and has a covey of close friends. At least that's the way it appears - truth is Maggie is seriously depressed because life has not turned out at all the way she planned. She has always dreamed of living in one of the beautiful mansions on top of Red Mountain, cohabiting with a husband who worshiped her and having 2.5 children. Asif that weren't enough, her business is going down the drain thanks to the machinations of Babs "The Beast of Birmingham" Bingington, a double-dealing rival realtor. What had happened to Maggie's dream?

It's all just too much for Maggie to bear to she decides to leave (literally) and pens a suicide note (she does not sign it with the smiley-face that usually accompanies her missives). In the midst of composting this note her friend, Brenda Peoples, calls with the exciting news that the Whirling Dervishes are coming to town for one night only and she has two free tickets. Yes, the real Dervishes from Turkey have been booked at the Alabama Theatre because "The chanting Monks from China or Tibet or somewhere had to cancel."

Brenda insists that Maggie is going with her; she won't take no for an answer. Being a loyal friend Maggie decides that's the least she can do for Brenda, so she simply changes the date on her suicide note.

That's not the only change that takes place because Maggie miraculously comes up with a plan, the "perfect plan" to solve all of her problems.

Only Fannie Flagg could have written the wise. wonderful, hilarious I STILL DREAM ABOUT YOU, and I'm so glad she did.

- Gail Cooke

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable that this was by the same author as Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe!, 22 Feb 2012
Banjo Cat (Camberley, Surrey UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars I still dream about you - Fannie Flagg, 13 Dec 2010
I was really disappointed in this book. I love Fannie's books, finding them a delightful combination of quirkiness, observation and humour. This one, however, was nowhere near Fannie's usual standards. It read as though it had been hastily written over a couple of weeks, the plot was risible and the ending, well, naff. Let's hope for another "Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man" next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Snoozefest, 15 Jan 2011
I have read many a Fanny Flag book..well two others and loved the whole vibe and feel of each one of them.They were colourful and full of the quirks and folklore of such a rich state.
"I still dream of you" bored me senseless,I did not gel with the main character and hope that she would kill herself just to, maybe,spice things up a tad.The characters were just that characters that just went through the motions of this story. I don't recommend this book...unless as a means to fall asleep at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, as always., 15 Jun 2014
There is nothing new that I can say about this. You always know what you will get with this author. This is a typically uplifting tale of strong women who always 'come through' in the end. This is one of the better ones and a 'must' for every fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something?, 8 May 2014
makeupmad (bucks, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Still Dream About You (Paperback)
This was my first Fannie Flagg, and it might must well be my last!! Just didn't know how to take it - is it meant to be funny ? Is it meant to be insightful? The main character was not rounded enough for the reader to have any empathy with her, and as for her rival, Babs, I found myself scoffing with (humourless) laughter. The back story was a missed opportunity IMHO, what a waste of what could have been fascinating.
I did finish it, but it is not going back on my bookshelf. Sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fannie Flagg'S BOOKS.., 27 April 2014
This review is from: I Still Dream About You (Paperback)
Fannie Flag at her best wonderful story.Ilove her stories and she makes me laugh and cry brillant book.Her storytelling is wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable light read, 26 April 2014
This review is from: I Still Dream About You (Paperback)
Easy good read and full of humour, but odd choice of title for the story? Not as enjoyable as the excellent Green Fried tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I Still Dream About You
I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)
5.59