4.0 out of 5 stars Dan Brown with a supernatural twist!
I bought this because I liked the sound of the story, I was expecting another Dan Brown type novel and whilst there are some similarities in plot, this book has a very different style. Mixed into the extensively researched factual side is some fantastical elements. Discard what you believe and accept the fantasy as it's a great adventure.
There are two stories, one...
Published on 22 Aug. 2011 by Sugarboo

2.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!
This is definitely a step up from Dan Brown as the writing is better and the narrative flows smoothly describing a much more intricate plot. Even the wholly unbelievable nature of the story is imaginatively done and it's nice to read about a different Renaissance artist, Cellini, instead of the usual reworkings regarding Leonardo.

However the lack of care about...
Published on 11 Sept. 2011 by Book Worm

4.0 out of 5 stars Dan Brown with a supernatural twist!, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Kindle Edition)
There are two stories, one past and one present which are connected by the Medusa amulet. The story begins in Chicago, David Franco a literary scholar is approached by a mysterious, rich widow and asked to track down the Medusa amulet, an unheard of treasure from the great Italian artist Cellini. The amulet is said to be able to grant eternal life. David accepts the assignment hoping that the amulet would be able to cure his dying sister. David travels to Florence where he meets Olivia who is to become his assistant and then to Paris. Their search is hindered by those who wish that the amulet stays hidden. Intertwined with David's story is that of Cellini, the creator of the amulet. This story begins in Florence circa 1550 and travels through history to the French Revolution, the second world war and onwards until it connects with the present day story of David.
This novel wasn't what I expected, I was surprised at the two different stories and initially I thought that this made the novel start slowly, a few chapters in and I was entranced by both stories, especially the past. I liked the way the story flitted between past and present and thought that the level of historical and factual information was very impressive and well woven into the story. I felt that in some points the present story was a little weak, there were lots of coincidences and I thought that it lacked some of the tension found in other similar artefact seeking novels and the threats and villains seemed to be too easily dealt with. The combination of the two stories however meant that as a whole the novel was griping and kept me guessing for a while with regards to the twists.
I thought that the characters were well rounded and interesting, David was likeable and sincere and Olivia passionate and strong, together they made a good team and their characters developed together. Cellini was well written and this made me want to read more about him.
Overall I enjoyed this book, not your typical Dan Brown style novel, this book added a supernatural twist which made the book unique and interesting, it is less believable than others in this genre because of this but it is more fun. Definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and different, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
At first I wasn't sure of this book as I'd never heard of the author before and thought it might just be another crappy dan brown copycat but the blurb on the back intrigued me so I thought why not? I'm really glad I got it as it was a wonderful read, something completely different to the artefact hunting books out there. The fact there are 2 intertwined stories makes it unoputdownable as you want to find out what happenned to the amulet through time. Some of it is rather far fetched but if you just accept it for a story then it is thoroughly enjoyable. The only downside is that the bad guys are fairly easily overcome, especially the fianl show down which I think could have had a bit more drama and drawn out a bit more..

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read if you want some sleep!, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down so didn't get much sleep for a couple of days!

This is the first book I have read by Robert Masello and I will now be reading more. I found his style compelling and his use of prose served both to set the scene effectively and generate tension while not being intrusive. (I have read some novels where the writing style just gets in the way for me.)

Another reviewer commented about real world accuracy being a problem - I can see how this might be an issue if you are someone who likes to link stories with the real world context or knows the locations described. However, I enjoy escapist fiction and don't know the locations so it was not a problem for me. From a narrative point of view it seemed sufficiently plausible in terms of locales and
historical characters for a historical novice such as I.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and a compelling read, 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
This book is a great piece of fictional fantasy based around some historic facts. Much better written than Dan Brown's novels and more imaginative. The characters are interesting and the plot unfolds beautifully as the lives of three people come together. I couldn't put this book down once I got past the first couple of chapters. The author has also written episodes of charmed, first edition, sliders and poltergeist the legacy - if you liked any of those series you will love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read to escape from reality, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
Totally agree with the other reviews - if you let yourself get absorbed in the story and just go with it then you will enjoy! It doesn't get 5 stars because I felt like it ended quite suddenly and a little more thought could have been put into that last chapter, but definitely worth reading and could see this being made into a film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the right amount of the supernatural, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Kindle Edition)
The clever thing I found about this story, was that the author kept the supernatural elements to just the right level of detail and frequency that I felt they were always just around the corner but would never quite reveal themselves. The reader is kept half guessing what will happen next to the characters (particularly those of the past), and half realising each time something new comes up how it relates to something else already discussed or shown. A lot of moments of "Oh my god, that was that! Now that's clever."
Even after the climax, I still wanted more answers from the final couple of chapters, which were delivered with a marvellous final twist that even as I write this I feel compelled to go back to the beginning of the book to double check to see if I should have realised earlier.

A fine read, and exactly the right mix of real life setting and time, with fantastical elements that I love in an archaeological/historical thriller such as this.

Secret of the Nexus

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a fictional story!!!, 18 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed this story. Cross between "Indiana Jones" and the books of Dan Brown.So what if some of the info.given isn't 100% correct. I'd rather read a book that check all the details for errors.Buy it and enjoy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down! Loved it!, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
It is 3am and I have just finished this book, what can I say but I loved it. Total fantasy woven around real life characters and events. Well written and really enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, slightly damaged in transit., 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
My son was very pleased with this christmas proesent. However the bottom of the spine and been damaged in the post. However, as it was for christmas i didnt send it back

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Medusa Amulet (Paperback)
really enjoyed the story and history taking you from one time to the next some great foes and heros just ordered blood and ice hope its has good,read

The Medusa Amulet
The Medusa Amulet by Robert Masello (Paperback - 23 Jun. 2011)