5.0 out of 5 stars what you see is not what you get
This is a stand-alone story not in any way connected to the Grant County series - and thank goodness for that! After 'Faithless' I was feeling that Karin Slaughter had run out of steam or that perhaps her characters had! Fortunately, she has tried her hand at another batch of people and it really works.

This is a story not so much filled with twists and turns...
Published on 27 Jun 2006 by Michael Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best.......
I love karin slaughters books and I have yet to read a bad one, however the reason this gets 3 stars is due to some areas of the plot. While it is a good introduction to Grant County and Will Trent, there are a lot of areas which I found unnecessary and too graphic (no I am not easily scared - after all I am a paramedic!) to digest. I did find this hard to get into and...
Published on 5 July 2012 by Ilovebooks

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Variable in places, terrible in others, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
First, in order to be fair, it is worth exploring some of the books good points. The writing style is pretty lucid and reads at a good pace which means that as a reader you do not suffer from boredom. The first section of the book has an interesting plot with some pretty decent development of a good, yet flawed, Atalanta PD detective. The second section of the book, whilst putting the reader out of kilter by focusing on a totally separate story and characters, is also interestingly done with some quasi-psychological insights into the mind of a killer.

Whilst this is not a one star book Triptych is still deeply flawed. The third part of the story just does not piece together in any way. Slaughter tries to bring the two previous sections together but resorts to using cheap ways to link characters. The decision to have three separate sections meant that none of the main characters were developed in any meaningful way. It is hard to care about any of the main, or peripheral, characters and the insights into their motivations are very weak and yet because of the way the plot twists all of your insights turnout to be meaningless anyway.

One of the biggest failures of this book is in relation to its setting of Atlanta. I do not know much about Atlanta and after reading nearly 500 pages of a book set there I am none the wiser. Slaughter claims in her authors note that she "tried to capture the flavor of my city". On this she resolutely failed. If you compare her depiction of Atalanta with that of Boston by Dennis Lehane or DC by George Pelecanos you can really see the flaws in her judgment. However the biggest problem with this book is the ending...it does not make any sense with the killer suddenly dropping his years of careful planning for no apparent reason. A suspension of disbelief is possible but this plot takes the biscuit.

It is clear that, to a degree, Slaughter had a good idea but the delivery on that idea just did not work. When I finished the book I just felt like she had given up. The denouement is so unbelievable that it just beggars belief and leaves a sour taste that she had such little respect for her readers. Please please please save your money and seek out proper contemporary crime fiction as there are a good number currently active today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre and boring......, 6 Oct 2006
L. Mills "li-mel" (Grimsby, NE Lincs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
I have read all Karin's books but I found this extremely hard going and it was a struggle to finish. I only liked one character in the book, I just found the rest of the characters totally unlikeable. I just did not care about them and so therefore there was no tension, as it would not have bothered me if they all died. I worked out the twist very early, and if you are going to read a Karin Slaughter book, I would give this one a miss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 14 Sep 2006
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
I seem to be alone in this but I found this book completely unbelievable - the plot is just ridiculous I won't give away the story line so suffice to say I didn't like it ! I am a fan of Karin Slaughter and I found this one poorly conceived - the only reason it has 2 stars is that it was well written.

I do wonder if it is actually an old manuscript that they have dusted down for publication following her great success with the Grant County books - publishers have done this before !

Anyway it is not for me - sorry Karin but I will read the next Grant County book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 9 Oct 2006
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
I have to say this is one of the best books I have ever read. I like her previous books but I loved this one. The plot is fiesty and makes your brain work - but it is so worth it. She keeps you in suspense all the way through with glimmers of what maybe to come. This will keep you up at night, trying to finish it !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Triptych, karin slaughter, 12 Jan 2010
Sarah Graus (London, UK) - See all my reviews
what can I say, awesome book like all the other books from karin slaughter! If you are into crime and you can handle some brutality than this is the right book for you :)

4.0 out of 5 stars triptch, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Triptych (Mass Market Paperback)
so far so good a big fan of karin slaughter havent had time to finish it yet but i no its going to be good like the rest

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 31 May 2009
Rather a disappointing read in my opinion.I felt that the second half of the book seemed a bit cobbled together and couldn't quite make it's mind up how it was going to continue. The ending was also disppointing and left loose ends. I didn't find it remotely gripping or suspensful like some of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 April 2008
This is one of the best books I have read, and if you have never read a Karin Slaughter book, then I highly recommend that you read this! Had me really turning the pages, absolutley brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet!, 23 Sep 2007
This book has a quite a few of shocks, I almost couldn't wait to get to the end of each chapter! Karin Slaughter is amazing at making you fall for characters, as in her Grant County series with Jeffry!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 24 July 2007
I picked this up one Saturday morning from Tesco's and didn't want to put it down. Yes, I'd guessed the real killer but couldn't find the connection until a couple of paragraphs near the end. Well written and a good read-in fact I logged on to Amazon and bought her other books today.

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1)
Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1) by Karin Slaughter (Paperback - 23 Jun 2011)
3.50