5.0 out of 5 stars Finally
The word "finally" best sums up this book and I won't go too much into the plot because everyone can read the book description above and to add more would spoil it.

Published on 19 July 2011 by D. Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Karin Slaughter - Fallen
Published on 26 July 2011 by molko

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, 19 July 2011
D. Phillips (UK) - See all my reviews

Neadless to stay I read the book in one go ignoring family and the world around me. I loved this book though because for the first time I felt like Karin Slaughter really fused the characters from the Grant series and Atlanta series. I love the realism some of the situations described, they would be exactly like most people would behave... rather than they would like to react. Also this is the first book that I found myself re-reading a couple of weeks after, I just couldn't get enough.

Brilliant story, gripping plot and as always will have you hanging on the edge of your seat... so now it's back to a yearly wait for me until I can delve into the world of Sara, Will, Faith etc. Looking forward to it already.

I originally ordered the paper version but as I was out of the country on holiday I ordered the Kindle book.
Arrived in seconds. Well done to Karin Slaughter and well done to Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's a GENIUS!, 14 July 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book opens up with a dramatic starter as Faith returns to her mother's house and is immediately put in the middle of what looks like a war zone. It makes for some high octane reading very early on. It certainly put me in the frame of mind for the investigation that would follow this crazy situation.

I found that by reading the Will Trent books, I had a feel for the characters Will and Faith, but beyond that there were a lot of unanswered questions. This book seems to address Faith and her history which I liked. The books pace starts kind of frenzied and to be honest doesn't let up much pace at all throughout the book, it almost made me read with a sense of urgency.

The story however does require an element of concentration, there are a lot of theories and characters names very early on meaning you really do need to pay attention to follow these threads all the way through. Sadly the downside to such an intense book is that as readers you are so drawn in you forget your surroundings (never good when you forget to turn the bath off').

As the book gets going we see Will Trent with the help of Sara Linton try to discover who is behind the disappearance of Faith's mother. OF course Will has his doubts about Evelyn, but for the sake of his partner he does everything in his power to find her, even if it means breaking the rules. Will is not the sort of character to break the rules, which is where his boss, and Evelyn's close friend, Amanda Wagner comes into play.

Amanda is a character that is slightly off kilter, but a character that I absolutely adore. She is a no nonsense old school woman that is determined to find her friend, and she doesn't care who she has to lie to or trample on to find her. Sara Linton plays the lesser role in the overall story, but as other parts of the series begin to develop, you can see where she is starting to get her life back together.

Following the end of the Grant County series, I was convinced that there would never be a better male lead that Jeffrey Tolliver. I was so wrong, and if I am being completely honest, a little bit smitten with my `new' favourite male lead Will Trent.

As the story reaches its climax, lots of the parts of the puzzle start to come together. The threads that had been interwoven throughout the book now start to be explained, and the ending was absolutely brilliant.

Yet again I read a fast paced, tense thriller by Karin Slaughter that left me feeling sad I had finished another instalment. Having said that it again has left us as readers with the perfect platform for the next part of the series, and boy do I want to know how that goes. I cannot praise Karin Slaughter highly enough, she is an author that has taken chances, but knew exactly where they were leading, and the pathway she took was sheer genius. If you haven't read her work before I would strongly suggest you start at the beginning and work your way through them, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Slaughter, 7 July 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love a good crime story and for me there's some authors that I can usually take their name as a sign of quality. One such is Karin Slaughter whose strong emotionally charged characters have a depth of realism about them that few other authors can match. Add to this a high octane full speed ahead plotline that doesn't allow much time to breathe, a great sense of prose and of course the authors deliciously wicked sense of snark to help bring the whole thing together.

For me, this is one of Karin's best books to date and is one that, if you haven't already embarked on an adventure with her before, that I will be highly recommending to old and new readers alike. Finally work into the mix an author who plays for keeps and a surprise or two that you don't see coming and it's a book that was hard to let go of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fast paced instalment from Karin, 9 July 2011
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm always excited by the latest instalment in Karin Slaughter's Georgia crime series and have been especially pleased that Sara and Will return in Fallen. When we first met Will, we knew that he'd been involved in investigating Faith's mother's narcotics squad and now we learn a little bit more about that time.

Faith returns late to her mother's home after attending a training session that runs over. She finds her baby daughter locked in the shed, signs of bloodshed in the kitchen and no sign of her mother. Was Will right in thinking Evelyn was involved all those years ago? The rest of the plot digs deep into Faith's family life as her, Will, Sara and Amanda work around the clock to get Evelyn back safe and sound.

I loved the idea that Amanda has a network of tough women, ready to spring into action or convey intelligence. It's definitely a story of empowered women but also women who have made mistakes in their lives. I'm afraid the critical bit of information to the resolution of the plot wasn't very believable. I won't say why as it'd be a huge spoiler and otherwise it was a great pacey read. I don't think established fans will be too disappointed.

Grant County, Will Trent and Georgia all seem to be marked as different series, but with the exception of perhaps Triptych, they really do need to be read in order as there is a lot of ongoing character development in her novels. Some of the titles also differ between UK and US versions.

#1 Blindsighted
#2 Kisscut
#3 A Faint Cold Fear
#4 Indelible
#5 Faithless
#6 Triptych
#7 Skin Privilege (Beyond Reach)
#8 Fractured
#9 Genesis (Undone)
#10 Broken
#11 Fallen

4.0 out of 5 stars An ending that may induce a few tears, 7 Feb. 2012
[...]

This book's pace is relentlessly fast and needs to be consumed in as few sittings as possible to keep up with the story development and numerous characters that are mentioned. Expect some disturbing scenes, that Karin describes so well as it could make even the hardened reader at least wince in empathy!

The main storyline focuses on Faith and her family. We finally get the truth over whether Evelyn, Faith's mother, really was as dirty as the rest of her narcotics squad that Will investigated. This delivers a twist I certainly wasn't expecting and which, to be honest, left me deflated as it was a little far fetched for my liking.

Sara Linton, the protagonist of the series, takes more of a backseat role from the main action but still remains a magnet for danger. Her feelings for Will are much stronger and they are more open in this book.

Sarah finally meets Angie, Wills mostly absent, abusive and volatile wife. It's no spoiler to say that they're not likely to be the best of friends anytime soon. Infact you just know that in one of the future instalments, Angie will have a much more prominent role showing us just how dark and twisted she can get in her bid to keep Will firmly under her control.

Verdict: A great read for those that can tolerate the macabre, enjoy strong yet flawed female characters and delivers an ending that may induce just a few tears!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit!, 18 Aug. 2011
The book begins explosively, you are right there involved with the situation and holding your breath from the start, when Special Agent Faith Mitchell of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation,arrives at her mother's house to pick up her baby daughter. There she finds, bodies, blood and chaos, the entire house has been torn apart and destroyed. Faith finds two men still alive in the house, however there is no sign of her mother, Evelyn, who is an x Atlanta Police Chief. With the help of Will Trent,her work partner, Dr Sarah Linton and Amanda Wagner (Will and Faiths boss), they set out to find Evelyn.

They need to figure out what has happened and why, before they have a chance to find her. There appears to be a strong drug connection with the bodies they find at the house, and there is history between Will and Evelyn, as he investigated her old drug squad and they all ended up in jail except for Evelyn herself. Will is still unsure about her innocence in this matter, and this is a potential stumbling block, however Amanda, his boss, is her best friend, but plays her cards close to her chest.

The action is fast paced, as we all try to figure out what is happening and why, the story gets more and more confusing with nothing seeming to make sense,and Will and his boss Amanda continue to clash. There is also some more personal issues going on in the background, some of which we are already aware of from previous books.

I would say that if you have read her previous books, you will not be disappointed, if you haven't, and you enjoy a good police thriller, I would highly recommend the entire series. I am certainly waiting for the next one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Karin Slaughter - Fallen, 26 July 2011
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
So we're back again with Sara and Will for what is essentially the 11th book in the series. Also making an appearance are Will's partner Faith and their boss Amanda, but unfortunately no Lena Adams. The story kicks off with Faith coming home expecting to find her mother Evelyn looking after Faith's daughter Emma. But what she finds is a dead man in her laundry room, her daughter locked in the shed, no Evelyn in sight and blood throughout the house. And so kicks off the investigation. Bring in all the regulars and it's pretty well travelled teritory for Slaughter.
I've been a fan of Karin since the beginning, having read all of her books and rated them all very highly but sadly this one just wasn't good enough when compared with her earlier efforts. The whole story is getting a bit trite and where once she was offering up a fresh voice in the genre she's now fading into the background. Read this if you like Slaughter, or the genre... but maybe wait for the paperback.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY TO SEE OUR OLD FRIENDS BACK IN THE GAME., 20 Aug. 2011
FXLXOX (london, uk) - See all my reviews
I have read every book of hers in chronological order which was a blessing.
I feel I know all the characters well and enjoy their lives' developments as time goes by. In this chapter, we have weird cop Will Trent, his nasty boss Amanda and Will's partner, Sarah the Doctor, Trent's crazy wife and then we meet some more relatives of one of these....Then the story starts!
This is not the usual devious sexual torture / crimes we have enjoyed in the past reads, but a more down to earth violent drug related scenario. I won't say more. Don't get me wrong, it is a big change but I did miss the darker plots that some of her books brought, some were so dark& sick that I never truly managed to forget them, which is a sign of a great book in my opinion.
But the characters are so well developed with some nice hot surprises, that I would go anywhere with them, in the dark even!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallen, 26 Oct. 2011
Gloria Feit (Long Beach, NY) - See all my reviews
In her eleventh novel, Karin Slaughter brings us back to Georgia. Agent Faith Mitchell, of the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, finds that what started out as a normal workday becomes something else entirely. [A bit of background: A cop for 15 years, Faith is a single mom, diabetic, 34 years old, and a former detective with the Atlanta homicide squad; her mother has helped care for Faith's four-month old baby for the past two months, since Faith went back to work.] When Faith drives up to the house, she immediately sees a bloody handprint on the front door. Before the ensuing confrontation is over, three men have been shot to death - two at Faith's hand; she finds her baby locked in a shed; the house has been ransacked; and her mother is missing. Faith's mother, a decorated police officer, had been in charge of the narcotics division, and two of the three dead men appear to be members of a local Hispanic gang known to control the drug trade in Atlantic.

Will Trent, Faith's old partner in the GBI, is handling the investigation; there is a bit of a conflict of interest at work here: Amanda Wagner, the deputy director and his boss, had been the BFF [before the term existed] of Evelyn Mitchell, Faith's mother, a 63-year-old widow and a cop for nearly forty years, who had been implicated in a sting operation that had been headed by Will, to weed out dirty cops, part of the upshot of which was her forced retirement.

Will has a complex relationship with Sara Linton, formerly a county coroner and now a pediatric attending physician in the emergency department of a local Atlanta hospital. Widow of the county's former police chief, at 5'11", with red hair, Sara is a striking woman. The `complexity' of her relationship with Will is due to the fact that he is still married, sort of. The relationship between him and his wife is strange, to say the least.

The plot is intricate, the main characters each strong yet vulnerable; the book is a wholly satisfying, fast read, and it is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced but not the best of Slaughter, 4 Sept. 2011
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
When Faith Mitchell gets home late she finds a dead body in her kitchen - and her mother, ex-police chief, Evelyn Mitchell - gone.

Thankfully this isn't yet another serial killer thriller with lots of mutilating of women's bodies - though there is a lot of very gritty violence. Slaughter brings back our old friends Will Trent and his on-off wife Angie; his boss Amanda Wagner; and the ubiquitous Sara Linton who combine to investigate the Mitchell past.

I liked this book because I think Will, especially, is one of the most interesting characters in current crime fiction. I also think that Slaughter has caught the voices of her people well so that we can recognise some of them just through the way they speak (Amanda, especially).

However, on the negative side, the relationship between Sara and Will really doesn't work for me, and Sara's role in the plot feels very forced. Add to that a rather strangely domestic climax, where rather than activating the resources of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Atlanta Police Force, our little band of heroes mount a hostage rescue with the help of a squad of old ladies...

I'm always a bit ambivalent about Slaughter's books: I love some things about them, hate others. This is fast-paced and interested in the lives and characters of our protagonists so it certainly carried me along. But even just a small pause for thought opens up all kinds of holes in the plot, not least the final plot revelation which I really didn't buy.

Overall, a good, fast read that keeps the pages turning but not the best of Slaughter.

Fallen: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 5)
Fallen: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 5) by Karin Slaughter (Paperback - 21 Jun. 2012)