5.0 out of 5 stars Wise, humble, beautiful
I read this book while on holiday and had a bit of trouble to begin with it... It is one of those books that is so well written and has so many insights that you really have to be paying attention whist reading (hard when travelling).

The book only really starts in earnest around about a third of the way in, so you have to be a little patient to get to the crux...
Published on 1 Aug 2010 by aus_books

3.0 out of 5 stars To Kill a Mockingbird
To see the world through the eyes of an eight-year old is fascinating, unusual, moving and enlightening. What Lee has done is produce a piece of social commentary free from adult interpreations and prejudices. The world of old-time southern America is described to us with the unspoiled logic of a child, and the tone of the book is pitch-perfect and true throughout...
Published on 15 Aug 2010 by Book 1981

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Prejudice and Innocence in Small Town America, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition (Paperback)
It's such a rare occasion when the book and the film do justice for each other. This story is such a roller coaster through a judgemental society in the 1930's and it brings your emotions out into the open so it's excellent narrative can do what it pleases with them. There's never a bad moment in the book, so it's a clear stroll through the chapters and you are met with old and new situations throughout so there is never a boring moment. The same can be said with the film. Without going into five paragraphs of reviewing, I'll keep it short. Buy this book now, you will never regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I shouldn't have waited so long!, 23 Jun 2013
It has been one of those books that I always meant to get round to reading and I finally did it. "To Kill a Mockingbird" definitely deserves its reputation as one of the greatest novels ever written.

Told through the eyes of a young narrator, it offers an innocent view of events surrounding the trial of a young black man as he stands accused of raping a white woman. It lulls you into the small town setting, absorbs you in the gossip of the impending trial and the courtroom drama is compelling to read.

I'm so glad that I finally read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never forget this book, 21 Jun 2013
I have read many books in my life and honestly, I hardly remember any of them in detail, but this one is one of the books that I will never forget and its lines sometimes spring to my mind and replay themselves making me smile or touched, so if you haven't read it yet, please waste no more time. The 50th anniversary edition was good, small and light-weighted but I would appreciate an introduction or anything like that because as a postgraduate student I really like to read introduction to books as they help me a lot in my studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harper Lee -genius!!!, 17 Jun 2013
I have been promising myself to read this book for over 40 years. I have just finished it and I'm glad I waited as I think I am now old enough to appreciate the fact that it is probably the best book I have ever read. My wife and I visited the Deep South this year and every page took me back; not the racism I may add!! I am amazed that having written one of the books of the century she did not write any more. To anybody who has not read it, do so and treasure the gift that Harper Lee has given us.

5.0 out of 5 stars You nevr realy undrstand a person until u considr things from his point of view -until u climb into his skin & walk around in it, 17 May 2013
I absolutely love this text, I am a 15 year old boy and I wouldnt say I'm obsessed with reading, nor am I a good English Literature student, but when our class finnished this novel I was so glad that our teacher had chosen it for us, and when I grow up and I have kids I can only hope I be a father anything near as good as Atticus. I will certainly be reading this book with my children and hoping to pass on the messages that I have learnt from this GCSE experience. My exam is 3 days from now and I shall miss the novel terribly, as you may have guessed as I wish to buy a copy and treasure this fantastic piece of Literature forever

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 18 Nov 2012
What an incredible book! It's been on my 'must read one day' list for ages, and I wish I'd read it sooner. What starts out as a deceptively simple tale of childhood soon takes a more uncomfortable and poignant turn. Beautifully written from the point of view of eight year old Scout, this book provides real food for thought.

This issues of prejudice described in this book are as relevant today as they were when it was written. This is a timeless classic, everyone should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite protagonists of all time, 15 Oct 2012
Great book. The thing that stuck with me was the hilarity of Scouts narrative and the simple beauty of the childish truths she conveys. As I was reading it I knew I was in the hands of a brilliant protagonist. I would say to anyone considering reading it, forget all the reviews, forget the sparknotes, the reams on wikipedia... I can tell you until I'm blue in the face that it's good but the pleasure and enjoyment will come from finding that out yourself. This is something you should read without any preconceived ideas. Just get started, and savour it.

5.0 out of 5 stars to kill a mockingbird, 31 May 2012
A. Stephens "hilts3188" (LIVERPOOL U.K) - See all my reviews
i read this book whilst at school over 30 years ago and bought it last week.
i read it in one day and could not put it down, gregory peck won the best actor for the role of atticus finch in 1962 for his portrayal, and as i was reading it, i could hear peck talking, the role is impeccable to the book.

it has a similar theme to 12 angry men and the role of henry fondas charactor of standing firm with integrity when all around are berating you.

the book is immense and it has more resonance as the years tick by.A TRUE MASTERPIECE. THANK YOU HARPER LEE.

it has enriched my life immesurably by reading it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A call to fight prejudice, poverty and ignorance, 19 May 2012
Mr. Timothy W. Dumble (Sunderland, England) - See all my reviews
This fine work written in the 1960s and set in the 1930s certainly lives up to its billing as a classic and for me `bucket lister' (a must read before one's own death) and in its depiction of prejudice, loss of innocence and natural justice is as relevant today as it ever was.

Lee creates an incredibly tangible Southern US town, populated by brilliantly drawn, real people. She painstakingly describes the climate, flora and fauna and setting of her native Alabama, drawing the reader in so they can taste the dry, dusty summer air and experience the odour of pecans and scuppernongs.

It is in its depiction of prejudice and a few good men's (one in particular's) stand against it that this novel is rightly remembered. Besides the primary theme of racism it also cleverly examines through subplots the notions of class prejudice, the urban- rural divide and the role of ignorance. Social division, alienation and isolation are portrayed at times humorously and at others poignantly but always with warmth and humanity.

Like `The Catcher in the Rye' this book is also a moving account of the painful passage from innocent childhood to cynical adulthood, in which the child's innate sense of fairness and justice is mediated by reality and societal pressures. Fortunately adulthood is saved by the moral lighthouse that is Atticus Finch, who's compassion and sense of justice is unperturbed by threat of injury to himself. His selfless need to do the right thing shines a beacon of reason through the darkness of ignorance, poverty and prejudice and demonstrates how an individual can make a difference and begin to turn the tide.

So long as there are human beings, the shadow of prejudice will forever lie just beneath the surface of even the most apparently civilised society and thus there will always be need for an Atticus Finch. This inspirational novel is a clarion call to all fair minded individuals to fight ignorance, poverty and discrimination.

4.0 out of 5 stars It stands the test of time, 21 July 2011
Although one can argue that today the main theme of this book is simplistic, in its day it was ground-breaking. At the time, the memory of the infamous "Scottsboro Boys" still lingered in people's minds (although Harper Lee denied that the Tom Robinson case was based on it). But what really makes this book great is the way that the author uses the child's voice so effectively to tell us about other aspects of life in the South and the quirks and foibles of human nature. This technique was used later, very effectively, by Thomas Tryon in Lady: A Novel which also explores racial intolerance as one its main themes, albeit in New England rather than the Deep South.

But it is the more subtle elements of this book that give its poignancy and resilience to the passage of time. The role-model father, the alienation of the outsider, Boo Radley, and the eccentric Dolphus Raymond, who under the guise of feigned alcoholism is defying social convention by living with a black woman despite being white. Without these elements, this would be a very simplistic book. Instead it still comes across as subtle and thought-provoking half a century on. I decided to read it after finishing David Kessler's No Way Out, about a modern trial of a black man for allegedly raping a white girl. It is interesting how attitudes have changed.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›

To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition by Harper Lee (Paperback - 24 Jun 2010)