Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2014
If you're already a fan of Haruki Murakami then this won't disappoint. I couldn't put it down... I loved it!
on 28 November 2012
6* rating is not good enough! I recommend this book to all who enjoy a good book! Thank you, Murakami-san!
on 19 February 2014
Not that good as book 1 & 2 but I guess it's closure! Worth a read, but I did get bored towards the end.
on 10 September 2014
A wonderful book. Having read books one and two, I couldn't wait for the dénouement ...it was worth it
on 8 September 2013
one of the best love stories I have ever read. Like living in the middle of a dali painting. read it!
on 16 January 2014
I feel like I'm missing the conclusion. All of a sudden it ended when I was expecting a little more
After the intriguing opening of "1Q84" in volumes one and two, it all turns into a bit of a mess in book three.

First of all the book feels different, which is down to two main factors. Firstly book three has a different translator, so the writing just doesn't feel the same, although the prose is still wonderful. Secondly a third narrator is introduced, so we now alternate between three voices, and sadly this third character just isn't that interesting. I also thought that book three felt rather aimless - even more so than the first volume - and for a long period of time Aomame is told to stay indoors and read a book (she chooses Proust - hardly light reading), so it seems as though even Murakami doesn't know exactly what to do with his characters. The plot moves along slowly towards the inevitable, obvious conclusion, and unlike his other books I was glad to see the end of this one.

Particular issues I had: The book is extremely repetitive, there are too many (really bad) sex scenes, and Murakami really should have hired an editor who would have pruned the whole trilogy down to something more worthwhile. I'm sorry to say that for me this is Murakami's weakest novel, as well as his longest and most bloated. The most disappointing book I've read in 2011, and for a Murakami fan this is a bitter blow.
on 4 October 2013
A good story but goes on for a bit. However, I did finish it as the narrative keep me interested.
on 19 April 2012
What a splendid novel. I confess I was slow to realise that Part III came in a different volume, and, although I was riveted by Parts I and II, I had been less than thrilled with the ending of Part II. Only when I came back to Amazon to write a review did I realise that Part III was still in store. A treat.

I particularly like the quiet spirituality that underlies the thriller. The characters are thoroughly credible and I felt I got to know them closely. Even Ushikawa, for whom I ended up entertaining an unexpected fondness.

The plot gets convoluted when it comes to working out the goings on at Sakigake, but it is worth working your way through that knot. Before long the narrative recovers its lightness and transparency.

Can anything else by Murakami be this good? I am almost scared to try.
on 7 March 2016
This is one of the best books that I have read and Murakami has become my very favorite author.