Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2013
Distilling decades of therapeutic work into a slim volume that reads like a collection of short stories, Grosz offers an intriguing insight into contemporary psychoanalysis. A married father-of-four announces that he is thinking of coming out, aged 71, while a woman who has just celebrated her 50th birthday realises a sexy dream that bothered her was about her son.

Anger, boredom, self-delusion, lying, being stuck, Grosz even shows how boredom is worth thinking about. He draws not just on his patients, but literature too - Scrooge shows us how we can't live a life without loss, a Herman Melville character reveals how `we all have a cheering voice that says "let us start now, right away"' and an opposing, negative voice that responds "I would prefer not to."'

But the real joy of this book is that all this is done with such a light touch. I'd take issue with the other reviewer who suggests we go and read Freud instead - many who are attracted to this book are unlikely to, and that's the very point. It avoids jargon, and in an era when CBT is frequently hailed as The Answer to mental health problems (it's just about the only therapy one can get on the NHS these days, though it's still a postcode lottery), it's a timely reminder not to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. Don't get me wrong, I think CBT can be invaluable tool, but let's remember looking at our entrenched patterns can help patients who suffer too. To have made complex theories accessible to a mainstream audience is a fine achievement, and to Mr Grosz I'd like to say: THANK YOU.
22 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 8 January 2013
To be honest, I am not a fan of Freudian analysis, regarding CBT as a less fanciful, if blunter tool for quickly fixing unwanted behaviour. However, I am fascinated by what people do, why they do it and how they think. I am pleased to say that the author does not shoehorn established Freudian ideas on to individual cases but is more intent on squirreling out a unique reason, based on the client's personal history, to account for their idiosyncratic behaviour. To me, this reflects more what true psychological analysis should be. The author does not confine himself purely to relating the details of his clients. He also describes an intriguing case he learned about while chatting to somebody on an aeroplane flight, proving that the author delights in the machinations of the human mind to the extent that he takes his work home with him.

Each account is gripping in its own right and each gives an insight into human nature and the sometimes obscure reasons which may cause it. As you read, you will recognise the behaviour of friends, colleagues and loved ones of your own and start pondering just what makes them tick... Whether you are a champion of Freudian psychoanalysis or not, there is plenty to enjoy in this book because the stories are well told and intriguing. Whether you agree with the author's reading of the situation is of course open to debate but nevertheless it will get you thinking, and that cannot be bad. I found this to be an absorbing and entertaining read and one that I would highly recommend.
11 comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this on my Kindle. Whilst I appreciate that the focus of the book is observations from analysis, I would have liked the book a little better if it had given a bit more information at the end of each chapter (regarding what happened next) which the author did do with the patient who had AIDS - I laughed out loud at the triumph in this patient's comment to his medication ! (and it is to, rather than about his medication!)

However, I do also appreciate that these are real people and as such they are not fictional short stories with neat endings. Additionally, I also know that whilst some patients return to therapy with further problems later in the transit of their lives, some do not and the series of sessions during a current issue is sometimes all that the analyst gets chance to work on/with the patient.

The only chapter I had any concerns about was the one associated with closure. I completely agree that dealing with death does not in any way have neat endings either, but I do sometimes think that with counselling or analysis or any kind of talking therapy, the patient can gain insights into their grief, especially if the person who died was someone with whom the patient had a particularly difficult relationship. Then, as a result of those insights, they are able to find the bereavement process slightly easier.

However, I do think closure is more useful as a concept when people are recovering from serious assaults etc rather than for bereavement so in this respect agree with the author.

I was really glad I had read this book and would recommend it to anyone for the author's insights and honesty - the chapter with his father moved me very deeply. It is one of those few books I've read where I felt I wanted to talk to the author afterwards !
on 6 January 2013
I loved this book - reading these short stories ( based on sessions between patients and psychoanalyst) is like lifting the curtains on the lives of your friends and neighbours and, yes, even yourself... To this end I have been posting this book through the doors of aforementioned friends in the hope that we can pepper our walks and talks with some of the insights offered by author Stephen Grosz. Have we over-praised our children? Have we invented fantasy escapes from our everyday lives? Does change scare us? And if, like me, you suspect that psychoanalysis might be a bit of a magician's art, you will be won over by the clarity and humility of the writing and the fascinating insights into how psychoanalysts actually work. The great joy of these highly engaging stories is that, unlike reading fiction where you might think, do I really believe a character would have acted like that, or, is this plot really believable, you know these stories are true: how satisfying it is to be presented with a character in crisis only to discover exactly what precipitated the crisis and how resolution might - or might not - be achieved; such a joy! If I was pressed, I would say this book is a meeting of Jane Austen, Tolstoy and Hello magazine. What a treat.
2222 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2013
Looking through the numerous and wide ranging reviews this book has already attracted, if you are still considering whether or not to buy it you might find the following explanation useful.

If you buy this book for the wrong reasons you won't get much out of it, and that might help explain the 1-3 star reviews. For example, if you think you are going to get just over 30 sessions (the number of chapters in this book) of psychotherapy on the cheap (the price of this book), think again. Being a fly on the wall during an intimate session between patient and psychotherapist isn't how psychotherapy works.

Nor is there any value in reading it as though this was an exercise in `spot-the ball'. For example, as you read each Chapter you may start to identify with a few of its symptoms or circumstances. You say to yourself `oh, I suffer from that', or `I'm a bit like that'. Well don't think you will find the answer to your problems by the end of the chapter.

But if you buy this book for the right reasons, expect to get a great deal out of Grosz's distillation of some 50,000 hours of conversation in his consulting room over a period of the last twenty-five years, covering a wide range of topics including: telling lies, loving, changing, and leaving. This might help to explain the numerous 4-5 star reviews.

The main benefit of the book lies in his prompting questions, and a few of the generalised lessons he draws out for himself. For example, ask yourself `what haunts you?' after reading his chapter on `How lovesickness keeps us from love.'

Grosz argues that effective desire to change our lives does not come about from fear or other negative emotions, but rather from things that haunt us. For example, we might be frightened of gaining weight, but that alone is unlikely to cause us to change our diet. "Haunting is different." he argues. It makes us feel alive to some fact about the world, or more likely about ourselves, or something we've experienced in the past that we're trying our best now and in future to avoid.

Each chapter is a narrative, sometimes focussing on one individual, sometimes a composite of his clients. In some cases, for example `A passion for ignorance', it reads like a fictional and fascinating short story during which you have to pinch yourself to remember it's based on fact.

The narrative style is deliberate as Grosz want to emphasise his view that we are all storytellers because we want to make sense of our lives in the stories we tell.Understanding ourselves by storytelling is one thing, but it soon becomes clear to the reader how important it is to be listened to (not merely being heard), i.e. being understood.

In his introduction, he sums the book up succinctly by a reference to the philosopher Simone Weil. She describes two prisoners in adjoining cells who learn to talk to each other over a very long period of time by tapping on the wall that divides them. The wall that separates them is also the wall that facilitates their communication. This book is about that wall.
1414 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 February 2016
This is a book equally easy to underrate as to overrate, though I do think whose who have given it two or three stars on the basis that it offers no answers are missing its whole point. Surely it isn't - nor does it set out to be - a book of answers, but rather a series of examples with a view to prompting our own responses, our own questions.
For example, there is a brilliant section on grief, in which he talks about coming to terms with it, coping with it, and - in a riposte to 'grief guru' Elisabeth Kubler-Ross - accepting it, rather than seeking 'closure' (dreadful word).
All the sections are kept short, some only two or three pages, others half a dozen, but rarely more. Using aliases, he takes real cases from his own work as a psychoanalyst (more Freudian than Jungian, one guesses) and either takes wing and improvises on the theme introduced by the patient's problem, or uses it to highlight what might be the problem itself. Sometimes he simply tells us the bare bones, leaving the reader to make up his or her own mind, or ask more questions...
It feels like Grosz has been very careful to write this illuminating book in a certain way - almost like a poem at times, as some have pointed out - and with respect for his readers' intelligence. I was captivated, and only wish it had been longer. It also made me think and feel, much as, say, Oliver Sacks does.
I believe reading this frequently beautiful book about our fellow humans and their/our everyday troubles, some familiar, others much stranger, will move many and make them think and feel as I did, and be grateful too, as I was.

Recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 May 2013
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
First of all this is an excellent audio production, the speech is clear and the voice acting perfectly cast, there is not jarring or annoying musical or sound effect accompaniment and the tone and pace of speech is just so, so appropriate. I began on a drive/car journey to listen to the first disk and decided to take a longer journey than I had initially planned because the production is just so good that I wanted to listen to more of it than I had anticipated I would want to.

The casting of the voice actor is pretty important to the enjoyment or displeasure when listening to audiobooks at the best of times but given that the content of this is psychoanalysis and sometimes some traumatic and unhappy material is involved it is doubly important. The material itself is very, very good, I had this book in hardback also but had not read it yet, I think that if I did not I may have considered buying a paper or hardback copy anyway after listening to this.

As I have said some of the material is a little harrowing, discussion of serious self-injury, attempted suicide or disturbed thinking and behaviour, it is not in any respect "psychobabble", it is removed from the self-help genres and likely to please the general listener as much as those with a more seasoned interest in psychoanalysis. No prior knowledge is necessary or assumed on the part of the listener, which is great, and equally there is no effort to dumb down content or simplify it, which is also most welcome.

There is no adaption and abridgement hell associated with this production too which is very important, I have encountered this once or twice the worst instance of which was the audiobook of Rob Bell's book Love Wins, which is fine but at points has he himself describing "well, at this point on this page there is a picture of...", I really did not like those production values at all.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 January 2013
I enjoyed this book very much. The author, a psychoanalyst, writes with empathy of a wide variety of patients who he has worked with over a 25 year period. The case studies, and there are over 30 of them described in a short chapter for each , are in the main about people with everyday problems that they are trying to deal with with varying degrees of success. The beauty of the book is in the ordinariness of many of the the patients' problems. You may, like me, encounter someone rather like yourself, and you are almost certain to encounter people who remind you of someone you know. The author is open about his own experiences in both his private and professional life - his successes and failures, and his own reactions to some of the more difficult situations which he faced.

This is a very humane book, full of insight, and very readable. It is quite short and flows well and I was rather sorry when I finished it in just a few sittings . If you find people fascinating there is much here to make you think, and to recognise.

Recommended
on 29 October 2013
A psychoanalytic who clearly loves his job. I listened to the audio version of this great little gem of a book which is filled with a great many insights into the inner working of the human being, its most basic fears and the many strategies devised to deal with a very complex life surrounding each and every one of us. I loved the Freudian method of discerning behaviours and conclusions based on dreams. There is something for every reader to take away from this gemstone, although in real life we shall probably come across very mild versions of the example symptoms listed in the book. But here is where what makes this book so great, it has managed to present the very clinical complicated human paranoia as analogies which most non-patients (so called healthy) can use in their every day life. I think its the author's gift to the healthy so that they remain healthy.
on 8 January 2013
Reading this book has helped me understand me and in turn understand others. This may not happen to you admittedly but, I believe there would be a few readers that do change as a result of reading it. I hope that is you.