5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly written, pithy and thought provoking - a total joy
Distilling decades of therapeutic work into a slim volume that reads like a collection of short stories, Grosz offers an intriguing insight into contemporary psychoanalysis. A married father-of-four announces that he is thinking of coming out, aged 71, while a woman who has just celebrated her 50th birthday realises a sexy dream that bothered her was about her son...
Published on 27 Feb. 2013 by Sarah Rayner

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight read does not live up to promise of title
Case studies and biographical accounts can be rich reading experiences but this compendium of short selections was very disappointing. The accounts are too short and the anonymised characterisations too generic to amount to much beyond a series of anecdotes. Searching analysis and interpretation is not what you will find here. The sections hardly amount to 'examined...
Published 24 months ago by Jan Primrose

‹ Previous | 135 36 3742 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves (Paperback)
am enjoying this book thank you for such speedy delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Oct. 2014
N. Brown (Reigate, Surrey) - See all my reviews
enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend!, 10 Aug. 2014
Product as expected. Prompt delivery. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apparently simple, yet profound, 23 April 2014
I was surprised to be given this book and wasn't at all sure that I'd like it. With in just a few pages I realised it was something special. The story of each encounter is so neatly and unpretentiously written and yet there are such insights to be shared. It's also the hidden story of this man's working life. I had tears in my eyes at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good insight, 16 Feb. 2013
I am a psychology student hoping to go into psychoanalysis, and this book gave be a brilliant insight to what is involved. It also had compelling case studies that I feel that I've learnt from and I recommend this to anyone who is interested on the processes which psychologist, psychiatrists and psychoanalysis go through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but........, 18 Jan. 2015
Interesting in itself but not what I was expecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I do object to having to write something after I have rated a product. I have expressed my opinion by rating it haven't I?, 8 Jan. 2014
Mr. J. Biltcliffe (Colchester, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it had been longer., 6 Jan. 2014
I enjoyed the insight this book gave me, from someone who knows his stuff. Unfortunately, I felt I wanted more info than I got, and the book was just not long enough for my liking.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more., 4 Jan. 2014
Whilst i found this book fascinating, i wanted more from it. I wanted endings more of the time. We're conditioned by television, film and literature to expect. Maybe the chapter on grief and wanting closure is apt. I wanted more in the way of case files and instead I got glimpses of people's lives. The writer seems to leave us with more questions than answers. If nothing else, this book has re-awoken my interest in psychology!

4.0 out of 5 stars I picked up some gems, 13 Jun. 2013
Whenever you take the time to listen to other people's problems you start to see how to solve other peoples and maybe your own.

‹ Previous | 135 36 3742 | Next ›

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves by Stephen Grosz (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2014)