5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly written, pithy and thought provoking - a total joy
Distilling decades of therapeutic work into a slim volume that reads like a collection of short stories, Grosz offers an intriguing insight into contemporary psychoanalysis. A married father-of-four announces that he is thinking of coming out, aged 71, while a woman who has just celebrated her 50th birthday realises a sexy dream that bothered her was about her son...
Published 17 months ago by Sarah Rayner

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight read does not live up to promise of title
Published 16 months ago by John Primrose

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A life times work described, 2 Mar 2013
Stephen Grosz, writes in a thoughtful and thought provoking way about his work and the way in which he understands people and their relationships. I was impressed by how astutely he conveys the nuances of his relationships with others and their mutual struggle to understand the human condition. A valuable insight into the workings of an intimate yet professional relationship.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight read does not live up to promise of title, 7 Mar 2013
Case studies and biographical accounts can be rich reading experiences but this compendium of short selections was very disappointing. The accounts are too short and the anonymised characterisations too generic to amount to much beyond a series of anecdotes. Searching analysis and interpretation is not what you will find here. The sections hardly amount to 'examined lives' and this is an easy and undemanding (also superficial and unsatisfying) read for the most part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and compassionate, 17 Jan 2013
I was moved to order this book after having heard only a single episode broadcast on Radio 4's 'Book of the Week'. The physical book has not not disappointed and, having so enjoyed Peter Marinker's reading of the story, I now find myself reading Stephen Grosz's words through Marinker's perfectly-cast voice. In the same way as other reviewers, I have already bought multiple copies of this book and given it to those friends whom I know would appreciate its thoughtful and sensitive style. This is a quiet book that tells you much about the human condition with a calm, non-judgmental and compassionate voice. I recommend it very highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was married to one of the "examples" in this book, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves (Paperback)
I have read this book.It comes across as a smug,know it all,account of some of his "cases".i won't say which one but one account is of my ex wife who is deeply traumatised by the fact that her "account" is included without prior reference to her.During her "treatment" by the author,every day for 10 ,yes 10 ,years ,she showed absolutely no sign of recovery,but was encouraged and cajoled to continue her daily trudge across London to see him.If like reading a sneaky view of people at a low ebb being taken advantage of by a scheming quack the this is for you.If I was you I would save my money.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit voyeuristic ?, 12 May 2014
I dont share the admiration of others for this - particularly . I'd like to be reassured that Mr Grosz had the permission of his various " patients " ( yes I know they are given the protection of an initial rather than their full name but presumably their inner circle know exactly who is being written about ? ) ... I'd also like to know that he has shared the profits from his book sales with the less fortunate among those patients ... or done something similarly worthy .
Something made me uncomfortable about this .... I stopped half way through feeling a bit as if I was snooping . I didnt think his observations were particularly enlightening or brilliant .... found myself wondering more what sort of individual Mr G is .... there is a kind of implied superiority somewhere between the words .... like sitting next to someone who is pontificating in a know it all way .... and longing to move seats !

3.0 out of 5 stars too abrupt and over-hyped, 10 Mar 2013
This book is interesting but leaves one feeling a bit robbed at the end of each chapter, which all end abruptly with no follow up. Also I feel the stories and explanations of each case are rather trite and simplistic and, in fact, not very examined. It is like psychotherapy for Dummies. I feel he set out to write a best seller, and has under-estimated the intellect of his readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time, 7 May 2014
I was so disappointed with this book, it was just an exercise in callous money making. my advice would be don't bother with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Examined Life, 14 Mar 2014
Ms. Helen K. Lunt (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
very good account of inner examination as demonstrated by several case histories……short case histories, snappy, no need to get bogged down, but succinct and perceptively written.

5.0 out of 5 stars R, 12 Mar 2014
A great read. Very insightful and it should be read by everyone. I recommend it to anyone thinking about life and death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really superb, 11 Mar 2014
a great book, easy to read yet telling many truths in a simple way which communicates a loving, tender professionalism and respect with which all these encounters occur both the professional and the personal. I'm sorry to have come to the end of the book but sure I will revisit it again and again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves by Stephen Grosz (Paperback - 2 Jan 2014)
6.29