5.0 out of 5 stars Saying goodbye to a friend
Well I suppose I should first admit that I am a fan of Mankell's famous Swedish detective, & I have read every book, in chronological order, over the last five years. For those of you who might be put off reading the Wallander books as you've seen the tv versions, please don't be. The dramatised tv & film versions are a vague shadow of the books.

I won't try...
Published on 3 April 2011 by Average User

3.0 out of 5 stars Was never going to live up to expectation
It would seem that public, or maybe publisher, demand rather forced Mankell into one last Wallander novel. In interviews in the decade or so since the last one he had said he he thought that the series had run its course, and he didn't feel he had anything new to bring to the character. Indeed he had started out to create a new series featuring Wallander's daughter Linda...
Published on 29 Mar. 2011 by Alex

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery (Paperback)
A very good read although a little saddened by the fact that we shall have no more of the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hidden Novel, 19 May 2011
There is a really good novel hidden in this rambing piece of work but I couldn't be bothered digging it out. I enjoyed it well enough but if it had been his first book I doubt if he'd been signed up for a series.

In my opinion Mr Mankell took all his notes for unfinished stories and dumped them into this novel - there are so many unresolved threads and even more side-alleys to get lost in. Why, for example, would the MC have a deformed child hidden away in a home if it didn't move the story forward? The unresolved nature of the 'suicide' annoyed me after all the meandering about whether or not she was the master spy of the century.

Hopefully he will write no more and further degrade his shining (and well earned) reputation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery (Paperback)
Excellent crime novel and a fitting end to ageing Swedish detective.

2.0 out of 5 stars Finale, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery (Paperback)
The first half of the book is very good but the 'twist' at the end is rather too obvious from about then on especially if you are familiar with Mankell's own political views. You almost get the feeling that Mankell has had enough of Wallender and wants to use this book to make points It is more 'spy-story' than 'crime-story' but he lacks Le Carre's gift for complex plotting and taut writing. The book also becomes too long as it becomes increasingly self indulgent and repetitious.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this if you are over 50!!, 7 April 2011
This is a thoroughly depressing (and distressing) end to the series. The negativity towards aging is very upsetting, especially as I feel it is an artificial author's contrivance to get rid of a character, with whom he is no longer engaged. In fact towards the end of the book I felt as though it had become a tiresome exercise which had to be finished, one way or another. The loose ends are just disposed of through another lazy writer's trick "The dead had taken their secrets with them."
I loved the rest of the series and felt disappointed and cheated by a "hack" ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fine end to the series, 9 April 2011
unlike many reviewers I was very impressed with this last Wallander book. The pace is slow- which fits both the character and what is happening to him as the book progresses- but Mankell creates a perfect if elegiac atmosphere. A fine end to the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Sad to see the demise of Kurt Wallender.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery (Paperback)
Another very good book of H Mankell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is sad sometimes. Bye Wallander., 9 Oct. 2014
E. Biggs "since_2003" (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
Pretty good read and a sad end

2.0 out of 5 stars I mean really, 11 Aug. 2011
J. Murray (UK) - See all my reviews
I came on here to rant about this book and see if other people agreed with me....and they do! I am a huge fan of the Wallander books after stumbling across one at an airport bookshop a few years ago and thanking my lucky stars and buying all the others in the series. I sort of enjoyed the story, it was the endless going on about getting old and his best years being behind him that became repetitive and in fact put me into a bit of a panic for myself at the age of 40! I looked at the picture of the author on the back cover and wondered if it was HIM who was feeling his age as he looks older than Wallander.

The ending....I mean really. Sometimes I re-read a last paragraph because the book has been so wonderful I don't want to finish it, in this case I re-read it because I could not believe my eyes at how lame it was. It beggars belief that an editor would allow it, maybe Henning Mankell didn't write it at all and the translator just ran away with himself. I have been going on and on about this to my husband who reads one book every 10 years or so and has no interest in the subject but really need to get it off my chest. I'm going to join a few of the other reviewers and (try and) forget the end that Mankell (maybe suffering from a neurological disorder himself) felt acceptable to give his character. It was not even going out with a whimper instead of a bang, it was just plain wrong.

The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery
The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery by Henning Mankell (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)