4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first three chronicles - but not bad!
Published on 31 Aug. 2010 by The Philosopher

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very exciting
Published on 9 Nov. 2008 by D. Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very exciting, 9 Nov. 2008
D. Scott (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After reading the first four books of the vampire chronicles, Memnoch the devil is a pretty big disappointment. The first few chapters are promising and quite a good read but now i'm forcing myself to read it to the end, whereas, usually i can't put her novels down. It is way too theological, and seems to lose the vampire plot completely, i don't really see where it ties in.
It is well written, of course, and still has the emotion and atmosphere of an Anne Rice novel but is a bit tedious and hard to follow at times.
I would say read it if you plan on reading The Vampire Armand, if not i wouldn't bother (i'm 19, atheist and have not yet finished the book)

I love Anne Rice's writing i just think she ran away with the idea a bit or maybe its not my thing. I will still be reading The Vampire Armand

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first three chronicles - but not bad!, 31 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Memnoch The Devil: The Vampire Chronicles 5 (Paperback)
When it comes to novels, I tend not to read into the reviews of others too much as, after all, it's a matter of taste an opinion. Nonetheless, I intend to share my review regardless! In this case, the reviews seem (to me) to be right in that this is a "weaker" novel than they previous chronicles. I myself, believe that "The Tale of The Body Thief" is weaker than the first three as well. This book, although focusing on Lestat, lacks the focus on him that the others have had. Yes this novel is theological and somewhat philosophical. I don't mind that however (being a Philosophy graduate) and I found Rice's take on creation and the "war" between God and the Devil very interesting.
What is present in this novel, is Rice's brilliant, sensual and captivating writing.
I am currently reading "The Vampire Armand" and again it seems that Anne Rice has yet to rediscover the brilliance of the first three chronicles. However, that being said, this is not a bad novel at all. Trying to match the (in my opinion) brilliance of the earlier chronicles was never going to be easy. Rice delivers a well written story from the eyes of our favourite anti hero Lestat, and although it is slightly less successful than her early chronicles, if you are like me and found yourself captivated from page one of "Interview with the Vampire", you will want to read this regardless of anyone elses opinions. Anne Rice won me over completely, particularly with "The Vampire Lestat", and I intend to continue reading her work until the end of (and past) the Vampire Chronicles.

2.0 out of 5 stars A typical 5th sequel, 25 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
Although the previous 4 volumes of the Vampire Chronicals were excellent, partically the 3 volumes concerning the vampire Lestat, this was a poor attempt to contine the series regarding Lestat but how could one top The Tale of the Body Thief? This volume basically covers Anne Rice's views about heaven and hell, how the earth was formed and the atrocities that have been committed in the name of religion over the centuries, supposedly viewed by Lestat. Maybe Ms. Rice fell in love with her creation as much as every reader of the chronicles have and wanted one more volume to continue her affair with Lestat. A poor final volume on Lestat

2.0 out of 5 stars miss it if you plan to read Armand, 1 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
Loved Interview, Lestat, Queen of the Dammed and Tale of the Body Thief. I forced myself to finish this one as I had to know how Lestat ended up. Too much theology for my tastes: I'm open to religous arguments, but they really don't sit well here, they bog you down and you can lose the thread of the story. If you have or plan to read Armand, it will tell you what you need to know from this book. A disappointing exit for my favourite fictional character.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars, 5 Jun. 2010
I just wish that it hadn't been part of the Vampire Chronicles. Sure, you can offer other possible explanations, but having a character show up and--fairly convincingly, at least--introduce himself as the Devil (complete with feud-with-God backstory) threw a level of metaphysical certainty into Lestat's world that ultimately stole some of the character's poignancy. (Sidenote: When Rice started writing this one, she actually hadn't intended it to be part of the Vampire Chronicles. Sadly, she found that she liked Lestat's voice for the narrator, and simply folded it in.)

That said? Whatever your literary tastes, Rice is at the very least quite good at what she does, and this book is an excellent stand-alone tale, as Anne Rice books go.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING, 3 Oct. 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memnoch The Devil: The Vampire Chronicles 5 (Paperback)
Let me first say that I have read almost all of the vampire novels by Anne Rice and I absolutely love them, so never in my wildest nightmares did I expect to find one of her books so disappointing that I would consider rating it with anything less then five stars.

In his prologue, Lestat describes his undoubtedly irresistible self and adds "Is it enough to make you want to read my story? Have you perhaps read my stories of the vampires before? Here's the catch: it doesn't matter here that I`m a vampire." and his statement is correct but that is the least of the book's problems.

Lestat after the events described in the previews novel, The Tale of the Body Thief, finds himself drifting in New York City, obsessed with a potential victim the mobster Roger and his televangelist daughter Dora; the Brat Prince's latest infatuation. After he finally kills Roger and has a long conversation with his ghost; which is a long narration of the very unsympathetic Roger's life, that adds nothing to the story, Lestat has a feeling that he is been watched. Indeed the Devil (he prefers being called Memnoch) comes along and he offers Lestat a deal, anything familiar with this story? Faust perhaps? Lestat accepts to fallow him, in order to discover the truth about the God- Devil disagreement, who the bad guy really is, and whether he wants to join the very attractive Memnoch as God's adversary. The Devil then takes him on a journey to the past, to heaven and to hell. And if the similarities to Faust can be seen as a reference, this journey is a little too similar to Lord Byron's excellent play "Cain", where a very charming Lucifer approaches Cain and in order to prove that he is good, takes Cain on a journey to the universe, to the past worlds that existed on earth and the underworld. Again anything familiar with this story? Memnoch then tells the story of the creation and the evolution of humankind in an exhausting narration that is a combination of Byron's "Cain", the "Bible", and Darwin's "Origin of Species", all that manipulated only so that they can fit with the story of the twins and the creation of the vampires from The Queen of the Damned (Vampire Chronicles 3). Finally the ending is very simplistic, didactically `Christian', boring and disappointing.

In total, this is an exhausting book to read; I actually had to force myself to finish it out of some kind of loyalty to the Vampire Chronicles. The other books of the series (written before and after this disaster) are fantastic and I wish I had not read this one. The only reason for anyone to read it is to find out what happens to the main character from the next novel in the series, The Vampire Armand: The Vampire Chronicles: Volume 6, other then that it adds nothing to the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bold and imaginative, 21 May 2009
I have not read anything previously by Anne Rice and did not realize that this was the last of the Vampire Chronicles when I started reading. I found the book frustratingly slow to begin with, possibly because I did not know the characters, their background and previous history. Nevertheless, I warmed to Lestat straight away and found myself increasingly engaged by him as the narrator of the story. The introduction of Memnoch himself takes the book into a new dimension with a wonderfully imaginative description of creation, with God using evolution as his method for developing the world and his angels as observers. Memnoch, as the most critical of these observers, due to his unwillingness to allow suffering, becomes the fallen angel and is tasked with managing those souls who have not yet ascended to heaven, creating from the evolutionary Sheol the vision of hell as we are familiar with it today. In to this is woven the story of God's descent to earth as Man and His suffering as observed by Lestat, resulting in Lestat's recovery of genuine evidence in the shape of Veronica's veil. Meanwhile, Memnoch takes Lestat through time to witness the horror that men have done to each other in the name of God as he attempts to recruit Lestat as his assistant in managing hell. Personally, I think the book is a triumph of storytelling, whatever your views on the historical development of the world, and a just reward for a bold attempt to describe heaven and hell and place historical events into a bigger picture while using characters already developed through the author's own previous writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars First hate, later love, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Memnoch The Devil: The Vampire Chronicles 5 (Paperback)
In fact in bored me when I read it. I barely could understand what it is written and often needed dictionary. But I could better understand Christianity, I understood how marvelous Anne Rice found such inspiration from religion to write this book. I always get fascinated by authors who show well known things in other light.

Of course it was very philosophical book, hard to read and everything, but I think it was worth reading. And of course erotic scenes...which I liked very much in books.

This book in fact changed all life of Lestat as it is seen in other books. This adventure changed all his life, changed everything in his personality. You must read all Vampire Chronicles to understand what this books mean. Everything is connected. In fact this book left some...emptiness. In my opinion it could be continue. The all story of Lestat after this adventure could still continue and I see tragic end or that good old ending.

"Memnoch the devil" gave me a lot of thinking. Even passed long time after I finished this book, I still come back in my mind and think "what if...". Sometimes my mind wonders in this story and I cannot stop my mind, I simple sit and it comes back to me. I think it was most serious book of Vampire Chronicles. And it inspired me to read more about religion, it inspired me to write one story I still have no plot, not even name, nothing, just idea.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best., 10 July 2010
This review is from: Memnoch The Devil: The Vampire Chronicles 5 (Paperback)
I have to admit I was disappointed with this one. It lacked the usual spark that jumps out of Rice's books.

The story itself seems to travel at a painfully slow pace and I have to admit that I found myself skipping big chunks of description and dialogue.

But naturally as a Rice fan, I was still eager to read it and to finish it. Lestat is off on another adventure, it's just not as exciting as his other narratives.

I found it lost a lot of momentum in places and that the story and characters were lost on occasion, when the narrative gave into the ideas of religion and good vs. evil.

For hardcore fans it will be a disappointment I think, but I still drank in every delicious moment when Lestat was himself. If you are not an Anne Rice die hard then I think this is not even worth picking up because it will tarnish the other masterpieces.

Memnoch the Devil is certainly overshadowed by The Vampire Lestat and Interview with the Vampire, which could be why my review is as harsh as it is. I still gave this book three stars however because I just could not bring myself to put it any lower as I did enjoy reading it, but I equally enjoyed closing the last page.

2.0 out of 5 stars didnt like this, 30 Mar. 2009
found this at a car boot sale. It looked like a very good book, and although the plot has the potential to be very good, the pace is far too slow, slowing down almost to nothing in places like when a very short conversation takes up a whole chapter. However, this book does have some very clever ideas about god and the devil and life after death but as a novel im being rather generous giving it two stars

Memnoch The Devil: The Vampire Chronicles 5
Memnoch The Devil: The Vampire Chronicles 5 by Anne Rice (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2010)