5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
I clearly remember as a small boy in the early 6o's crying for the first time at a film. It was at the end of Captain's Courageous. I have never been able to watch it since but Spencer Tracy became one of my favourite Hollywood actors.
Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Mr. W. Nicol

3.0 out of 5 stars Toooooooo Long
Published 20 months ago by juliemichele

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 15 Nov 2011
Mr. W. Nicol "Bill" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Hardcover)
This book is a meticulously researched biography. It details the complexities of a deeply religious and god-fearing man and his chronic alcoholism due to a deep sense of personal guilt. His Catholic upbringing and influences ensured that he was continually torn between his moral sense of right and wrong, but the flesh was weak, and he continued to bed many glamorous women including Loretta Young, Jean Harlow, Ingrid Bergman and Joan Crawford. The guilt was the result of these extra-marital affairs which culminated in his long term relationship with Katherine Hepburn.
It provides detailed insight into his relationships with his wife Louise and son John (who was born deaf and contracted spinal meningitis). Again Tracy believed that this was a result of his infidelity, Gods retribution!
I would suggest that any reader would need to have a real interest in the subject as this book is not simply a lightweight sensationalist depiction of Tracy's life and times. It provides an incredible wealth of information about Tracy's career and a rewarding insight into a time when Hollywood stars enjoyed incredible plaudits, rewards and attention. Fans however will be amply rewarded. I personally did not want this book to end. This is how biographies should be written. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A mammoth biography of the screen's greatest movie actor, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Kindle Edition)
Simply one of the best biographies I've ever read, although it runs to over 1000 pages there was not a dull moment in a book that I felt was as well researched as it was written. I only hope that Curtis will write another biography like this one, Hepburn perhaps?

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional piece of work, 26 Mar 2013
J. Whitfield (durham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
Just finished reading this exceptional piece of work by author James Curtis. The book is an indepth look into the life and times of one of hollywoods best loved actors, Spencer Tracy. The subject has been thoroughly researched by Mr Curits over six years and it tells on every page. I have read many actor biographies in my time and this is one of the best. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive biography, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
For devotees of Spencer Tracy....the detail is staggering....eveything's been explored. I had not realised just how talented and supportive his wife was..... usually Louise is glossed over in favour of Hepburn. This is a comprehensive biog and occasionally I've glossed over information I wasn't interested in...but it's all there and well worth owning and reading

3.0 out of 5 stars Toooooooo Long, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
I have always been a massive fan of Spencer Tracy probably my favourite actor of all time. I was really looking forward to reading this book. It is well written but far to long I did get to the end of it but more as a challenge than the fact that I was enjoying the book. Spencer Tracy was a complex human being and led a fascinating life but the book goes into his life in far to much detail. There were facts that were just not necessary and took away from the overall enjoyment of the book. I really believe this book would have been far better if it had been a third of the size.I do however think I now have learnt what the man was really like. If you think you can cope with nearly 900 pages of very small print and masses of unecessary details than go for it but be warned if your not a huge Spencer Tracy fan and alot of time to complete the book then I wouldn't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars well received gift, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
the recipient was very please with the item and the book arrived in good time and was well packaged. Its a very interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was he Hollywood's finest actor?, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
Tremendously well-researched, this biography is a welcome addition to the literature about the golden age of Hollywood. A very comprehensive account of Tracy's colourful life and fine acting career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
I bought it as a gift for my Mum and she read it the same day she received it! My Mum states that the book is well written and reveals the true character or Spencer Tracy. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in older classic film actors/actresses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Hollywood, 5 Dec 2012
Ms. Kathleen Herron "bookaholic" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Paperback)
Being a lifelong fan of the great Katherine Hepburn, I wanted to learn the man who was the man of her dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars great bio, 5 Nov 2012
E. S. Newton (Seaford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spencer Tracy (Hardcover)
Nearly finished this mammoth tome but a very good read and lots of new pics so can recommend to any Tracy fans.

Spencer Tracy
Spencer Tracy by James Curtis (Paperback - 1 Nov 2012)