4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, entertaining and instructive as befits Schama
Published on 4 Dec 2011 by Harry Kumel

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too high-brow for me
Published on 25 July 2012 by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, entertaining and instructive as befits Schama, 4 Dec 2011
Harry Kumel (Berchem-Antwerp, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scribble, Scribble, Scribble: Writing on Ice Cream, Obama, Churchill and My Mother (Paperback)
As is often - if lately in his more 'engagé' books not always - the case, the learned professor in these short if sometimes fluffy journalistic 'set pieces' is fun to read; and his knowledge, style and wit make for an easy informative experience at the same time. It's like having an erudite after dinner speaker at one's call and beck - without having to dine first. I could have done perhaps without the confused and confusing preface, which is none of the above.
Pity the binding of this paperback edition is not up to its content: cover cracks when reaching the first quarter of the book, page layout is too close for comfort to the binding, and other such niceties.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simon Schama never lets you down., 21 Nov 2013
He is a very erudite man and can make even the subject of ice cream fasinating.I also, perhaps mainly admire his knowledge on art.

5.0 out of 5 stars articulate and supremely well-informed, 3 Oct 2013
Professor Schama must embody the term polymath. He seems to know everything about everything, and writes in the most eloquent speech on any subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars taken on trust, 10 Aug 2011
Ms. Fiona Allen "catlover" (edinburgh, uk) - See all my reviews
This will read somewhat oddly; I've bought this as a birthday gift for my husband, whose birthday isn't for some weeks yet, so I haven't had his opinions and therefore can't review it properly. However, I've never been disappointed in a Simon Schama yet - overwhelmed by his intellect, yes - and this seems to be no different. plus the service was great.
(Later)
OK. I've now re-visited this review, having whipped the book out of my husband's protesting hands. I enjoyed the chapters on food enormously, and spouse loved the serious history. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants an interesting and well-written book which can be dipped into time and time again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too high-brow for me, 25 July 2012
Kindle Customer (Dover, Kent, England.) - See all my reviews
The purchase and delivery etc. were all excellent. When it comes to the actual book , and I do like Siomon Schama on the television , it was too intellectual I felt. Especially with such a banal title , it gives you know clue as to what level the book is written at,. I love history , which of course is Simons subject ,but this is NOt a history book at all and to tell the truth I have not read all of it but bits and pieces. That is a good thing actually in that you can pick it up and open it anywhere and start reading but its not the sort of book which can be described as , " not able to put down " , more like when shall I next pick it up ?

8.79