5.0 out of 5 stars Traitors of the Tower - A review by a reading group
I run a Reading for Pleasure class for an adult literacy group, and we have recently read this book as part of our course. We use many books from the Quick Reads series, and this was the third one that we have read this year. After we have completed a book, I encourage the learners to comment on the content. Here are some of the comments from the group:...
Published on 27 May 2010 by M. Reeves

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
I picked this book up to read on a bus journey. As a history enthusiast, I quite enjoyed it and think its a good book for people who are interested in the period but don't know where to start.
Published on 21 July 2010 by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Traitors of the Tower - A review by a reading group, 27 May 2010
M. Reeves (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)

"It's a brief, bite-sized introduction to history";

"I went to visit the Tower of London a while ago. I wish I had bought this book at the time as it would have brought my visit to life";

"It was interesting to read about English culture and lifestyles in Tudor times; we were particularly interested to read about health and hygiene and their effects on birth rate and life expectancy, and how marriages could happen at a young age (as could inheritence of the throne). We all felt sympathy towards the women in the book as they all met with a sad fate - regardless of how powerful they were in their own right.

"This book explains relationships clearly and simply and it is easy to read as it's so short. It's not a book for anyone who wants to examine the lives of its subjects in great detail - try some of the author's other books if this is what you are looking for."

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
My one 'issue' with Alison Weir is; she can't seem to make her mind up about the fate of Francis Dereham. Two of her books give him a simple beheading (which is widely seen as incorrect) and a third book gives him the full traitors death. To people that do not know the era very well, this could be confusing.
Other than that one little niggle, a good quick read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read. Highly Recommended., 18 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
This is the kind of book that you can dip into whenever you want, because each narrative is so concise. It contains seven short stories about some of the most famous so-called traitors who were executed at The Tower of London, three of them Queens of England, Anne Boleyn, Catherine Howard, and Lady Jane Grey. I found it very interesting and easy to fall into. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent quick read, 27 Aug. 2010
J. Cooper (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
This is a very quick read indeed - blink and you'll have missed it. But whilst it isn't a lengthy tome listing endless facts and dates, what it is, is an exceptionally informative and interesting `taster book'. By that I mean the author gives you just enough detail to whet the appetite in order to stimulate the desire for further reading.

The book has seven entries listing "traitors" (and I use that term very loosely as not all people executed were guilty of their trumped up charges) who were executed at the site of the tower of London from 1483 to 1601. The people executed were either Royals or people of the upper nobility, close enough to the ultimate source of power to warrant a swift demise.

The author writes with a style which is detailed yet engrossing and this allows the reader to devour the book in a single sitting in a quest to satiate the desire to obtain those gory little details!

To sum up, this is highly informative reading; don't expect a lengthy book and if historic executions `float you boat' then this one is definitely for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if you are over 11 years of age!, 4 Jun. 2011
I love books of this type, or rather what I thought this was the type!
Thought this would be right up my street, however I was majorly disappointed.
I think the book summary should point out that this book is written in EXTREMELY basic terms. I was surprised as Weir's books are usually so detailed, interesting and informative.
For anyone wanting a basic background on the people in the book, I guess this is fine, but if you have ever read any books on, or have any kmnowledge of, tudor history, you may - as I have to say I did - find this rather insulting to the intelligence!
It was the kind of book I would read to a child who had expressed an interest in this subject. The style of writing is very patronising!!!
This style of book is ok if you know what you are purchasing beforehand, but as I said I strongly feel that the style of this book should be made clear in the synopsis.
I think this book should be put into the category of non fiction for children (and I mean children under the age of around 12/13).

4.0 out of 5 stars zippy quick guide to the Tower's poor souls...., 25 Feb. 2010
L. Bretherton "dempie" (Tiverton, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
I didn't realise that these little books were meant for Adult Literacy, but now that I've read one, I see why it seemed a bit simplistic. Written in sparse style, with simple language, this books outlines the fate of 7 traitors who ended up in the Tower. Each story is short, and the whole book will only take an average reader an hour at the most to get through. A useful way to pass time on a train, or waiting at the doctor or dentist. You might actually get to learn some History, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A short, but good introduction to history, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
Alison Weir has published many books that have given an in depth analysis of a historical person, however, in this short read she gives a brief, but interesting summary about key people in history who have been executed as traitors.

Due to this being a quick read the reader gets through it very quickly and the brief summary leaves the reader wanting to delve deeper into what happened. Therefore it gives a little taste to the reader, who may not have otherwise have bothered to read a history type book.

The point of the book is to get people back into history and I think it is successful at exactly that. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm totally converted!!, 19 Mar. 2010
E. Garlick (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
My husband bought this as a last minute 'dont know what to get you' mother's day gift! I read it no time (hence the quick read). It's the first history book i've ever read so cant compare it to anything. It was easy language and educational for someone who knows very little and has left me wanting to know more juicy details! I am shopping for my next Alison Weir book!
If you want to know 'something' about the history of The Royal Family or are going to The Tower for a day trip, this is a great read to spark your interest!

4.0 out of 5 stars A short and snappy read, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
As well as being used in adult literacy groups and for encouraging people who are not book readers to pick up novels or non-fiction instead of newspapers and magazines, Quick Reads are ideal for trying out authors you might not have read before. This book is a good introduction to Alison Weir's work and and gives a snapshot of each of the characters and how they met their untimely ends. Traitors is not quite the word for them all; I would say the traitors are those who conspired against them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good simple introduction for beginners, 14 Oct. 2014
This was my first Alison Weir book. I am a huge history fan - particularly the Tudors, it has to be said - and I found it a very easy read, with all the important facts, most of which I knew, but this was a good introduction to Alison Weir (and tales from the Tower, excellent for beginners). I look forward to reading others by her.

Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads)
Traitors of the Tower (Quick Reads) by Alison Weir (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2010)