5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving and real portrait.
Published on 4 Oct 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars An ending that leaves you feeling disappointed
I've read a few of Oprah's selections and I was really looking forward to reading this one. However, I did feel a bit let down, particularly by the ending. I feel that the final section could have been explored a lot more. In my opinion it ends too abruptly.
Published on 30 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving and real portrait., 4 Oct 1999
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Anna Quindlen, recommended to me by a friend. I found it very easy to read however in no way a simple story. The portrayal of the main character's feelings and fears is spot-on and you are following her every emotion with empathy and interest. As a reader you feel you have been given a valuable insight into a very private world, normally kept behind closed doors. Very moving, almost to the point of tears. I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. You will get jittery with her!, 27 Mar 1999
This review is from: Black and Blue (Paperback)
I honestly could not put this book down. YOu start to panic with her and are desperate to know what happens at the end. The end was quite unexpected - you usually expect a good ending, which this was with a twist.
I loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ending that leaves you feeling disappointed, 30 May 2001
By A Customer
A positive aspect of this book is that it shows how difficult it is for a woman to break free of her violent husband, and the reality that even when she is free, he still has some kind of hold on her, he's constantly in her mind.
Overall I think the author tackled a difficult subject very well, the emotive prose helps us to relate to the main character Fran (Beth), who is living a nightmare. The difficulties that both her and her son, Robert, must endure in their new lifestyles in Florida, so very different to the one they led in New York, for him that he cant be with his father, and for her the fear that her husband will find them, which inevitably does happen.
Black and Blue is well written, and it does touch you, however as I mentioned above the ending was cut short, and I was left feeling a little disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book!!, 6 April 1999
This review is from: Black and Blue (Paperback)
This book kept me in suspense the whole time. The ending is unbelievable. You'll rush to get to the end, to find out completely different results than you had expected!! This is a Must have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very goood purchase, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
Item arrived well packed so it was, as expected, in mint condition. It also came sooner than excpected and that was a bonus. It was a great read. Highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Black And Blue (Kindle Edition)
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I felt it was very perceptive writing and thought-provoking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Black and Blue, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Black And Blue (Kindle Edition)
Clearly one of Quindlen's earlier books and not as impressive as later ones, e.g. One Last Time. But very readable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good depiction and a readable style., 20 Jun 2011
S. Hyde "Artist" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
It is reasonably accurate in its observations, confusions and feelings of these characters affected by domestic violence and it has a nice readable style that is quite focused.

4.0 out of 5 stars heartrending, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
I could not put this book down. beautifully written and i went through every emotion with Fran on her journey.the ending was quite unexpected which made a change from other stories where you can normally see how its going to end. thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 19 April 2010
M. Pfeiffer "marion" (knysna, south africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black and Blue (Paperback)
Another interesting story from this author, absorbing and I felt I driven to finish the story as she keeps you anxious about Fran's future and possibilities all the time

Black And Blue
Black And Blue by Anna Quindlen (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
7.99