5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving and real portrait.
Published on 4 Oct. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars An ending that leaves you feeling disappointed
I've read a few of Oprah's selections and I was really looking forward to reading this one. However, I did feel a bit let down, particularly by the ending. I feel that the final section could have been explored a lot more. In my opinion it ends too abruptly.
Published on 30 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving and real portrait., 4 Oct. 1999
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Anna Quindlen, recommended to me by a friend. I found it very easy to read however in no way a simple story. The portrayal of the main character's feelings and fears is spot-on and you are following her every emotion with empathy and interest. As a reader you feel you have been given a valuable insight into a very private world, normally kept behind closed doors. Very moving, almost to the point of tears. I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. You will get jittery with her!, 27 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Black and Blue (Paperback)
I honestly could not put this book down. YOu start to panic with her and are desperate to know what happens at the end. The end was quite unexpected - you usually expect a good ending, which this was with a twist.
I loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ending that leaves you feeling disappointed, 30 May 2001
By A Customer
A positive aspect of this book is that it shows how difficult it is for a woman to break free of her violent husband, and the reality that even when she is free, he still has some kind of hold on her, he's constantly in her mind.
Overall I think the author tackled a difficult subject very well, the emotive prose helps us to relate to the main character Fran (Beth), who is living a nightmare. The difficulties that both her and her son, Robert, must endure in their new lifestyles in Florida, so very different to the one they led in New York, for him that he cant be with his father, and for her the fear that her husband will find them, which inevitably does happen.
Black and Blue is well written, and it does touch you, however as I mentioned above the ending was cut short, and I was left feeling a little disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars As hard to put down as it is to pick up., 9 Aug. 2009
E. Lander (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
Simply put, Black and Blue is the story of a woman taking her child and running away from her abusive husband. It's not a book I would have naturally been drawn to, but I read it for my book club. It's the stuff of the talk show and many a dodgy TV Movie, so I had my doubts.

However, Black and Blue is well written. It's also harrowing as you might expect. I was particularly moved by the fears Fran has for the future of her son, who, although never a direct recipient of the abuse his mother suffered, was always there quietly in the background, unable to shut out his parents' destructive relationship. Fran sees the strong resemblance between her beloved son and the man she love/loathes and fears for his future.

Anna Quindlen writes so vividly, you feel she must have had some personal experience, if not, she's done her research well and listened to a lot of women who've been through this ordeal. I can't say I enjoyed this book, but it was as hard to put down as it was to pick up. (Although I really wouldn't want to read it again!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book!!, 6 April 1999
This review is from: Black and Blue (Paperback)
This book kept me in suspense the whole time. The ending is unbelievable. You'll rush to get to the end, to find out completely different results than you had expected!! This is a Must have book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love Anna Quindlen books, 23 Aug. 2014
Nick (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black And Blue (Kindle Edition)
I Love Anna Quindlen books, and 'enjoyed' this despite the subject matter. All the way through I hoped for a happy ending, but it was quite dark even in the end, with only a glimmer of light. Perhaps a truly happy ending would have been unrealistic.....

4.0 out of 5 stars heartrending, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
I could not put this book down. beautifully written and i went through every emotion with Fran on her journey.the ending was quite unexpected which made a change from other stories where you can normally see how its going to end. thoroughly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Let-Down., 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
I found it very disappointing. Well written and could have been so much better if finished well after all the tension, and rather a stupid mistake in the story too. A let-down. Not a patch on 'Every Last One'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good depiction and a readable style., 20 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Black And Blue (Paperback)
It is reasonably accurate in its observations, confusions and feelings of these characters affected by domestic violence and it has a nice readable style that is quite focused.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 19 April 2010
M. Pfeiffer "marion" (knysna, south africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black and Blue (Paperback)
Another interesting story from this author, absorbing and I felt I driven to finish the story as she keeps you anxious about Fran's future and possibilities all the time

Black And Blue
Black And Blue by Anna Quindlen (Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)