Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2013
Jasper Jones was a book that I chose from a list of books for my homework over the holidays. To be honest, it was ok, but the fact that I had to read it during the holidays was the problem. Anyway more about the book. It is very complex. The themes were good and if you read a book for a meaning then read this book. However, I don't read a book for this reason. I read it for the funny bits and for the adventure. This book had this, but it was very much shaded by all the meanings and the themes. The main character was more of a professor than a thirteen year old. There was too much talking about life and about the themes that the author was trying to tell the reader and that made it very tedious to read. The plot itself seems very unrealistic. The book is hard to read and uses some words that I did not know so I wouldn't recommend it to kids. Another reason was I wouldn't recommend it to kids or even teenagers is because there is too much theme and deep meaning talk and not enough adventure and mystery. I would recommend it to teachers and people who read books for the theme and study a book. I like books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, books that are more fun and easy to read than this book that had to much deep meaning. I did think it was going to be better than it was. So, I guess it was disappointing and that is one of the reasons I put that rating. One of the only things I liked was a character called Jeffrey Lu but not because of the theme that went with him but because he was the only funny and awesome thing in there. Anyway,this is only my opinion so by all means see for yourself.
-Dan
on 22 September 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
An atmospheric coming of age tale set in 1960s Australia. This compares to To Kill a Mockingbird and evokes a similar Southern Gothic atmosphere albeit in a different country. Strong characters and well written prose combine to make a novel worth reading. This is suitable for young teenagers and adults alike. Highly recommended.
on 4 November 2014
Fast pace, quirky and sadly heart wrenching because young people suffer abuse. I thought the boys conservations believable and quite inspiring at times.
on 10 May 2014
Silver takes you on a journey to small town Australia of the past with all of its small mindedness and prejudice. Thought provoking and sad.
on 19 November 2013
Keeps the readers interest with every page... A great insight into the predujices and the mind set of mid'60s Austalian society.
on 7 October 2010
lovely book, nice to read something different. I have lived in Australia & could relate to lots of experiences in the book
on 23 February 2013
recommended very recommended and very interesting and very good buy and very good value for money and very easy reading
on 2 December 2015
A very good read encouraging you all the way to keep reading beautifully written about young love and families
on 17 July 2010
I bought this without hesitation having read the rave reviews and awards it has won in Australia. The reviews make it out to be the new To Kill a Mockingbird/Catcher in the Rye/Huck Finn - well yes, but only because that's how the main character sees himself so not much insight there. The book never quite lives up to the drama and tension that its central event deserves, leaving a constant frustration at the next unbelievable event.

Ignore the hype. To Kill a Mockingbird this is not. Stick with Peter Carey, the real deal.
on 26 September 2015
A story that captures you and characters that never leave you and truly remarkable story.